Last week Craig showed me how to put the Seafoam in Tigger. There was no smoke, we both found this odd and figured next time we'll let it sit a few mins in the engine before starting the car up. He put about half in the engine and the rest in the gas tank.

The next day I noticed that Tigger was driving just a bit smoother and I was surprised. I have a tendency to check my average speed and gas mileage fairly regularly so I know what it normally is for mid week driving. Gas mileage for city is usually just under my average speed so if I average 20 mph I get like 18 mpg. After a few days I noticed it climbing a bit. I'm now averaging 22 mpg with an average speed of 20 mph. I'm in shock! I have never seen my city mileage this high. Even when we drove all highways to MOTD it just barely made it to 30mpg.

I don't think the new pulley would give me better gas mileage and that's the only other thing I've done.

Can't wait to try it again and see if we get some smoke and any other changes.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Ali,

Next time, we'll let it sit longer. I think we only gave it about 15 minutes this time. A little more "soak time" should let the seafoam sink into and soften up any build up in the intake tract and combustion chamber.

As far as your MPG improving, I'd say it's a result of both! The new pulley gives you more power - sooner - so you don't need to step into the throttle as much as you did before.

I know I'm seeing a significant improvement in my MPG after the tune. Last Sunday when we were driving back from MOTD, I filled up at the last stop we made together and then I drove to work all week (only 15 miles round trip), ran a few errands after work and then drove out to Andrews AFB this morning. My combined gas mileage was just over 34! As long as I keep my foot in control, I'm getting great mileage!

When I get back, we can do the seafoam thing again and we'll do it at your house so you can let it sit for as long as you like.

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I know I'm seeing a significant improvement in my MPG after the tune. Last Sunday when we were driving back from MOTD, I filled up at the last stop we made together and then I drove to work all week (only 15 miles round trip), ran a few errands after work and then drove out to Andrews AFB this morning. My combined gas mileage was just over 34! As long as I keep my foot in control, I'm getting great mileage!

Seafoam is definitely in my near-future, but doing anything in Arlington has got to be recipe for "hey, why are the police here?" Or maybe the fire department. I know a ton of smoke is going to pour out.

And not to hijack the thread; but somewhere I must learn impulse control. My last from-the-pump MPG was around 23. ... I've got a beach trip coming up that will give me a chance for highway miles, though, so I can pull my overall average back up a notch ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're welcome to come to my neck of the woods to add the seafoam.

My city mpg has always been under 20, now it's holding steady at 21.5

Ali

I will totally take you up on that :) Now to find the time :/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just let me know when. Craig and I are having a seafoam gathering in the next few weeks

Ali

I'd love to do it before I head to the beach, so if you guys are doing your seafoam party between the 27th - 29th then I'm totally there! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does it do much for an R50? If so, I would love to join the party!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

06 R50, BRG/W, OMP Upper Strut Bar, AFE CAI, Megan CatBack, AC Boot and Bonnet stripes, Angled Side stripes, window tint, Alta 19mm Rear Sway, Konig Feathers with 205/50/15 Yokahama S-Drives, VIP Customs quad light bar with 4 hella 500's, and TSW Upper motor mount.

I personally am not willing to be the tester for the seafoam in the crankcase. If I were using traditional oil, I'd be all over it - putting a 1/2 can in the crankcase a day or a few miles before changing the oil. A friend used to pour a 1/2 gallon of kerosene in the crankcase and drive around for an hour or so before changing the oil. He did that in all of his cars and I helped him tear one down for a rebuild. The inside of the engine was totally free of the usual "crap" and it had been on the road for over 100k miles. I'll settle for running it through the intake tract to keep the build up off the back of the valves and all.

I decided to do it on my own, using the PCV method. I sucked about half the can into the PCV hose, then let it sit for 30 minutes. WOW, did blow a lot smoke! The idle is noticeably smoother, and the throttle seems a bit more responsive.

I'll hit it again in a few weeks to make sure I get a good cleaning.

I had nothing else to do for a little while this morning so I ran seafoam through it. I did a video of the resulting smoke.... As I drove out, there was a Fairfax County patrol car that kept a pretty close eye on me as I belched smoke... It runs waaayyyyyy smoother afterward but it took a little while to get rid of the smoke.

Jay, take a look at the passenger side of the valve cover and you'll find the PCV valve. You can slip the rubber hose off of the PCV valve and add the seafoam there. Glove up, start the car, pop off the PCV valve hose and then pour a thin stream of seafoam into the hose that came off. I've been running about 2/3's of a can through the vacuum line and then shutting it off and letting it sit for a little while - 30 minutes or so. Then, when I start it up, I run off all of the "skeeters" in our "hood".

Edited by cmcveay
1st gen has no clips, just slips on. 2nd gen has the clips to squeeze.

Did the seafoam today, this time I let it sit for a good 30 mins, I got SMOKE!!! I drove it across the street to Craig's to show him it was smoking. He had me take it down the street again keeping the rpm's high. It stunk so bad too, kind of like burning rubber. The smoke lasted about 10 mins and then was gone.

Later one of the neighbors asked if my car was alright, let's just say there were some stares.

Already I notice he's more responsive, the results are quick.

Tggrrr010.jpg

I've been taking a break for a bit but now i am back. Seems i've missed quite a bit lately. So what is seafoam? I was wondering about the different mpg you are all getting. I have an 09 mcs that at its worst was getting 33.1 mpg coming back from a vacation in florida at 5-8 mph over the speed limit using cruise control and 6th gear with 2 passengers,luggage and the a/c on. The best i have seen to date when i baby it is 36 mpg. The only mod is a k+n air filter. Around town i still get around 30mpg.

Gart,

Welcome back!

Seafoam is an additive/cleanser made for all gasoline engines - I think there's also a version for diesel engines. Basically, the MINI's are seeing problems with carbon build up on the back side of the valves because the direct injection fuel system doesn't wash the intake tract and/or valves with gasoline and the detergents that are in them. Running the seafoam through the PCV valve atomizes the additive in the intake tract after it has passed through the turbo/intercooler or supercharger/intercooler and flows it over the valves to soften and reduce/eliminate the carbon build up. I'm not willing to give it any credit for improving my MPG but I am giving it full credit for giving me a very smooth idle, dropping my idle speed about 200 rpm and doing a great job at smoothing out the application of power.

My MPG? I average 30 in/around town. During our drive to/from the Dragon, I averaged just over 37mpg - running 10-15 over with cruise control in 6th gear.

If you decide to do the seafoam treatment, Don't try it when everyone around you is home as you are 99% sure to send up huge billowing clouds of smoke.....

I'm still getting comments from the neighbors asking if my car is OK after doing the seafoam on Sat.

This time gas mileage didn't get better, but we barely put any in the tank, so I'm thinking that is what made the difference.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Over the weekend I tried Seafoam in my 94 Jeep Wrangler with 136XXX miles on the odo. No real PVC so I disconnected the intake cranked up a few rpms and trickled some in the intake. About half a can and shut it off. The other half went into the tank. Just after dark I took it out for a couple of miles. Smoke? Yes. Run smoother? Yes. Am I impressed? Pretty much.

It's running smoother and quieter. Will do another in the oil soon then an oil change. Impressed so far.