TGGRRR (Ali)

4th Annual MINIs Take The Beltway - The Drive

You can find a limited selection at Best Busy but the best selection and prices are online. There have been a number of discussion here. You can search radio or 2-way and here is a recent posting by Edge...

http://www.dcmetrominis.org/forums/showpost.php?p=27506&postcount=2

The forum won't allow me to look at this link. I'll do some searches. I was told (by a real-live motorer) to get one by Cobra. But none of those are in a brick and mortar store at the moment.

Thanks!

The forum won't allow me to look at this link. I'll do some searches. I was told (by a real-live motorer) to get one by Cobra. But none of those are in a brick and mortar store at the moment.

Thanks!

That's because it was posted in the Member's area. In the public interest though, I'll go ahead and paste in the contents of the post here:
What is the best type of 2-Way Radio w/Sub Channels to buy for our drives?
A common question...

Specifics are important... rather than re-type the same info again, I'll re-use one of my old posts:

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, I can highly recommend 2 different models:

They are both "high end" 2-way radios. I own both. I have also owned several "high end" Motorola units, and both of these beat the Motorolas hands down, IMO. There are pros and cons to each of the two above. Primarily:

Cobra

• Giant Lithium battery... seems to last forever

• Ability to auto-record (and playback) the last 20 seconds of incoming transmissions. Fantastic when you didn't hear what they said, and you don't want to ask them to repeat it

Midland

• Waterproof (well... very very water resistant. Obviously not designed to be completely dunked underwater!)

• Can accept AA batteries if necessary (comes with a rechargeable battery pack though)

As for range, nothing short of a full-on car radio transmitter (with FCC license) is going to give you lots of range in mountainous areas. The two I listed above are at the "high end" for what is legally allowed in these consumer devices in terms of power output.

Note that the quality control on the Cobra units has been an issue sometimes though, with one or both sometimes not working out of the package. Warranty returns are obviously key in this case. If you get a working pair though, they are very good. :smile:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Well. As I feared, the contract I am on has kicked up again and I need to head back to Sierra vista. This means cleaning and packing before going and the time I would have to do that is Sunday. This means no MINI driving for me. You guys have fun and I'll catch you when I get back.

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

A reminder to previous MTTB participants... if you still have your window-mounted USA flags, please bring them with you again tomorrow. We don't have many extras to hand out this year, unfortunately. :frown:

AutoWindowFlag.jpg

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I'll go ahead and paste in the contents of the post here:A common question...Specifics are important... rather than re-type the same info again, I'll re-use one of my old posts:

Thanks much for doing that. I'll have my own for the next event!

Camera gear ready to go= Check

Blanket = Check

MINI Cleaned and Shined= Check

Found Flags from last 2= Check

Batteries on radios Charged= Check

* I do have an extra radio should someone need/want to borrow one*

Looking SO forward to getting out and about with the MINI Peeps, will be my first "long" drive since surgery, SO STOKED!

Can't wait to see some old friends, and meet some new ones tomorrow!

Edited by TATTRAT

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

Camera gear ready to go= Check ;'

Blanket = Check

MINI Cleaned and Shined= Check

Found Flags from last 2= Check

Batteries on radios Charged= Check

* I do have an extra radio should someone need/want to borrow one*

Looking SO forward to getting out and about with the MINI Peeps, will be my first "long" drive since surgery, SO STOKED!

Can't wait to see some old friends, and meet some new ones tomorrow!

Don't forget some cash if you want to buy raffle tickets!

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm assuming that is post run?

Pre and post but not during :biggrin:

Catalina will be selling tickets. We have some good prizes.

My massage therapist in Del Ray donated a 60 minute massage, we have some swag and gift certificates. I'm donating a portrait session

Tggrrr010.jpg

Pre and post but not during :biggrin:

Catalina will be selling tickets. We have some good prizes.

My massage therapist in Del Ray donated a 60 minute massage, we have some swag and gift certificates. I'm donating a portrait session

Post run is stilll a little up in the air for us. This will be my longest set time since surgery. . . I know it sounds silly, the "New" side feels GREAT, but, the old, to be replaced soon side, sucks 8 different types of ass. . .it just gets raw.

At any rate, I am just SO STOKED to be there in the AM, I can't wait. Sounds duper dorky, and cheesy I know, but this is like a big deal for me! First MINI run in a year, first real drive in 14 weeks, and this is looking like a record turn out! Get to see a lot of old friends, and we should ALL be meeting a bunch of new ones! I am just tickled, lol!

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

Post run is stilll a little up in the air for us. This will be my longest set time since surgery. . . I know it sounds silly, the "New" side feels GREAT, but, the old, to be replaced soon side, sucks 8 different types of ass. . .it just gets raw.

At any rate, I am just SO STOKED to be there in the AM, I can't wait. Sounds duper dorky, and cheesy I know, but this is like a big deal for me! First MINI run in a year, first real drive in 14 weeks, and this is looking like a record turn out! Get to see a lot of old friends, and we should ALL be meeting a bunch of new ones! I am just tickled, lol!

I'm glad you can make it out Jono!!! I do understand about the hip. My "good" knee is much more painful now then my surgery knee.

Tggrrr010.jpg

It was really fun today with all the MINIacs on the Beltway. The WTOP call outs over the hour (4 or 5 times) just added to it. A great run people!

Thank you to the organizers and all the Veterans in attendance (a good number) and all the Veterans out there. :congrats:

Does anyone know the total number of cars on the loop around today?

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

H8 that I missed it this year! :thumbsdown: Nice that 64 MINIs made it, tho ... next year!

I know how you feel, it was supposed to be my first run and leading it too!

03 BRG MINI S: Sold!

05 PW Scion xB: D2 Coilovers, XXR 531 16x8, Yakima rack, Yakima basket, WINK, Plaid interior, and a whopping 108 HP!

Thanks all for having me despite being MINI-less due to a snafu that morning.

I have lots of pictures I took (I was that crazy lady leaning out of the blue Cobalt and then standing on a 495 overpass) but had a wedding yesterday afternoon/evening so I didn't get a chance to get them off my camera. I'll work on doing that sometime this week or this weekend and will post as soon as I can :top:

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe

AH HA....So it was a club member....I saw you drive by but wasnt sure it wasnt just a tourist...lol...I bet you got some AWESOME pics...Cant wait to see them..

Thanks all for having me despite being MINI-less due to a snafu that morning.

I have lots of pictures I took (I was that crazy lady leaning out of the blue Cobalt and then standing on a 495 overpass) but had a wedding yesterday afternoon/evening so I didn't get a chance to get them off my camera. I'll work on doing that sometime this week or this weekend and will post as soon as I can :top:

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

We put a flag on figuring it would maybe clue a few in, but yes, I got a lot of "uh, what?"-looks. Ohwell, I had a great time on that overpass as everyone whizzed by! I have a MINI and DCMM tee, but decided to wear a vest to not freeze.

AH HA....So it was a club member....I saw you drive by but wasnt sure it wasnt just a tourist...lol...I bet you got some AWESOME pics...Cant wait to see them..

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe