I know that not everyone agrees with me on this aspect of seafoam treatments but as you mentioned, I actually plan my seafoam treatments to coincide with oil changes. I don't like the idea of putting solvents into the engine where they are bound to mix with the oil and then leaving them.

As far as a new car? The newest MINI can start having carbon build up within it's first year. I think a lot of Quitta's problems with the Blur can be attributed to the carbon build up and MINI USA's refusal to admit that there is an issue. I don't think it would be a bad idea to establish a routine of doing a seafoam treatment with every oil change.

My carbon buildup was so bad after having my MINI for only 2 years that it needed to be forcefully blasted out of my engine with a sandblaster-like treatment.

The seafoam sounds like a good preventative to that type of necessary maintenance!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For the record, I Seafoamed my 94 Wrangler again today. I backtracked this thread and found my last seafoam was 6/2010 and 10K miles ago. Amazed how much more spirited the ol' 4.0 motor seemed on the way home tonight.

If you're even THINKING about using seafoam, DO IT! You'll be pleased!

As far as a new car? The newest MINI can start having carbon build up within it's first year. I think a lot of Quitta's problems with the Blur can be attributed to the carbon build up and MINI USA's refusal to admit that there is an issue. I don't think it would be a bad idea to establish a routine of doing a seafoam treatment with every oil change.

Yes, Seafoam has become part of BLURs balanced diet. The last visit she had before her first Seafoam treatment was for a Dealer-style carbon treatment. BLUR coded yet still and once we performed our home Seafoam treatment BLUR was codeless for quite some time. The Seafoam treatment, along with all the other tinkering, allowed the techs to finally see the real issue. Carbon buildup is as real problem but a little MINI PMS goes a long way.

Reminds me that I need to hit Fairfax Motors for my in-between oil change. ;)

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

I think everyone was smiling much more after the Seafoam party and then when we made the stop at Tropical smoothie afterward, there was improvement EVERYWHERE!

And where did you go to do your Seafoaming? Just for future reference--and if you don't want to say where out here, please PM me.

Thanks!

And where did you go to do your Seafoaming? Just for future reference--and if you don't want to say where out here, please PM me.

Thanks!

We did it in my neighborhood. I have pretty tolerant neighbors, but we all drove off of the street and out of the neighborhood to blow out the smoke. Not something I can host all of the time of course.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I just bought 11 more cans of Seafoam at AAP. The sale ends in 4 days, and 6.99 is 30% off the usual $9.99 price. Time to stock up! After the sale is over, the 1 gallon big cans will become the better deal again ($59.99 each).

You could say that I'm a convert. :angel:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Actually Haemish, if we consider quantity, you are now the leader of "Team Seafoam".

I was thinking about your Seafoam experience last weekend and with the amount of smoke that you made, you might consider another treatment sooner to see if you can get a little more carbon out.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Actually Haemish, if we consider quantity, you are now the leader of "Team Seafoam".

I was thinking about your Seafoam experience last weekend and with the amount of smoke that you made, you might consider another treatment sooner to see if you can get a little more carbon out.

Craig - I had already planned on it. It's also why I put an entire can in both the vacuum tube and the gas tank! :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

This just occurred to me! HAHA, I was reading some stuff on NAM and this idea just popped in my head. Trying to explain how Mr. OEM (Edge's MINI) produced so much smoke. Now, realizing that he did put an entire can of Seafoam in the PCV, but still, I just wonder....

His MINI has the JCW kit which uses a colder heat range Spark plug, (7 as opposed to 6) than standard S models. I don't think anyone else there had an R53 JCW that day and even though most of the other R53's (B.A. and Tigger at least) have a pulley and other mods, they probably have standard plugs, I know B.A. does.

Could it be possible that the lower range plug is enough to cool the engine enough to promote higher rate of carbon build-up?

Just a MINI geek thought for the night :laugh::biggrin::tongue:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

This just occurred to me! HAHA, I was reading some stuff on NAM and this idea just popped in my head. Trying to explain how Mr. OEM (Edge's MINI) produced so much smoke. Now, realizing that he did put an entire can of Seafoam in the PCV, but still, I just wonder....

His MINI has the JCW kit which uses a colder heat range Spark plug, (7 as opposed to 6) than standard S models. I don't think anyone else there had an R53 JCW that day and even though most of the other R53's (B.A. and Tigger at least) have a pulley and other mods, they probably have standard plugs, I know B.A. does.

Could it be possible that the lower range plug is enough to cool the engine enough to promote higher rate of carbon build-up?

Just a MINI geek thought for the night :laugh::biggrin::tongue:

Tigger does have the standard plugs. I wonder if you're right

Who's so full of :idea: today?

you can find anything on the :pcguru:

Tggrrr010.jpg

I have the colder plugs since it is recommended with the pulley install.

I wonder how bad my smoke will be since I have not done the Seafoam treatment yet :questionmark:

Let's do it!!! Time to seafoam gute fahrt (I cant spell in German)

Tggrrr010.jpg

Roy,

I think alot of the problem we have is oil blowby on the supercharger (1st gens) or Turbocharger (2nd gens). Otherwise, the "Justa" is the same so there is probably some benefit in it. Keep reading this thread, I'm sure some of the seafoam addicts will be meeting up again in the near future so they can get their solvent fix!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Is it Seafoam party time again already?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com