If you can come by the house (or Quitta's), either of us can clear the CEL for you. It's usually a random misfire or rough idle code that's caused by the seafoam treatment. Ali is right though, if it hasn't been run through the car before, it needs to sit longer to soak into the carbon build up and loosen it up. I create some MIGHTY clouds of smoke!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

My favorite post EVER!!!

:party:

:marshmellow::dancing::dancing2:

:congrats: See, I'm not always an A-Hole! And I do like the way you paraphrased my words there.

Seafoamed the Clubbie yesterday. Don't know why I'm surprised. I've used it in other cars and it always made a difference. Like those, it made a difference in the MINI. It now feels like I'm driving with the SPORT button on all the time again. Amazing how performance degrades over time and you don't notice. Very happy with my results and will continue to seafoam the Clubbie often!

I need to do this

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I want to try it in the gas tank today. Hopefully it will go better than last time.

The tank is easy, it will just get peppier.

When you did it last time, did you put the whole can in the PVC? I usually put about half to 3/4 of the can in and the rest in the tank.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I want to try it in the gas tank today. Hopefully it will go better than last time.

Catalina, running it through the gas doesn't get it to the places that it needs to be. Because ours are direct injection engines, the fuel air mixture doesn't flow through the intake tract, only air. The carbon build up that you are trying to get to with the seafoam is typically on the back of the valves.

By running the seafoam into the suction side of the PCV valve, you get it flowing through the intake and over the back of the valves.

Running it through the gas tank does clean up the injectors, the combustion chamber and the tops of the pistons though.

I typically run a 1/2 can through the PCV valve while idling, turn it off and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Then, start it up, let the idle smooth out and then take it for a drive. If there's no smoke, it's not a bad sign but don't forget that you were a little low on oil so that could have caused you to have less build up. If you are running good quality gas with a good detergent in it then you are getting the injectors and the combustion chamber cleaned all of the time.

I know Ali swears that she gets some performance benefit from running the seafoam through the tank but I've run it through the tank and haven't noticed any difference. It varies between cars I guess.

I know Ali swears that she gets some performance benefit from running the seafoam through the tank but I've run it through the tank and haven't noticed any difference. It varies between cars I guess.

I did some tests and just ran it through the tank without running it through the PVC, it helped boost my gas mileage for a little bit, but did not give me the zip that I get when I run it through the engine. So now I know

Tggrrr010.jpg

I have a can that I have yet to use! Any1 free 1 night this wk 2 show me how it's done??? Or, will there be a 'Seafoam party' comin' up that I can attend? :questionmark:

I'm free every night but Tues, I have homework to do, but I can spare 45 minutes to do Seafoam if you don't mind coming over.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'd like to attend the demo!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

I'm free every night but Tues, I have homework to do, but I can spare 45 minutes to do Seafoam if you don't mind coming over.

Ali

Thanks, Ali! How about 2morrow night, if I'm not working? I'll let u know 4 sure ... just have 2 remember 2 put the can in Scoopie's boot 2nite ... :smile:

image.php?u=25&type=sigpic&dateline=1424

'scuuuuze me while I kiss the sky ~ Jimi

Thanks, Ali! How about 2morrow night, if I'm not working? I'll let u know 4 sure ... just have 2 remember 2 put the can in Scoopie's boot 2nite ... :smile:

Wed night works. Alan can come by too. It gets dark sooner lately, should we try for 6:00?

Anyone else? My lot can handle about 4 cars doing Seafoam, after that the neighbors may freak a bit.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Ok, if anyone wants to come over tomorrow night, please PM me and I'll reply with my street address.

Alan - I know you know my address, so just let me know if you are coming over.

Like I said, I don't want to do more then 4 cars, and what we'll do is drive right out of the neighborhood once we have started the smoking.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Ok, if anyone wants to come over tomorrow night, please PM me and I'll reply with my street address.

Alan - I know you know my address, so just let me know if you are coming over.

Like I said, I don't want to do more then 4 cars, and what we'll do is drive right out of the neighborhood once we have started the smoking.

Ali

Arrrgghhh! I 4got 2 bring it w/me! :banghead: So, if folks are coming by 2nite, that's fine ... if u're free after the M&G @ PMoA, I'll be sure 2 bring it w/me then.

image.php?u=25&type=sigpic&dateline=1424

'scuuuuze me while I kiss the sky ~ Jimi

Catalina, running it through the gas doesn't get it to the places that it needs to be. Because ours are direct injection engines, the fuel air mixture doesn't flow through the intake tract, only air. The carbon build up that you are trying to get to with the seafoam is typically on the back of the valves.

By running the seafoam into the suction side of the PCV valve, you get it flowing through the intake and over the back of the valves.

Running it through the gas tank does clean up the injectors, the combustion chamber and the tops of the pistons though.

I typically run a 1/2 can through the PCV valve while idling, turn it off and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Then, start it up, let the idle smooth out and then take it for a drive. If there's no smoke, it's not a bad sign but don't forget that you were a little low on oil so that could have caused you to have less build up. If you are running good quality gas with a good detergent in it then you are getting the injectors and the combustion chamber cleaned all of the time.

So I took my car to MoS today for a check engine light. It is still under the 3yr service deal, so I am not worried about fix costs.

They told me that they needed to use tiny walnut shells in a sand-blaster type machine to clean carbon buildup from my engine. Is this similar to Seafoam's application?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ryan - I don't know that seafoam would be as effective as the media blasting treatment but it's attacking the same problem and the seafoam will help with some of it. I know there are a few folks who have pulled their own intake manifold off and done their own version of the media blast. They used seafoam and a stiff nylon brush to remove the carbon deposits.

Count me in for the "after M&G" seafoam party!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

I probably should join the Seafoam "after-party" too. I've never done it on my 6 1/2 year old MINI... I'm guessing it would make a difference by now. :embarassed:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129