GreenCactus

16 Days...

I know it's a dirt road, I've been on it!

Sorry ADD kicked in and actually had to work for a second. I went last year actually right before the car show and that's how I won. I got lost and decided to just kinda go with it and see where it took me. I did a lot of exploring last year!

You got lost all the way to Cades Cove?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

There's a dirt road though :D I will go down it! (this is the idiot in my coming out that should've bought a Subaru)

yea i saw that after i posted my comment :banghead:

Edited by Edge
Fixed embedded YouTube link

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I might accidentally get lost again there!
Steph... the reason that I (and others) were skeptical that you had been on Parson's Branch Road is that it's darn near impossible to "get lost" and find yourself on it... unless you choose to drive it the wrong way (i.e. starting from the Dragon).

The entire road is one way, and the start point is very obscure, and way way out of the general area that most MOTD visitors are or would go, even if they got lost. In fact, if someone doesn't already know exactly where Parson's Branch starts, I'd say that it's almost impossible to just "stumble upon" it.

So I guess this begs the question - if you have indeed driven on Parson's Branch Road, did you enter it from the wrong way (i.e. from the Dragon), ignoring the "Do Not Enter" signs? If so, how far did you drive on it the wrong way before turning around and going back to the Dragon? If you drove the whole thing in the correct direction, do you remember the story on how you found it?

I'm sure it's an interesting story. Let's hear details! :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

It wouldn't surprise me if our stupid fac nav GPS took her that way. or the wrong way on the one way).
Catalina... I can tell you from personal experience (since I have it too)... there's no way that our factory Nav would take us to Parson's Branch Road, nor even to the start of Parson's Branch Road. It's that obscure, and you don't just "pass by" the entrance when trying to get from one point to another.

Also, I don't dislike the factory Nav as much as you do. I actually like it better, in some cases, than mobile Nav devices and apps. Especially when driving the Dragon. It's uncanny how useful it is in displaying the upcoming turns on the Dragon when zoomed in! :)

Steph... the reason that I (and others) were skeptical that you had been on Parson's Branch Road is that it's darn near impossible to "get lost" and find yourself on it... unless you choose to drive it the wrong way (i.e. starting from the Dragon).

The entire road is one way, and the start point is very obscure, and way way out of the general area that most MOTD visitors are. In fact, if someone doesn't already know exactly where Parson's Branch starts, I'd say that it's almost impossible to just "stumble upon" it.

So I guess this begs the question - if you have indeed driven on Parson's Branch Road, did you enter it from the wrong way (i.e. from the Dragon), ignoring the "Do Not Enter" signs? If so, how far did you drive on it the wrong way before turning around and going back to the Dragon? If you drove the whole thing in the correct direction, do you remember the story on how you found it?

I'm sure it's an interesting story. Let's hear details! :biggrin:

I am directionally challenged, I am the first to admit it. I actually don't know how I got there, I was just following a few random MINIs (I don't remember what state they were from but they all had the same state license plates). I think it might have been like a random club run that I stumbled upon. I kept following them and I remember seeing that brown sign. Either way, I know I couldn't get back there this year by myself but I would like to. I do remember it being really obscure and odd to get there.

It wouldn't surprise me if our stupid fac nav GPS took her that way. or the wrong way on the one way).

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, I've heard several stories about the unreliable MINI nav. One reason I maintain using my iPhone (which I haven't upgraded to iOS6 specifically so I can keep Google Maps as the native map app). I don't use turn-by-turn or voice instructions, I just usually look at the suggested routes and go from there.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I am directionally challenged, I am the first to admit it. I actually don't know how I got there, I was just following a few random MINIs (I don't remember what state they were from but they all had the same state license plates). I think it might have been like a random club run that I stumbled upon. I kept following them and I remember seeing that brown sign. Either way, I know I couldn't get back there this year by myself but I would like to. I do remember it being really obscure and odd to get there.
Ahh... that would make more sense, if you followed a group of MINIs who were already deliberately planning to go to Parson's Branch Road. :smile:

Incidentally, I'll be happy to take a group of DCMMers on Parson's Branch Road this year, as long as someone provides a Countryman to do it with! Even though I have a skid plate on Mr. OEM, I'm not sure I want to subject him to that abuse again.

Yeah, I've heard several stories about the unreliable MINI nav. One reason I maintain using my iPhone (which I haven't upgraded to iOS6 specifically so I can keep Google Maps as the native map app). I don't use turn-by-turn or voice instructions, I just usually look at the suggested routes and go from there.

Actually, you can download Google Maps in iOS 6.

Catalina... I can tell you from personal experience (since I have it too)... there's no way that our factory Nav would take us to Parson's Branch Road, nor even to the start of Parson's Branch Road. It's that obscure, and you don't just "pass by" the entrance when trying to get from one point to another.

Also, I don't dislike the factory Nav as much as you do. I actually like it better, in some cases, than mobile Nav devices and apps. Especially when driving the Dragon. It's uncanny how useful it is in displaying the upcoming turns on the Dragon when zoomed in! :)

Yeah, I've heard several stories about the unreliable MINI nav.

I hate the factory NAV!!!!!!!!!!! I was on the way home from Emerald Isle, NC and it told me that I was driving through water and then that there was no satellite coverage or something. I was terrified since it took me a different home than my normal route. I really HATE it, it's rubbish.

Ahh... that would make more sense, if you followed a group of MINIs who were already deliberately planning to go to Parson's Branch Road. :smile:

Incidentally, I'll be happy to take a group of DCMMers on Parson's Branch Road this year, as long as someone provides a Countryman to do it with! Even though I have a skid plate on Mr. OEM, I'm not sure I want to subject him to that abuse again.

I think we should do it!! It would be fun and enjoyable (for me anyway).

Bah humbug, my fac nav tries to send me down one ways the wrong way too many times. The GPS wouldn't recognize roads often. I think I just have a bad fac nav... remember it's broken right now.

I'm glad yours is better. Mine just sucks. ok off my soap box.

Signature.JPG

Bah humbug, my fac nav tries to send me down one ways the wrong way too many times. The GPS wouldn't recognize roads often. I think I just have a bad fac nav... remember it's broken right now.

I'm glad yours is better. Mine just sucks. ok off my soap box.

Mine does that too. Regularly. Then it tells me to make illegal u-turns. Then it recalculates and gets all slow and confused :banghead::banghead: ... must be an 07 thing!

Actually, you can download Google Maps in iOS 6.

I know, I already have it, but it's a separate app. I like it the way it works now: I click an address and it opens in the "old" native Google Maps. I don't want the extra step of copy & paste or re-type it in another app. And (so far) the "upgrades" in iOS6 don't mean anything to me (although my daughter keeps telling me "all of the cool new things" I'm missing). I expect I'll get assimilated when I upgrade from my 4s, but I'll probably hold off on that a bit longer than usual too as the 5 also doesn't offer any additional functionality that warrants the expense (also to my daughter's distress as she has to wait for me to upgrade before she can get upgraded by receiving my old iPhone).

Mine does that too. Regularly. Then it tells me to make illegal u-turns. Then it recalculates and gets all slow and confused :banghead::banghead: ... must be an 07 thing!

Don't think so. I know a '12 coupe owner who has had MINI pay for her Garmin because the nav was soooooooo bad.