Edge

Spring Fling 2012: Drive & Lunch in VA wine country

It's that time of the year again! Spring is in the air, old man Winter is running off to hide, and the trees are starting to blossom!

Just like I did in previous years, I'm organizing the Spring Fling run again, this time on Sunday, April 15. Generally speaking, I prefer to organize this event for the weekend following tax day... but this year I have to do it earlier for these reasons:

• The IRS has extended the tax deadline to Tuesday, April 17
  • I have a work-related commitment on the following weekend (April 21/22), and the weekend after that (April 28/29) is immediately prior to MOTD, which would make things difficult for many people.

So... save the date for Sunday, April 15! Even if you haven't finished your taxes by then, you'll still have 2 more nights after that to do them!

WHERE TO MEET: Sterling Wegmans parking lot (North-East corner). The address is 45131 Columbia Place, Sterling, VA 20166

WHEN: Sunday, April 15 @ 9:00am. Driver's meeting at 9:50am. We depart at 10am sharp! Don't be late!

RUN DISTANCE: 68.2 miles (morning) + 69.4 miles (afternoon) = 137.6 miles total. Easy "early exits" available in afternoon at 85.9 miles (Rt 66), 94.2 miles (Rt 50), 106 miles (Rt 7).

RUN TIME: Approx 6.5 hours - we will return to the Wegmans parking lot at approx. 4:30pm.

WHAT TO BRING: Full tank of gas, 2-way radio, money to buy lunch (cash please - makes it easier for the check), sweater/raincoat/umbrella (if necessary, depending on weather) and a fun-loving attitude! :top:

A quick refresher:

One of my fondest MINI-related memories is the very first drive I ever participated in with DCMM - it was the Spring Fling, created by Bruce Pancoast (mty_mini), and organized with help from Jen Oakes (Jen) (who was our event coordinator at the time). This all happened on Sunday, April 24, 2005... only 6 or 7 weeks after I picked up my brand new MINI. Alan (Scavenger), who was getting his first exposure to the MINI, came along as my co-pilot.

Meeting in the Sterling Wegmans parking lot (near MINI of Sterling), it was fun to meet a whole bunch of like-minded MINIacs all at once, for the first time. Little did I know just how much fun there was still to come... after grabbing some coffee and/or breakfast snacks from Wegmans.

The roads were beautiful and twisty, and was such an awesome experience to be in a long line of MINIs for the very first time. We stopped for lunch at Orlean Market in Upperville, VA (in western Fauquier County), then continued on for wine tasting at Naked Mountain Vineyard & Winery after that, before heading all the way back to Wegmans.

It was a long day (128 miles or so!), but so nice. Needless to say, I was eager to do this run again.

Our lunch stop will be again be at Griffin Tavern (brunch menu), since Orlean Market closed down a number of years ago. Unfortunately, since it is "Sunday brunch", the menu is more limited than their regular menu, but they still have their famous Shepherd's Pie! Also, the manager told me that they can make some accommodations if advance notice is given.

NOTE: The plan is to have 1 check per table, so to make things easier to sort out, please bring sufficient cash to cover your portion of the check.

For those interested or curious:

Original Spring Fling thread (2005)

Spring Fling 2008 thread

Spring Fling 2009 thread

Spring Fling 2010 thread

Spring Fling 2010 Morning Route on Google Maps

Spring Fling 2010 Afternoon Route on Google Maps

Spring Fling 2011 thread

Spring Fling 2012 Route Sheet

Spring Fling 2012 Waiver Form

NOTE: All non-member drivers are expected to sign a waiver before participating.

NOTE #2: Due to severe size limitations from the local wineries, we do not participate in wine tasting any more. However, you are welcome to order yourself a glass of wine with lunch at Griffin Tavern. :biggrin:

Hope to see many of you out there again!

Please be sure to RSVP as soon as you know for sure whether you're coming or not, so we can give a reasonably accurate head count to Griffin Tavern. They have given us a hard cap of 60 people, so if we reach that number, RSVPs will be closed.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Are we meeting on the 9th or 15th?
Oops! You caught a small mistake in the event info. Fixed! The date of the event is Sunday, April 15.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Trying to review the previous route sheets results in 'invalid attachment' message.
Oops. Seems the forum problem we had last year (we lost some data and had to bring in an "expert" to help recover it) caused the route sheet attachments to be lost. Oh well, sorry about that. I have removed the links to the previous run sheets... and I will post this year's as soon as it is finalized, which will probably be next Monday.

You can get an idea of it by looking at the 2010 Google Maps links - the route hasn't really changed since then. :smile:

Hey aautomaan - with regards to radio choices. Several of us have gone through a few sets and we've settled on Cobra's. I'll have to find the model number but the selling point is good battery life (a day or two in use) and they have a rewind feature so you can catch that last call without a "say what"!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Hey aautomaan - with regards to radio choices. Several of us have gone through a few sets and we've settled on Cobra's. I'll have to find the model number but the selling point is good battery life (a day or two in use) and they have a rewind feature so you can catch that last call without a "say what"!
Yep! From an old post of mine (I updated the prices though):
If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, I can highly recommend 2 different models:

They are both "high end" 2-way radios. I own both. I have also owned several "high end" Motorola units, and both of these beat the Motorolas hands down, IMO. There are pros and cons to each of the two above. Primarily:

Cobra

• Giant Lithium battery... seems to last forever

• Ability to auto-record (and playback) the last 20 seconds of incoming transmissions. Fantastic when you didn't hear what they said, and you don't want to ask them to repeat it

Midlands

• Waterproof (well... very very water resistant. Obviously not designed to be completely dunked underwater!)

• Can accept AA batteries if necessary (comes with a rechargeable battery pack though)

As for range, nothing short of a full-on car radio transmitter (with FCC license) is going to give you lots of range in mountainous areas. The two I listed above are at the "high end" for what is legally allowed in these consumer devices in terms of power output.

Hey everyone - I have updated the event details in the main post at the top, and I have also uploaded the route sheet for this year's event!

In addition, I have attached the waiver form to this message (I'll also link to it in the main event post). All non-member drivers will be required to sign and submit this form before participating. We will have them at the event - I just wanted to provide the form in advance, so people can read it ahead of time, if they like... or even print it out and bring it along with them, already signed.

Looking forward to the run - less than 2 weeks to go! :biggrin:

Waiver - Spring Fling 2012.doc

Waiver - Spring Fling 2012.doc

this is just for non-member drivers right? or is it for any person who isn't a member

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

this is just for non-member drivers right? or is it for any person who isn't a member
Oops - correct... just non-member drivers. Fixed! :smile:

Anyone else having problems downing loading the route sheet :questionmark:

I click on the link and it says "you do not have permission to access this page" :banghead:

im having the same problem :frown::frown::frown:

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

Anyone else having problems downing loading the route sheet :questionmark:

I click on the link and it says "you do not have permission to access this page" :banghead:

im having the same problem :frown::frown::frown:
It should work now, sorry about that. :embarassed:
If you need another sweeper, I'm game! If I have a copilot I'll see if they are up for relay duties.
Well, we're up to 21 MINIs confirmed, and 8 more MINIs that are "Maybes"... with over a week to go for people to sign on. That likely means we'll need to split into at least 2 groups, like we've done before. Relays and sweepers will be key! Thank for volunteering, Quitta. :biggrin: