JustJAY

Dragon Closed update

Here is an update from MOL via M|U: I actually talked to Congressman Heath Shuler earlier today and told me he was not fully aware as to what was going on with the Dragon:

Just updated on the dealsgap.com web site about today's meeting:

"Friday March 26

Ok folks meeting is over, just reread my notes and here it is in a nut shell:

Contract will be awarded monday afternoon. Clean up must begin by 5 april but they can start sooner. Finish date is 31 July 2010 however, huge bonus for finishing before that. TDOT has placed what they call a safe date and are not really sure it will take that long but feel that was a date they could live with.

The barricade at the state line: It will stay there until we can get a few issues sorted out. Swain and Graham county commissioners stated they would have no issues crossing the state line and emergency management teams concurred there is no legal issues with that. The law enforcement is the big issue as it is not as easy to transfer jurisdiction because of liabilities and the dangerous nature of there business. Congressmen Heath Shuler feels that we can work with other avenues such as federal money to help pay for Blount county or TVA to work the gap if THP feel they can not accommodate. For what I heard in this meeting, most of the agencies will not have a issue moving the barricade back it is THP that will be the hold up. Congressmen Heath Shuler, Sen John Snow and Rep Roger West, all from NC will be working hard to make a deal fast with TN on getting this done. No one wants this to be a free for all but wants everyone to be able to enjoy the Dragon and have a great time in the area.

What can you do top help: Ok time to lay off the NC emails and calls other than your letters of thanks and encouragement as they are clearly on our team. We as well as our Congressmen need you to contact the Governors office not by email but please call as emails are not being addressed, email the other TN officials from our save the gap link. We need them to understand that they will lose more tourism dollars as almost all the places to stay are in there districts not western NC. So lets get the emails rocking and burn up the phones. The NC folks said they got a overwhelming response and have heard the call. Thanks Gang, I can not tell you how proud I was to hear that, we have a wonderful community. "

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have never been to the dragon so I'm confused.

How are they planning all of these runs if there is a road closure on the dragon? Is it just a small portion of the dragon that we won't be able to drive while we're there?

Also Can anyone suggest the best route for getting down there from the DC area? I'm afraid my Droid Google maps app won't know about road closures and I'm so unfamiliar with the area that I may get us lost before we realize we are heading into a dead end or something.

I'm so excited about our first trip down there but I'm also kind of confused.

Thanks

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Perhaps this will help...

There is still a slim chance that the Tenneessee and North Carolina officials will work a deal to open the Dragon out to the rockslide. This would mean that we could still run the Dragon. We would just not be able to get to Fontana coming through the Dragon(129).

Many of the runs do not involve going through the Dragon. Those that do are being rerouted where possible. Of course, events such as the Dragon Parade, involving a couple hundred MINIs, would have to be canceled. There will still be more than enough activities to keep everyone busy. There are some really great roads down there other than the Dragon. Check out the information on www.minisonthedragon.com

There are several options available to get to Fontana once you hit TN. I think most people go down 81. It is a long boring drive (Virginia goes on forever!) but probably the quickest way to get south.

Option 1: Once you hit TN, take 26 south to Asheville, 40 SW to 19/23/74 to 28, 28 to Fontana.

Option 2: Another option is to stay on 81 till you get to 40. Take 40 east to Asheville, Exit 1A. 40 east through the Smokies to 276 south. 276 to 19, 19 to 28, 28 to Fontana.

Option 3: 81 to Exit 1B 40 west to Knoxville. 40 to Exit 407 (66). 66 to 441 in Sevierville. 441 through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Stay on 441 into the Smokies. (This is where the road really gets interesting. There is a 360 degree corner halfway through the mountains.) 441 throught he Smokies to 19 in Cherokee. 19 to 28. 28 to Fontana.

Option 3 is probably the most interesting but also the longest. I wouldn't recommend it if you will be coming through after dark. We have used all of these routes. Option one is the least entertaining. Option two is a little more entertaining.

As far as road closures, check with the Tenneessee DOT. I do not have the link handy but if I find it I will post.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From Mapquest:

Note to I-40 Travelers in the vicinity of Asheville, NC: Both directions of I-40 are closed between Exit 20, West of Asheville in North Carolina, and Exit 421 (I-81 Interchange) East of Knoxville in Tennessee due to a rock slide at mile marker 2.6 on I-40 in North Carolina. The road is not expected to reopen for several months. You can drag your route to avoid this section of highway or use the official NCDOT Detour: Motorists traveling on I-40 West are advised to take Exit 53B, I-240 West. Follow I-240 West to Exit 4A, I-26 West. Follow I-26 West (a North Carolina Scenic Highway) to I-81 South. Take I-81 South and follow back to I-40, Mile Marker 421, in Tennessee. This route is 53 miles longer than I-40. We also recommend visiting the NCDOT Travel site for additional information. For your safety, always obey local construction and detour signs.

Don't say that! :eek:

That rules out Option 2 :thumbsdown:

Pretty soon you won't be able to get there from here. :bawling:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

Since GPSes don't know about rock slides, may I suggest to newbies to the area, that you get an (gasp!) actual printed map for reference. I'll be using one, since the usual route for me isn't available.

Neither do printed maps. GPS with traffic I believe know road closures.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just say this on MOTD Facebook page.

"MINIs on the Dragon Just got off the phone with Brad from Deals Gap is it appears all the pieces are falling into place and TN might be relocating the barriers within days to open the Dragon from 8:00am to 8:00pm. They will have two law officers there at all time. So if this does happen, we all need to be on our best behavior and not ruin... all the hard work the everyone has put into to get this done."

Looks promising :rock:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

That's awesome news.

For all you newbies... even at the speed limit, the Dragon is a blast. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most people can't even do it at the limit, not without crossing the double yellow lines on corners (which is a BIG no-no).

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

YEP! A lot of the fun of it is just trying to keep it between the lines. Taking the lazy route is not what MINI's are for, they can readily handle the corners with no need to cut them, which is illegal and very dangerous.

That's awesome news.

For all you newbies... even at the speed limit, the Dragon is a blast. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most people can't even do it at the limit, not without crossing the double yellow lines on corners (which is a BIG no-no).

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

I just checked my Droid which uses Google maps, It's sending me I- 81 to I-40 to TN 115/ 129 so to be safe I should print the directions and map info from the MOTD site. I do have the traffic option but don't know if it would re-route or not.

I just thought I'd check and see if it knew anything

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

you think this had anything with the closure...........:questionmark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg7QBLTatuw

Yes, that was on the Dragon. There is a picture by Killboy of them loading the car on a rollback.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=158870&id=189631058066&l=bea20a3200#!/photo.php?pid=3983731&id=189631058066&fbid=373206353066

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How long does it say that will take to get there?

I just checked my Droid which uses Google maps, It's sending me I- 81 to I-40 to TN 115/ 129 so to be safe I should print the directions and map info from the MOTD site. I do have the traffic option but don't know if it would re-route or not.

I just thought I'd check and see if it knew anything

Ali

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

you think this had anything with the closure...........:questionmark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg7QBLTatuw

Yes, that was on the Dragon. There is a picture by Killboy of them loading the car on a rollback.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=158870&id=189631058066&l=bea20a3200#!/photo.php?pid=3983731&id=189631058066&fbid=373206353066

Well technically, no, that wasn't on the Dragon itself. That is on the same road (Route 129), but it's a few miles further down, away from the Dragon.

However yes... that very rock slide is the cause of the road (and Dragon) closure. There are no other "side roads" or alternative ways to get past that rock slide, it's just that one road all the way to the NC border.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Good news from Dealsgap.com!!! :rock: :biggrin: :motor:

Wednesday April 7

MONDAY 12 APRIL 2010 THE DRAGON WILL BE OPEN AT 8 AM.

Ok gang great news.....it is official well all but the lawyer to say ok. TDOT will build a fence at the state line with a gate. They will open the Dragon for use from 8am until 8pm from the NC side only. There is still no way to get past the slide so you will have to turn around after the Dragon and return. Two THP will patrol as well as Graham county EMS will be the medical support.

MONDAY 12 APRIL 2010 THE DRAGON WILL BE OPEN AT 8 AM.

Folks we need to thanks for this are and they are not in order: US Congressmen Heath Schuler, NC Sen John Snow, NC Rep Roger West, TN Sen Doug Overbey, TN Commissioner Gerald Nicely, TN Rep McCord, all the folks at TDOT, the Graham County Commissioners for all the EMS support, THP, NCHP NC and TN Governor's staff and most importantly all the wonderful motorcycle and sport car groups and people who took the time to write, email, fax and call letting these folks know how much you love our area.

Folks looks like great weather on Monday so come visit and ride the Dragon once again.

Brad

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

06 R50, BRG/W, OMP Upper Strut Bar, AFE CAI, Megan CatBack, AC Boot and Bonnet stripes, Angled Side stripes, window tint, Alta 19mm Rear Sway, Konig Feathers with 205/50/15 Yokahama S-Drives, VIP Customs quad light bar with 4 hella 500's, and TSW Upper motor mount.

YAY! That's awesome! I wondered how they were going to handle the block at the border. I guess it won't be a manned patrol car then. Does that mean we can still walk the Dragon after 8pm? :biggrin:

Or drive remote controlled MINIs? (I might bring mine) :laugh:

Does that mean we can still walk the Dragon after 8pm? :biggrin:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

Since GPSes don't know about rock slides, may I suggest to newbies to the area, that you get an (gasp!) actual printed map for reference. I'll be using one, since the usual route for me isn't available.

Neither do printed maps. GPS with traffic I believe know road closures.

true about printed maps, but if you know where the rock slides are, you can plan accordingly...

I guess it won't be a manned patrol car then. Does that mean we can still walk the Dragon after 8pm? :biggrin:

Hahahhaa. Let me be the first to coin a new phrase, new shirts need to be printed!

Stroll The Dragon! :biggrin:

Edit: If you STD then do watch out for BOTD, Bears on The Dragon...