wonder why I'm averaging 30 MPG.. using 89 so I dunno
Don't use 89. Use at least 91, if not 93. It's what the car is designed for!

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Who's hosting?

Hmmm, dunno, anyone we know with a new garage? :wink:

wonder why I'm averaging 30 MPG.. using 89 so I dunno

Cooper or Cooper S? If you're not romping on it, the computer will retard the timing to keep it from pinging, but that's not really optimal. See quote below:

Don't use 89. Use at least 91, if not 93. It's what the car is designed for!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Is this the correct way to use seafoam for a R56 MCS?

I am going to try to do it this weekend, along with a friend who has a 2003 Justa.

The only thing I would add is to have someone on the gas. I have never managed to get the Seafoam in without almost stalling the engine. If you have a person behind the wheel they can hit the gas and keep it from stalling.

Also you want to let it sit with the engine off at least 10 minutes, but 30 is not too long.

Once the sit time is over and you start it up, keep the rpm's high until the smoke is gone.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Is this the correct way to use seafoam for a R56 MCS?

I am going to try to do it this weekend, along with a friend who has a 2003 Justa.

Ryan - that is the proper way for an R56. If you keep your thumb over the open end of the vacuum hose and dribble the sea foam in, you can keep it running with one person. You just don't want to let it have too much of a hole or it gets too much air, leans out and dies.

As Ali said, after the waiting period, start it up and make sure all of your windows are closed and your A/C is on recirc, not fresh air or it'll just pull the smoke right in. Even better, if you can point it head on into the breeze/wind, you won't have to worry about the smoke. Let it run for a couple of minutes, revving it up and then, take it for a drive and keep the RPMs up there. For the next 15 minutes or so, whenever you get the RPMs up, it's gonna smoke a little but it stops pretty quick.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Nube popping in again:

So this "seafoam" thing is something I should be doing to my buggy on a regualr basis?

So I am not an expert in this by any means, but if I understand it, Gen2 (R55/56) MINIs get carbon buildup in the engine. Seafoam, when applied like this, soaks into the carbon buildup, loosening it, and letting it be cleaned out of the engine.

Someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that I have heard that once every 6 months or so is helpful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I am not an expert in this by any means, but if I understand it, Gen2 (R55/56) MINIs get carbon buildup in the engine. Seafoam, when applied like this, soaks into the carbon buildup, loosening it, and letting it be cleaned out of the engine.

Someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that I have heard that once every 6 months or so is helpful.

Yup, that's it!!!

But I have a gen one and do it occasionally too

Tggrrr010.jpg

So I don't go into a long and drawn out "technical" description again, search the forum here on DCMM for sea foam (or spell it as one word) and you'll find a few posts that give the reason for this. There are some who way it's not worth the effort and that it doesn't do anything but I'll simply point to the fact that the dealer now has a set up in which they pull the intake manifold off the car and use a mild abrasive (ground up walnut shells) and they "blast" the back of the intake valves with it to clear the carbon build up. In my previous MINI, I never had to do that and I give credit to regular sea foam treatments.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

So is this par-tee going to ever happen? Inquiring minds want to know.

The problem with a Seafoam party is a location. The cars will smoke really bad and no one wants to host. I did it once in my neighborhood but it was kind of stinky and I think the neighbors were not amused. We always struggle with this one

Tggrrr010.jpg

The problem with a Seafoam party is a location. The cars will smoke really bad and no one wants to host. I did it once in my neighborhood but it was kind of stinky and I think the neighbors were not amused. We always struggle with this one

Ah yes, the age old issue: location, location, location.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Pick the parking lot of some closed big-box store or grocery store. There is noone there who COULD mind, even if they wanted to. I also doubt anyone would mind in the back corner of an auto-zone parking lot or something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pick the parking lot of some closed big-box store or grocery store. There is noone there who COULD mind, even if they wanted to. I also doubt anyone would mind in the back corner of an auto-zone parking lot or something.

I don't find the initial Seafoam Application location the issue. It's the 'smoking gun' driving route that is tough.

Government Center turned out to be a great location for both application and expulsion when I lived in FFX.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL"