GreenCactus

Was it you???

I think the problem is with the people that think their MINI is just a car for commuting. It pains me that their MINIs don't know love.

You're probably right. I have 159 miles on my '14 Roadster S - a two-week Florida vacation interrupted my break-in period - but I can honestly say my MINI is more than a "commuter car". There is a major difference between driving and motoring, one that becomes more obvious each time I fire up the turbo and hit the streets of Northern Virginia. And when the top goes down ..... yikes!

2014 Roadster S: Pepper White; Black Seats; 6 Speed Manual; JCW Ext. Package; Chrome Driving Lamps; City Pack; 17" Cross Spoke Challenge Wheels, etc. Ordered: Aug 17th. Name: "John Bull" (the British Uncle Sam)

I'll keep trying. Do people recognize the Roadster as a MINI, or are they largely ignorant of the "wave"?

Ignorant and/or lazy... In 4 months back here I've gotten maybe 3 waves... 10 years ago as the club was starting you would be waved at from 90% of the MINIs you saw - however there were a lot fewer MINIs around, and a lot of those who bought a MINI back then were an enthusiast of some sort or another... Now, with 5 dealers within 50 miles of each other and a tremendous secondary market the MINI is a lot more mainstream in the area. There's a lot more commuters, students and other folks who view their MINI as just a car and not an entry into a community. As a result they typically don't know, and more likely don't care about the wave...

10 years ago there wasn't much of a difference between a MINI owner and a MINI Enthusiast - the same can't be said now.

The reality is that today at least in this area, the wave is more MINI enthusiasts recognizing each other and less MINI owners recognizing each other.

That being said, yesterday I got a wave from a White Countryman with Black stripes on Telegraph Road just south of Van Dorn St... I totally wasn't expecting them to wave back...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I get waves in my Roadster, but usually because I initiate them. Been keeping an eye out for you in the neighborhood too, but no sightings of John Bull yet!

I'm out there, so keep looking! Surely, we have to be the only Roadsters in the Centreville area. Had my top down all day yesterday - what a great day for motoring! I had coffee at Starbucks last night (by Kohl's in Fair Lakes). While sitting outside enjoying a cigar and espresso, I watched a few cars pull up to my parking spot to check out the Roadster. It's so rare, I actually think people stop simply to find out what it is. As an aside, I must say my Roadster has the best manual transmission I've ever driven.

2014 Roadster S: Pepper White; Black Seats; 6 Speed Manual; JCW Ext. Package; Chrome Driving Lamps; City Pack; 17" Cross Spoke Challenge Wheels, etc. Ordered: Aug 17th. Name: "John Bull" (the British Uncle Sam)

Ignorant and/or lazy... In 4 months back here I've gotten maybe 3 waves... 10 years ago as the club was starting you would be waved at from 90% of the MINIs you saw - however there were a lot fewer MINIs around, and a lot of those who bought a MINI back then were an enthusiast of some sort or another... Now, with 5 dealers within 50 miles of each other and a tremendous secondary market the MINI is a lot more mainstream in the area. There's a lot more commuters, students and other folks who view their MINI as just a car and not an entry into a community. As a result they typically don't know, and more likely don't care about the wave...

10 years ago there wasn't much of a difference between a MINI owner and a MINI Enthusiast - the same can't be said now.

The reality is that today at least in this area, the wave is more MINI enthusiasts recognizing each other and less MINI owners recognizing each other.

That being said, yesterday I got a wave from a White Countryman with Black stripes on Telegraph Road just south of Van Dorn St... I totally wasn't expecting them to wave back...

I think you've hit the nail on the head: Enthusiast vs. Owner.

I must say I've been getting a healthy number of waves in the Gaithersburg MD area but y'all are right, you can generally tell the "point a to b" owner vs the enthusiast.

I can't tell you how many times I sit on 14th street in rush hour with a MINI right next to me and the owner won't even turn and look to see the wave. I hate it, I sit there whining "But you're in a MINI, why won't you look and wave?" It makes the traffic better when you find a friend and chat about your awesome cars!!!

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I know it wasn't you but SMOKIE and I got a :top: double thumbs up :top: from a pedestrian just past the Army Navy Country Club in Fairfax on Saturday.

Not sure where he was coming from cause I'm pretty sure there were only trees in that area. :stupid:

Thanks for the love, nonetheless!:rock:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Ghostbusters theme? MINI owners are definitely "not normal". And that's awesome for a conservative guy like me - I think it's great to associate with people with a flair for life. Nobody in my circle of friends would employ a Ghostbusters theme on their vehicle, paint their wheels neon, or display helipads and British flags on their roof.

Saw this Ghostbusters MINI near Ashburn this past weekend. Awesome!:rock:

Oh!! He is on the Countryman group on facebook. There is this really awesome picture of him in front of a spooky house on the page. But here is a bunch of MINIs decked out like the gb mobile.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31818

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ghostbusters theme? MINI owners are definitely "not normal". And that's awesome for a conservative guy like me - I think it's great to associate with people with a flair for life. Nobody in my circle of friends would employ a Ghostbusters theme on their vehicle, paint their wheels neon, or display helipads and British flags on their roof.

+1! :top:

image.php?u=1181&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Steve hello!!, thought we lost you.

Never! Just been a rough year with work schedules and travel and such. Will try and do more to be around now that the year is wrapping up.

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

BANDIT spotted the Wiz Pod at Alamo Draft House tonight/this morning!

:waving: Hope you enjoyed the picture! 6hrs of film is plenty!

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

BANDIT spotted the Wiz Pod at Alamo Draft House tonight/this morning!

:waving: Hope you enjoyed the picture! 6hrs of film is plenty!

yeah, that POD gets around (: :itsme:

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"