Goose

Car seemingly falling apart all at once...

I'm pretty frustrated. I had the HPFP replaced at 45k and the replacement is going bad at 86K. Do these things really only last 40k? So far I've been quoted no less than 1,200 for the part alone. On top of that, I have a upper radiator hose that's supposedly leaking and leaking oil filter housing seals. We are taking about 2,500 in additional repairs after just spending 500 to fixing an earlier oil leak. Any help anyone can offer with sourcing parts or finding a reliable mechanic who isn't going to feed me a bunch of bull. I have to take care of the fuel pump soon, obviously...I'm just not sure where to start.

Grey Goose: 2016 F56 Moonwalk Grey JCW - TTFS/GTPeace Custom Stage 1 (Present)
Shadow: 2011 R56 HT MB/MB - MANIC Stage 1 (Past)

I had the oil housing gasket done twice in a year, 25 bucks in gaskets and 1800 bucks in labor.

I have had limit luck on third party lower cost parts. Call a few junkyards, that is how I replaced brandy MAF sensor.

Extended warranty is your friend if you can use USAA I high recommend it. It was around 2000 for two years, can be done in payments. I trip to the shop covers the cost. It replaced brandy transmission at no cost to me and that was a 12k bill.

Sorry for all the bad luck.

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

I'm pretty frustrated. I had the HPFP replaced at 45k and the replacement is going bad at 86K. Do these things really only last 40k? So far I've been quoted no less than 1,200 for the part alone. On top of that, I have a upper radiator hose that's supposedly leaking and leaking oil filter housing seals. We are taking about 2,500 in additional repairs after just spending 500 to fixing an earlier oil leak. Any help anyone can offer with sourcing parts or finding a reliable mechanic who isn't going to feed me a bunch of bull. I have to take care of the fuel pump soon, obviously...I'm just not sure where to start.

Cricket's replacement HPFP failed a few weeks ago. I'm well out of the warranty, so I had to pay out of pocket. Ptuning did a great job and I definitely didn't pay $1200 for the part, though it was looking like I might have to.

There are couple of people on the various MINI Parts Buy/Sell Facebook pages that are parting out cars, so maybe that could work? Also, try Way Motor Works or Detroit Tuned. They may have a source that's less expensive.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Cricket's replacement HPFP failed a few weeks ago. I'm well out of the warranty, so I had to pay out of pocket. Ptuning did a great job and I definitely didn't pay $1200 for the part, though it was looking like I might have to.

There are couple of people on the various MINI Parts Buy/Sell Facebook pages that are parting out cars, so maybe that could work? Also, try Way Motor Works or Detroit Tuned. They may have a source that's less expensive.

Thank you. I know what I'm putting up with owning this car. But when it wants to rain, it pours. And I've had this car in and out of different shops and I swear everyone find something different wrong.

I'll talk to Ptuning too...only issue is I work in Rockville

I had the oil housing gasket done twice in a year, 25 bucks in gaskets and 1800 bucks in labor.

I have had limit luck on third party lower cost parts. Call a few junkyards, that is how I replaced brandy MAF sensor.

Extended warranty is your friend if you can use USAA I high recommend it. It was around 2000 for two years, can be done in payments. I trip to the shop covers the cost. It replaced brandy transmission at no cost to me and that was a 12k bill.

Sorry for all the bad luck.

Thanks, Corey. I'm mostly just frustrated...hence the post. I appreciate the info. I hope things are well overseas.

Thanks, Corey. I'm mostly just frustrated...hence the post. I appreciate the info. I hope things are well overseas.

No Prob, when I post out of frustration it usually ends with Brandy yelling at me. So I just throw wrenches at the garage wall now.:top:

1975Mini001.jpg

That really sucks, Alex. If there's one thing that's for sure with MINIs... they are very expensive to keep running well once they are out of warranty. I hope you're able to get Shadow fixed at a price you find manageable.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

yes the HPFP price got super jacked up at the first of the year. Alex check to see what date you got it changed, all parts come with a 2 year unlimited miles, if it falls in that window your covered.

Well considering I bought the car in March of 14 and it failed months after that...it hasn't been two years. Don't you guys have all of my service history? You as in service department. Obviously, you're not involved with that.

was your original pump under warranty? if so any MINI can pull that record, if it was customer paid than youd have to check with the MINI that did it. This is technically a service question so there's only so much I can pull up.

No worries...I was not expecting you to get involved. But I do appreciate the help :top:

I talked to Kristen today. The pump I replaced less than two years ago was done so under warranty. Apparently the 2 year unlimited warranty only applies to parts paid out-of-pocket and does not apply to parts originally replaced under warranty. Does this ring a bell to you?

Knowing car manufacturers, this sounds right lol

No worries...I was not expecting you to get involved. But I do appreciate the help :top:

I talked to Kristen today. The pump I replaced less than two years ago was done so under warranty. Apparently the 2 year unlimited warranty only applies to parts paid out-of-pocket and does not apply to parts originally replaced under warranty. Does this ring a bell to you?

Knowing car manufacturers, this sounds right lol

Cricket has had a lot of parts replaced under the parts warranty that were originally replaced under the factory warranty. I think you should talk to someone other than Kristen. :(

Apparently the 2 year unlimited warranty only applies to parts paid out-of-pocket and does not apply to parts originally replaced under warranty.

Warranty is on the part not how it was installed, this doesn't sound right. I might understand you having to pay labor, but not the cost of the replacement part.

When the transmission was replaced under warranty in Ebony, it had a two part warranty.

1975Mini001.jpg

Warranty is on the part not how it was installed, this doesn't sound right. I might understand you having to pay labor, but not the cost of the replacement part.

When the transmission was replaced under warranty in Ebony, it had a two part warranty.

True, true...let me see what I can find out. Thank you, Corey and Laura

True, true...let me see what I can find out. Thank you, Corey and Laura

Here is the down low from my source.

"If the part was replaced under any factory paid vehicle warranty (first 4 years/50k miles) or CPO warranty, the warranty on the part ends with the vehicle warranty.

If the part is replaced under parts warranty, so if a customer paid for the repair initially, and the replaced component fails within the 2 year warranty period, the warranty on the part will end 2 years from the initial replacement."

So not good news sorry

1975Mini001.jpg

Here is the down low from my source.

"If the part was replaced under any factory paid vehicle warranty (first 4 years/50k miles) or CPO warranty, the warranty on the part ends with the vehicle warranty.

If the part is replaced under parts warranty, so if a customer paid for the repair initially, and the replaced component fails within the 2 year warranty period, the warranty on the part will end 2 years from the initial replacement."

So not good news sorry

Wow, way to go MINI :banghead:

EDIT: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/273872-diy-hpfp-replacement-how-to-replace-high-pressure-fuel-pump-on-mini-cooper-r56-jcw.html

Is this the same part?? $199 from ECS, I'm assuming there is more to this or something different, that's a long way off from $1200.

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

EDIT: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/273872-diy-hpfp-replacement-how-to-replace-high-pressure-fuel-pump-on-mini-cooper-r56-jcw.html

Is this the same part?? $199 from ECS, I'm assuming there is more to this or something different, that's a long way off from $1200.

Click the link to ECS. That's an old thread. The part is now $1111.50. That's really not cool of MINI to jack up the prices like that. :frown:

Holy crap...it looks like the same part. That's ridiculous. Too bad it's not still that price haha