STXMINI

MINIs Take The States 2024

Do they cap registrations?  Is this one of those things where I have to set an alarm for the second registration goes live?  Love this route, so many places I have wanted to visit… just need to get to the starting point.  

35 minutes ago, Duke said:

Do they cap registrations?  Is this one of those things where I have to set an alarm for the second registration goes live?  Love this route, so many places I have wanted to visit… just need to get to the starting point.  

They won't cap registrations. The biggest issue will be getting hotels at a later date in some of those smaller cities, like Missoula MT & Yakima WA. If you're even considering going, I'd book hotels with free cancellations sooner rather then later.

Just to be safe we gave the Marriott app a full workout last night and locked in hotels everywhere, except SLC and Seattle since those have lots of options.   Thanks for the update!  Stress level is down now.  Time to start stretching- 2 weeks in the convertible is not the same as if we took the Countryman!  The convertible is just too fun not to take it.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:22 PM, Duke said:

Just to be safe we gave the Marriott app a full workout last night and locked in hotels everywhere, except SLC and Seattle since those have lots of options.   Thanks for the update!  Stress level is down now.  Time to start stretching- 2 weeks in the convertible is not the same as if we took the Countryman!  The convertible is just too fun not to take it.  

I too am a Marriott warrior, everything is booked except Seattle. Nobody is sure if MINI USA is going to do something in Seattle or not.

And the SLC to Bozeman 2 day stretch. Because we're on our own there, I'm not sure where I might stop, I've been to most of that area before and want to see something new. 

Do you plan to drive out? 

2 hours ago, STXMINI said:

I too am a Marriott warrior, everything is booked except Seattle. Nobody is sure if MINI USA is going to do something in Seattle or not.

And the SLC to Bozeman 2 day stretch. Because we're on our own there, I'm not sure where I might stop, I've been to most of that area before and want to see something new. 

Do you plan to drive out? 

We will drive out, which definitely adds the miles.  Trying to decide how many days hours behind the wheel per day makes sense... not in my 20's anymore ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GreenCactus said:

I’m out for this one. That’s just too far. 

Understandable, I've booked my hotels but I'm still on the fence. Mike has said that he will not be joining for this one and I can't drive that much by myself, so we'll see....

Does anybody have ballpark cost on shipping car to New Mexico and starting from there?  Since we got lucky with lodging for Dragon, saving a few vacation days in July might come in handy.  Would you just have the car sent to the dealer to hold?  I have never shipped without someone waiting on the other end for me.  So many questions!

1 hour ago, Duke said:

Does anybody have ballpark cost on shipping car to New Mexico and starting from there?  Since we got lucky with lodging for Dragon, saving a few vacation days in July might come in handy.  Would you just have the car sent to the dealer to hold?  I have never shipped without someone waiting on the other end for me.  So many questions!

Quick first check was $1300

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

7 minutes ago, 1975_mini said:

Quick first check was $1300

Maybe I can find friends and get a group rate, but that isn’t too bad really.  I think I paid $1500 to ship across country in 2017.

We’ve also already booked our refundable hotels for route except the two days of on your own which is kind of crazy since in 2016, we didn’t do this until May/June. In 2014, I did it the week before I drove up to the segment I started on! I really want to do this but I wish NUTTY was at least half its age. In a perfect world, I would drive to ABQ but have NUTTY shipped back from Seattle. But that’s only if the stars line up and I get reliable transportation back for NUTTY. If not, I would drive back. I’m envisioning a  three week trip. Whether we do this & how much Beth will participate, remains to be seen. The picture I use of NUTTY was actually taken by MINIUSA on MTTS 2016 while driving in Wyoming.

I shipped WINIFiED "to" Portland in 2018 for ~$900, to the MINI dealership there. But I had to drive to Atlanta for the truck and then buy a one-way plane ticket back from Atlanta. It actually worked out really well but would love to see a group doing same out of DC / Phila area to not have to drive so far. 

Can't justify shipping both directions, so will commit to driving to Albuquerque, likely a speed run ((2) 12 hour days with one overnight) 
I'd like to say it's too far so I'm just not going .. but I know myself better. There will be a lot of chatter and I'll get afflicted with FOMO .. 

• Like 1

Jill and I have already booked our hotels as well.  I am driving out 2.5 days and Jill is flying to Albuquerque, then back from Seattle.  I would like to have Millie shipped back from Seattle, but have heard it can be difficult to coordinate.  Not sure if anyone (group) would be interested to do the same.  Hotels for the 5ish days back would be close to $750, plus food, fuel, and your time.

I drove to/from Seattle in 2023 and it was a fairly easy drive minus the total days (to Seattle in January).  Only real issue we had was the smoke from forest fires coming back in late August.  If that is happening during MTTS, Jill and I will head East from Bozeman or Missoula depending on fire/smoke locations.

15 hours ago, Widdie said:

Jill and I have already booked our hotels as well.  I am driving out 2.5 days and Jill is flying to Albuquerque, then back from Seattle.  I would like to have Millie shipped back from Seattle, but have heard it can be difficult to coordinate.  Not sure if anyone (group) would be interested to do the same.  Hotels for the 5ish days back would be close to $750, plus food, fuel, and your time.

I drove to/from Seattle in 2023 and it was a fairly easy drive minus the total days (to Seattle in January).  Only real issue we had was the smoke from forest fires coming back in late August.  If that is happening during MTTS, Jill and I will head East from Bozeman or Missoula depending on fire/smoke locations.

I can do some calling around to get pricing, it looks like the biggest interest is shipping our cars home, so that's where I'll start. I also read that several people's MINI were not delivered in time for the 2022 MTTS and they had to rent non MINI cars for the rally, another good reason to drive out and ship home.

Other people in our area, but not in our club, have also expressed an interest in shipping their cars so I'm confident we could fill a truck. 

I reached out to an auto transport broker, based in the PNW, we have worked with, back in 2016. We move too much. If I can get the right price (what is that for you?) and orchestra one stop drop off and pick up, ideally, to keep the price down. How many interested MINIs would we have for Seattle or Portland to DC shipping group rate.

There are several potential inquiries and from experience a lot of people will indicate an interest and then drop out .. there are a couple of other feelers out there, but this (DC) is closest to home. Please add my name to the list. One MINI. Prefer Seattle return since that's where the event ends & I'll need to get home .. 

(My MINI was trailered out to Portland for the start of 2018; I've got a 13 year old car so I throw a car cover on it and we're good. I believe it was about 1/2 the cost of enclosed trailer. Let me know which way you're leaning so I can decide. Thx)

Edited by MINIFIED

I would be in for the Seattle back to the DMV. I'm willing to drive to a central location for pick up. $1000 would be my ideal price range, but that may be unrealistic.

An open trailer is fine by me, but my main concern (Of course) is insurance. Will we have to sign waivers releasing them of all liability if the car is damaged by them? In my research I've found that some carriers make you do this. I'm a little nervous about transport after what happened to Susan K's OG Mini in transit to her, thankfully her carrier is paying for her damage.