Edge

Spring Fling 2014: Drive & Lunch in VA wine country

It's that time of the year again! Spring is in the air (or will be soon!), old man Winter is running off to hide (again, soon), and the trees are starting to blossom (SOON - pay no attention to that white stuff outside!)!

Just like I did in previous years, I'm organizing the Spring Fling run again, this time on Saturday, April 5.

NOTE: If you have done this run before, please take note that we are NOT starting at the Wegman's parking lot, but the TARGET parking lot. This is because Wegman's apparently has a strict policy against allowing car groups to gather in their parking lots (boooooo...).

WHERE TO MEET: Target Sterling West parking lot (South-East corner). The address is 45130 Columbia Place, Sterling, VA 20166

WHEN: Saturday, April 5 @ 9:00am. Driver's meeting at 9:50am. We depart at 10am sharp! Don't be late!

RUN DISTANCE: 68.1 miles (morning) + 69.3 miles (afternoon) = 137.4 miles total. Easy "early exits" available in afternoon at 85.7 miles (Rt 66), 94.0 miles (Rt 50), 105.8 miles (Rt 7).

RUN TIME: Approx 6.5 hours - we will return to the Target parking lot at approx. 4:30pm, if you decide to complete the full run.

WHAT TO BRING: Full tank of gas, 2-way radio, money to buy lunch (cash please - makes it easier for the check), sweater/raincoat/umbrella (if necessary, depending on weather) and a fun-loving attitude! :top:

A quick refresher:

One of my fondest MINI-related memories is the very first drive I ever participated in with DCMM - it was the Spring Fling, created by Bruce Pancoast (mty_mini), and organized with help from Jen Oakes (Jen) (who was our event coordinator at the time). This all happened on Sunday, April 24, 2005... only 7 1/2 weeks after I picked up my brand new MINI. Alan (Scavenger), who was getting his first exposure to the MINI, came along as my co-pilot.

Meeting in the Sterling Wegmans parking lot (near MINI of Sterling), it was fun to meet a whole bunch of like-minded MINIacs all at once, for the first time. Little did I know just how much fun there was still to come... after grabbing some coffee and/or breakfast snacks from Wegmans.

The roads were beautiful and twisty, and was such an awesome experience to be in a long line of MINIs for the very first time. We stopped for lunch at Orlean Market in Upperville, VA (in western Fauquier County), then continued on for wine tasting at Naked Mountain Vineyard & Winery after that, before heading all the way back to Wegmans.

It was a long day (128 miles or so!), but so nice. Needless to say, I was eager to do this run again.

Our lunch stop will be again be at Griffin Tavern, since Orlean Market closed down many years ago. Unfortunately, due to the size of our group, we will be a more selective and limited menu than their regular menu, but they will still have their famous Shepherd's Pie and other classics.

NOTE: The plan is to have 1 check per table, so to make things easier to sort out, please bring sufficient cash to cover your portion of the check.

For those interested or curious:

Original Spring Fling thread (2005)

Spring Fling 2008 thread

Spring Fling 2009 thread

Spring Fling 2010 thread

Spring Fling 2010 Morning Route on Google Maps

Spring Fling 2010 Afternoon Route on Google Maps

Spring Fling 2011 thread

Spring Fling 2012 thread

Spring Fling 2013 thread

Spring Fling 2014 Route Sheet

Due to severe size limitations from the local wineries, we do not participate in wine tasting any more. However, you are welcome to order yourself a glass of wine with lunch at Griffin Tavern. :biggrin:

Hope to see many of you out there again!

RSVPs are OPEN! PLEASE NOTE that our lunch stop (Griffin Tavern) has given us a hard cap of 50 ADULTS, so if we reach that number, RSVPs will be closed. (Kids will not count towards the count of 50, so please put in the comments if you have any kids coming with you)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Probably. Overlaps a Miata drive I led a long time ago.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

The RSVPs for the Spring Fling are now OPEN. There's a limit of 50, so if you RSVP yes now and later realize you can't go, please update the RSVP to say so.

HAPPY SPRING! :wavey:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

The RSVPs for the Spring Fling are now OPEN. There's a limit of 50, so if you RSVP yes now and later realize you can't go, please update the RSVP to say so.

HAPPY SPRING! :wavey:

Will they be allowing the full menu or the limited menu this year? You know with my food allergies last time they gave me a gluten free pizza as a special item. :top:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Will they be allowing the full menu or the limited menu this year? You know with my food allergies last time they gave me a gluten free pizza as a special item. :top:

That's right! It was on the menu and I tried to order it and couldn't! They only had one and it was for Ali :banghead:! Booooo to gluten free pizza!:biggrin:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

That's right! It was on the menu and I tried to order it and couldn't! They only had one and it was for Ali :banghead:! Booooo to gluten free pizza!:biggrin:
I believe the menu will be limited again - it's the only way they can practically handle so many of us at once. The gluten free pizza (from last year: Tomato Sauce, Chicken, Broccoli, Olives, Peppers) will be there for you again, Ali. If anyone else wants to pre-order it too (it was $14 last year), let me know and I'll ask them to make more than one.

The "practice run" is happening tomorrow, so I will shore up things then. If anyone wants to join us on the practice run (I could use a navigator! Catalina can't go as she has to study), let me know! We leave on the practice run at 10am tomorrow (from the Sterling Target, of course).

NOTE: The practice run is intentionally meant to be a small group, and I'm waited to post about it now on purpose, because it's very short notice. The real run is next Saturday, of course!

Edited by Edge