I'm not really sure, I think every few months.

I did figure out that it's when I toss it in the tank that it improves the gas mileage. Last weekend when Craig helped me do my second Seafoam we put almost the whole can in the pvc valve. It smoked like crazy and is more responsive but there was no change in gas mileage. I just happened to have another can so this morning I put that in and my gas mileage jumped from 17 mpg to 19 mpg with an average speed of 17 mph. I hate all the city driving, I rarely get to see any decent gas mileage.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Oh how you torture me Craig :banghead:

I guess it's a gen 1 thing, my gas mileage is really bad. I wonder if I can toss a can of seafoam in the tank once a week, will it help?

Don't know much about seafoam, but I know lots of people think they get higher MPG when they add additives to their tank, not thinking about the fact that their MPG might have gone up because there's that much more liquid in the tank :p

If it is a good cleanser though, once every tank my be overkill

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh how you torture me Craig :banghead:

I guess it's a gen 1 thing, my gas mileage is really bad. I wonder if I can toss a can of seafoam in the tank once a week, will it help?

If you are trying to compare your mileage to Craig's, it will never match up. You have a 1st Gen and a Cabrio..... Worst combo for mileage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Craig gets way more then my mileage. I just would like to get something a tad better, but I guess it won't happen.

I did read that a lot of the mods that are recommended can increase performance and gas mileage, so maybe as I add more it will get a bit better.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Getting better mileage is a simple concept. It is related to the activity of our right foot. Unfortunately, most of us have a bit of difficulty with that. ( reason we drive Mini's). I am lucky to drive about 80% highway. That's how I get 31. Of course if I drove 20 MPH slower, I would get about 33. :)

Ali,

Don't forget, you can't compare MPG between 1st and 2nd Gen cars. It's apples and strawberries so see what other 1st Gen cars are getting and see how you compare with them. Of course it's true, the "speed modulator device" or "Gas Pedal" has a big part to play and that's why you've never heard me mention my "city mileage"... It's not great, 20 or so for the most part. I accept it because it's how I drive. My good MPG come from road trips when I can set the cruise control at 70-75, turn off the A/C and just have the vent going for cool air.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

My '06 S Coupe has a pulley and tune and a higher rated fuel pump and regulator. I commute daily between Annandale and Tysons. I average about 25mpg. Highway is better of course, on my drive to and from the Dragon this year, I think I hit 33mpg.

Jay, what does Stacey usually get with her MINI, that would be good to compare to, Ali.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

My '06 S Coupe has a pulley and tune and a higher rated fuel pump and regulator. I commute daily between Annandale and Tysons. I average about 25mpg. Highway is better of course, on my drive to and from the Dragon this year, I think I hit 33mpg.

Jay, what does Stacey usually get with her MINI, that would be good to compare to, Ali.

I just asked Stacey and she doesn't know. Doesn't pay attention, but she filled up at 282 miles on the tank and 6 miles left on the range if that helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even coming back from the Dragon I was running 29 mpg.

Jay can you ask Stacey to to just click the little button on the steering wheel and see what it says her avg MPG and avg speed is?

She has the pulley and a gen 1, she is a good one to compare to.

I do drive with a fairly even acceleration, sometimes I get a little happy and like to feel the MINI fun but I'm not one of those that's jerky on the gas pedal. When I drove Koop Craig even commented to me on how even I was on the accelerator.

Where would be a good place to do the Seafoam party? A big old parking lot would be best.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

I would like to try this stuff. Where do you get it? I went on their web site and it talked more about adding it to the oil. From the description here you all are using it to clean the carbon buildup off the back of the valves and combustion chambers. I assume putting it in the gas tank is to clean the fuel injectors. Does the can talk about using it for that? TGGRRR there are a lot of possibilities your gas mileage went up when you added Seafoam to the tank. I could give you a very technical discussion without ever being able to say this is it. There are lots of variables. The bottom line is probably, is the cost of the Seafoam offset by the increase in gas mileage? The other issue with products like this is the affect on the catalytic converter. I am confident that used as the manufacture intended, it will not harm the converter. The question is that if it is used very frequently will the converter be able to burn up the excess carbon and whatever is in the Seafoam? All the smoke coming out the tail pipe when Seafoam is added could be a problem for the converter.

waiddaminnit...you guys are putting SeaFoam in the crankcase?????!! It's a gasoline additive....at least that's what it says on the label.

I've been using for a couple of years, but only in the gas tank.....one can, once a month.

I buy it by the case, tho' it's available by the single can as well. AutoZone and Pepboys carry it...

Katie,

Yep, it's a gasoline additive (the type that we use). Some people add it to the crankcase very shortly before an oil change. My experience is that it would evaporate from the crankcase pretty quick. I ain't gonna be the one to blaze a trail on that method and I'll only help with the induction system treatments. +1 on Pep Boys, that's where I get mine.

Here is the website for Seafoam products. http://www.seafoamsales.com/ Pretty interesting reading on what Seafoam can do for your engine :top: They also make a Seafoam spray and a neat product called Bugs B Gone. They state it neutralizes the acid in bugs remains and can be used for cleaning off your radiator or any other bug kill zones :biggrin: They also state it neutralized brake dust and then the rims are easily cleaned with a hose. I will find some and post a followup :top:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

I did my first Seafoam treatment tonight. Got a strange look from a neighbor that was walking his dog... suppose it was all the smoke :aetsch:

Currently have 41k. I'll probably do it again after my roadtrip to Atlanta this weekend. Perhaps I'll add some to my gas as well.

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

Seafoam is the trade name for a solvent used to clean the fuel path on cars.

Please forgive me if I cover something you know here. Most cars have a fuel path from the delivery system (injected or carb), through the intake manifold, past the intake valve and into the cylinder (combustion chamber) and then out.

MINI's are direct injection systems which means the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. The PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system on the MINI dumps oil vapor into the intake tract and it runs along, swirling and flowing until it passes through over the intake valve into the cylinder. We are seeing a problem with this because it causes the oil to build up along the intake tract and especially on the back of the intake valves. This is because there's no gasoline to come along and "wash" the tract or the valves.

Those of us who "seafoam" our cars on a periodic basis will access the PCV valve and pour the product into the vacuum line so it flows through the intake tract and literally dissolves the gunk and the carbon build up.

Without reading back through this thread - which I've contributed to several times - the "typical" method involves starting the car (gotta have the vacuum going) and pulling the PCV line and slowly pouring 1/2 to 2/3's of a can of seafoam into it. Shut the car down, let it sit for a while (I usually let it sit for 30 minutes or so) so the seafoam can soak in and break up the gunk. After that, start it up and annoy the crap out of your neighbors. Usually the car will produce lots of smoke for several minutes and then small quantities for a few minutes once you take it out and drive it.

We are pretty sure that it's an issue in the eyes of MINI as they are now doing carbon cleaning on cars that go in with some issues (rough idle, misfires and the like).

I don't know how everyone else feels about this but my routine is to do the seafoam treatment as above and I'll pour the rest of the can into the tank (don't get it on your paint) and then I drive around for a day or so. Then, I have the oil changed.

I have not done a seafoam treatment since I installed the oil catch can but it's time for it and I'll report on the amount of smoke - which should be a rough picture of the amount of "crap" that was dissolved and flushed through the combustion chamber.

Too much information?

Short answer - it's a solvent used to dissolve carbon build up in the intake track of internal combustion engines...

I just did a Seafoam treatment on Tigger. I tried doing it by myself but kept stalling out the car. Then my neighbor who was gardening volunteered to help so she kept a foot on the gas which kept it running. I saw a trick on youtube that worked pretty well. I had a small piece of 3/8" plastic tube in the can of Seafoam and let the intake pull it in from the tube.

Tigger didn't smoke nearly as much as last time. I let it sit for 30 mins then took him for a run, while it was smoking he was running really rough. I kept the rpm's him and drove him about 5 minutes when I noticed the engine smooth out nicely and the smoke was gone.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg