Goose

Carbon Cleaning Group Buy - Interested??

8 minutes ago, scottt said:

I'm interested.  I have a 2010 with approx 33k miles.  Is there a way to tell if I need this?  Hate to waste the $$$ if I don't need to.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably don't need it, yet, given your relatively low mileage. 

Grey Goose: 2016 F56 Moonwalk Grey JCW - TTFS/GTPeace Custom Stage 1 (Present)
Shadow: 2011 R56 HT MB/MB - MANIC Stage 1 (Past)

Just now, Shadow said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably don't need it, yet, given your relatively low mileage. 

Yeah....that's exactly how I'm "torn".......only 33k miles....yet she's slightly over 8 years old.

I'm assuming my '13 Justa with 60k miles could use it? What kind of cleaning do they do; the HHO treatment or do they just run seafoam?

My wife's '06 Mazda 3 with >120k miles definitely could use some love too!

Sidenote - I'm not currently a full member as I ended up letting it expire, is that fine to join in on the cleaning party?

Just now, Themixer said:

I'm assuming my '13 Justa with 60k miles could use it? What kind of cleaning do they do; the HHO treatment or do they just run seafoam?

My wife's '06 Mazda 3 with >120k miles definitely could use some love too!

Sidenote - I'm not currently a full member as I ended up letting it expire, is that fine to join in on the cleaning party?

You're welcome to join the event

I'll let @Shadow reply on the engine questions

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

19 minutes ago, scottt said:

Yeah....that's exactly how I'm "torn".......only 33k miles....yet she's slightly over 8 years old.

Since you don't have the turbo, the issue isn't as bad. I wouldn't think you would need this, especially with the low mileage. 

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

31 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

They do walnut blasting.

Interesting on the walnut blasting, can't believe I haven't seen that before now. Do you know if they also run a chemical treatment for the rest of the engine, or just clean valves?

Just now, TGGRRR (Ali) said:

Woo hoo did we make the minimum? Finding a date that works for everyone could be a challenge. Are they requiring us all to sign up or come on the same day?

Shadow indicated that they would schedule the individual cleanings with each person based on their availability.

• Like 1

signature-final.png

OK...sounds/looks like we are close if not over. I'm going to give Galen a call to see what the best way would be to keep this organized and efficient as possible for everyone.

We have reached the minimum.  That said, more are welcome to join in.  Remember, I'll reiterate, we need 15 people that will absolutely do this.  I do not want to waste Galen's time.

Edited by Shadow

Grey Goose: 2016 F56 Moonwalk Grey JCW - TTFS/GTPeace Custom Stage 1 (Present)
Shadow: 2011 R56 HT MB/MB - MANIC Stage 1 (Past)

If R53s are indeed a valid target, I'm in too. My 05 R53 is 13 years and 145,000 miles young, and could really use it, especially the way I drive him! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

3 minutes ago, TGGRRR (Ali) said:

Do first gen superchargers need this treatment? I thought it was only turbos

My understanding (quite possibly wrong) is that the process is about cleaning the engine itself - the cylinders and valves... not the turbo or SC.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Just now, Sollestia said:

Yep that was my understanding too. 

Yep - it’s just that early (pre-refresh) 2nd Gen MINI engines (N14) are more prone to needing this service than others.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, Edge said:

Yep - it’s just that early (pre-refresh) 2nd Gen MINI engines (N14) are more prone to needing this service than others.

It is cleaning of the head, focusing on the backside of the valves. Forced induction engines (turbo or Super charger) create blow by, this is when oil vapor in the engine is still moving to fast to settle out of the gases that a routed back to the intake to be combusted (to improve emissions). The oil vapor condenses on the backside of the valves resulting in carbon buildup. This build up begins affecting the seating of the valves, creating rough running and once bad enough does not let the valves seat causing the engine not to start. 

Many people add a catch can to allow oil vapor more of a chance to settle. This is a good idea to do after the blasting treatment. Just my opinion 

it is a more of an issue for N14 but if you are running a reduced pulley on your supercharger you are creating more boost and therefore likely creating more blow by. 

• Like 2

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels