Edge

Spring Fling 2014: Drive & Lunch in VA wine country

I'm just curious why you don't want to go if it's raining. It's still a lot of fun

It is a great event! But driving with that many cars can be a little frustrating. Add rain and it only makes it worse.

I wanna go fast!!!!:motor:

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Just got the ok from the boss, I am <b>OFF</b>!!!!! It'll be my first Spring Fling, Lucy said she's very excited!!!!!

Should we bring a tow strap for that "iffy" clutch you are driving on?

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

This past Saturday we did the Spring Fling practice run - tremendous thanks to Laura (GreenCactus) and Michael (TheMichael) for their help in doing it!

We didn't run into any unexpected obstructions or detours, however the road conditions are definitely reduced this year, with more potholes than usual. It has indeed been a particularly nasty winter, so that is not too surprising. I'll be trying to call out the really bad potholes on the run (especially in the worst areas), but just a word of warning for everyone to keep a sharpy eye out for them! We don't want anyone to have a bad day with a ruined tire and/or wheel.

Attached is the new route sheet for 2014, which I will also link to in the main event post at the top. There are some additional notes I have which will only be called out on the radio (lack of space to fit them all in).

I'm looking forward to the run! :top:

Oh, one other thing - I need a few volunteers to be "relays" and one to be the "sweeper". Ideally these should be people who have a passenger to help navigate in the event that the group gets separated, but it is not a requirement.

Is anyone up for that? :angel:

DCMM Spring Fling 2014 Route Sheet.xlsx

DCMM Spring Fling 2014 Route Sheet.xlsx

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

If you want! But the iffy clutch is getting replaced soon. Detroit Tuned shipped the new one yesterday. I'll just make sound effects!

You need to break the new clutch in so take it easy on the run. We're taking Max because it's just too hard to not get lively with the Tigger on the run. He got a new clutch this weekend I was told 500 mile break in. I asked what that means and was told no fast starts, no aggressive shifting. So basically no fun.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

You need to break the new clutch in so take it easy on the run. We're taking Max because it's just too hard to not get lively with the Tigger on the run. He got a new clutch this weekend I was told 500 mile break in. I asked what that means and was told no fast starts, no aggressive shifting. So basically no fun.

I won't have the clutch installed until ......... probably after Spring Fling. It is still in transit from Detroit Tuned, should arrive Friday and I haven't been able to schedule an appointment at Passport for the install so I'm going to be cruising on the busted one.

I won't have the clutch installed until ......... probably after Spring Fling. It is still in transit from Detroit Tuned, should arrive Friday and I haven't been able to schedule an appointment at Passport for the install so I'm going to be cruising on the busted one.

Craig being the tow strap :biggrin:

Tggrrr010.jpg

Craig being the tow strap :biggrin:

I'll be granny shifting don't worry. My clutch has been going bad since February, I'm not worried! Although I'll probably bail after lunch since I want to drop my car off at Passport MINI of Alexandria and grab a loaner.

Hey guys - I'm looking forward to the Spring Fling on Saturday! The weather forecast is calling for 60/61 and sunny (in Sterling and Flint Hill), at least according to Weather.com, so it's looking good!

Currently we only have 34 people and ~22 cars (Catalina and I will be riding together), so it will be a bit smaller group than the past couple of years, which should prove to make the run a bit more efficient. I only think we need one "relay" in the middle, and Mark & Ali have already volunteered, so we'll just need whoever is driving in the back to be the "sweeper" and radio in when everyone has completed the turns. If someone wants to volunteer for that, great! :biggrin:

Please don't forget to charge your 2-way radios! (plug them in tonight!)

Also, please don't forget to bring CA$H to make the check easier to sort out.

See you all on Saturday morning! :motor:

Edited by Edge
Updated with new attendance numbers

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Changed my mind, we're bringing Tigger. I'll just be careful not to rev too high. He's had 100 miles of DC City driving. I checked with Keith and he said that it should be fine. I also read a slew of forums so I understand the idea with the clutch is to not let the RPMs get too high during the break in period. Must get this clutch broken in before the Dragon and highway miles don't really count.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Great because we know Tiggers are meant for (bouncing) runs!!

R50 04 PS MCa - Sold

R53 05 PS MCSa - Sold

R56 12 LiB/B MCSm Born 10/13/11 Bought 10/31/11 Home 11/5/11. CW, TP, SP, Sunroof, Xenon w/B Housings, AnthraciteHeadliner, Tint, JCW CF door handles, JCW CF Spoiler, JCW STB, DDM Street CAI, Stubby, Black grill, Black R98, JB+

Radio's are on the charger (We'll bring 4 just in case anyone needs a loaner) and I'm printing our route sheet now. This will be my first time as a navigator!!!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Something has come up and we may not be able to make the run. If we don't show up at the designated time and place, don't wait. Sorry; hate to miss it.

Edited by JAB 67
typo

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

So my guest list is 3 extra cars lol. One is a silver MINI, my friend Jamie from Frederick, MD; a red R32 that belongs to my coworker Noah, and one of mine and Noah's friends, Martin with a BMW M5. Please be nice to my friends, they want to join the fun. They have been briefed on proper driver etiquette/how nice and welcoming the club is but if needed, a gentle reminder wouldn't hurt.

So my guest list is 3 extra cars lol. One is a silver MINI, my friend Jamie from Frederick, MD; a red R32 that belongs to my coworker Noah, and one of mine and Noah's friends, Martin with a BMW M5. Please be nice to my friends, they want to join the fun. They have been briefed on proper driver etiquette/how nice and welcoming the club is but if needed, a gentle reminder wouldn't hurt.
No hatin'... as long as they're quality european automobiles :biggrin:

I drove my BMW 328i on my first DCMM run before getting my MINI. :motor:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Radio's are on the charger (We'll bring 4 just in case anyone needs a loaner) and I'm printing our route sheet now. This will be my first time as a navigator!!!

I've added the Tow Strap, Jumper Cables, and Spark Plug Socket. :nurse:

They are most definitely welcome, but the non-MINIs will have to drive in the rear of the group (which is where they probably want to be anyway!). The main thing they need to know is "no asshattery"! :)

I've added the Tow Strap, Jumper Cables, and Spark Plug Socket. :nurse:
Great! I'm bringing all 10 of mine - which includes my 1 new fancy one and 9 to loan out if necessary. I'm also bringing my portable tire inflator. I think we're more prepared than ever before! Can you guys sweep? Besides trusting you and your past SF experience, you can help keep an eye on the R32 & M5. :biggrin: