Edge

Spring Fling 2011: Drive & Lunch in VA wine country

It's that time of the year again! Spring is in the air, old man Winter is running off to hide, and the trees are starting to blossom!

Just like I did in previous years, I'm organizing the Spring Fling run again, this time on Saturday, April 9. Generally speaking, I prefer to organize this event for the weekend following tax day... but this year I have to do it earlier for these reasons:

• The IRS has extended the tax deadline to Monday, April 18
  • The weekend following that (April 23/24) is immediately prior to MOTD, which would make things difficult for many people.

So... save the date for Saturday, April 9! Even if you haven't finished your taxes by then, you'll still have 9 more days after that to do them!

WHERE TO MEET: Sterling Wegmans parking lot (North-East corner)

WHEN: Saturday, April 9 @ 9:30am. Driver's meeting at 9:50am. We depart at 10am sharp! Don't be late!

WHAT TO BRING: Full tank of gas, 2-way radio, money to buy lunch (cash please - makes it easier for the check), sweater/raincoat/umbrella (if necessary, depending on weather) and a fun-loving attitude! :top:

A quick refresher:

One of my fondest MINI-related memories is the very first drive I ever participated in with DCMM - it was the Spring Fling, created by Bruce Pancoast (mty_mini), and organized with help from Jen Oakes (Jen) (who was our event coordinator at the time). This all happened on Sunday, April 24, 2005... only 6 or 7 weeks after I picked up my brand new MINI. Alan (Scavenger), who was getting his first exposure to the MINI, came along as my co-pilot.

Meeting in the Sterling Wegmans parking lot (near MINI of Sterling), it was fun to meet a whole bunch of like-minded MINIacs all at once, for the first time. Little did I know just how much fun there was still to come... after grabbing some coffee and/or breakfast snacks from Wegmans.

The roads were beautiful and twisty, and was such an awesome experience to be in a long line of MINIs for the very first time. We stopped for lunch at Orlean Market in Upperville, VA (in western Fauquier County), then continued on for wine tasting at Naked Mountain Vineyard & Winery after that, before heading all the way back to Wegmans.

It was a long day (128 miles or so!), but so nice. Needless to say, I was eager to do this run again.

Our lunch stop will be again be at Griffin Tavern (menu), since Orlean Market closed down several years ago.

For those interested or curious:

Original Spring Fling thread (2005)

Spring Fling 2008 thread

Spring Fling 2008 route sheets

Spring Fling 2009 thread

Spring Fling 2009 route sheet

Spring Fling 2010 thread

Spring Fling 2010 route sheet

Spring Fling 2010 Morning Route on Google Maps

Spring Fling 2010 Afternoon Route on Google Maps

And here are this year's route sheet and waiver form:

Spring Fling 2011 route sheet

Spring Fling 2011 non-member driver's waiver

NOTE: All non-member drivers are expected to sign a waiver before participating.

NOTE #2: Due to severe size limitations from the winery, we will not be participating in wine tasting. However, you are welcome to order yourself a glass of wine with lunch at Griffin Tavern. :biggrin:

Hope to see many of you out there again!

Please be sure to RSVP as soon as you know for sure that you're coming, so we can give a reasonably accurate head count to Griffin Tavern!

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Last year HR MINI had our Spring Fling on Saturday and met y'all on Sunday for your Spring Fling. Maybe we can do a Spring Fling on Sunday. Would love to hit up Wrights for a wheelie or Franks for the Memories in Buena Vsta for lu

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

should be fun, I'll try to make it out.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Griffin Tavern

Mmmmm.......Shepard's Pie!!!!

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't remember, does the Spring Fling Run end at the Griffin Tavern or did it continue afterwards? And if it does this year, and idea where it might end this year?
Griffin Tavern is the half-way point. We stop for lunch a

RSVPs are now open! If you're going to join us, please be sure to add yourself (and number of guests) into the RSVP system in the first post.

Thanks! :top:

Have we left yet! :motor:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/myipictures/

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"

Dry run today! :motor: