GreenCactus

What to Bring

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm starting to get things ready to pack. My first MOTD, I took WAY too much stuff. I had myself convinced that the cabin was more of a primitive tent.

A few things that are important to bring:

• Calling card - cell phones don't work, so if you need to call anyone, you don't want to have to pay hotel rates for long distance.
  • Basic first aid kit (aspirin, band aids, etc)
  • Flashlight(s) and batteries - It is really dark out at night!
  • Bug repellent
  • Ant traps
  • Clorox Wipes
  • Snacks - It can get expensive to buy everything at Fontana and it's about a 45 minute drive to the nearest grocery store.
  • Rain gear - Umbrella, jacket, etc.
  • Folding chair
  • Detailing Supplies - don't worry if you forget, just come see me. ;)
  • Camera and extra memory cards
  • Sweater/Jacket - It can get really cold at night.
  • Beer/Wine/Liquor - Graham County is dry. You can buy alcohol at Fontana (in the restaurant), but not to take to your cabin/room.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Given the number of attendees, the main thing you'll need to bring to MOTD10 is patience. It's going to be crowded like never before, parking is going to be a major challenge, and space at the restaurants is limited.

Beer is available at the general store, but it's expensive and probably yucky so bring lots of your favorite.

Some "primitive tent"! It has cable, flush toilets and AC/heat! I wish I had a picture of Laura's face when she first saw our cabin..:rofl:

My parents have a "cabin" too. It has electricity, running water, cable and a phone, but it's still a cabin. I didn't believe the pictures on Fontana's website, so I came prepared. :top:

Now I realize I only need to bring 45 pairs of shoes and a bear bell. :rofl:

Don't forget the MINI color coordinated outfits

All of my planned outfits match my friends MINIs! :girl:

It's a celebration ya'll!:party:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

All of my planned outfits match my friends MINIs! :girl:

It's a celebration ya'll!:party:

Last year I even stuffed my cooler with nothing by Orange Vit Water Zeros. So even my drinks matched my MINI :biggrin:

I'll buy you some Blue Gatorade Quitta

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Very quiet day at the office so I am making a list :biggrin: With the number of people attending I am trying to decide if I should bring food this year :questionmark: or should I just stay on a liquid diet :beerglass::hmmmm2::beerglass:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Very quiet day at the office so I am making a list :biggrin: With the number of people attending I am trying to decide if I should bring food this year :questionmark: or should I just stay on a liquid diet :beerglass::hmmmm2::beerglass:

You need nutrients to be able to drive, so I'd bring a little food. Maybe protein shakes? That way, it would still be a liquid diet, but not just :cheers:

You need nutrients to be able to drive, so I'd bring a little food. Maybe protein shakes? That way, it would still be a liquid diet, but not just :cheers:

I would be in very very bad shape if I did not eat :eating: any solid foods :biggrin:

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Guys, what is the must have detailing stuff to bring so that I don't mooch off of other people. I'm planning on watching Lola and El Coqui in Robbinsville on Sun/Mon, but what should we have to maintain it?

I like the Prima Slick, it's a detailing spray. Great for getting off bugs, sap or bird poop.

Bring microfibers too

Remember you can buy all of this stuff there too

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I would say just the consumables if you have something that you prefer. I usually bring enough micro fiber towels and all. I also bring a bucket that's there for everyone in the cabin.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Guys, what is the must have detailing stuff to bring so that I don't mooch off of other people. I'm planning on watching Lola and El Coqui in Robbinsville on Sun/Mon, but what should we have to maintain it?

Based on prior years, there will be buckets and hoses there. There 'might' be soap. Prima Car Care will be there, so you can always buy products from them - they may even have samples to try. OutMotoring I believe sells some Griot Garage items.

If you have the space, here's what I'd take:

Small bucket (an empty/clean cat litter bucket works great)

MF drying towels

Sponge, wash rag, whatever you normally use to wash with

Detail spray and/or waterless wash

Brush (for wheels, wheel wells)

Glass cleaner

Small container of car wash soap (Target has small TSA-approved bottles for $1 in the travel section. Put your favorite car soap in one.)

3-4 MF towels for touching up, cleaning glass, etc.

If you want to get fancy, you can pick up one of these:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-355-adams-sampler-pack-dvd.aspx

I bought a few of these when they were only $15. I probably have a spare kit sitting around.

I wouldn't bother trying to wax/detail while you're there.

I probably have a cat litter bucket if you want it - and are willing to come part-way to me to get it pre-Dragon (meaning, today or tomorrow for me). Everything mentioned on the list can be stored in the bucket :)

Edited to add: Target also sells small flat boxes that will hold an ample supply of MF clothes. Between that, and the detail kit mentioned above, you can keep an emergency detail kit in your MINI at all times - with little space needed!

I can totally see myself being a repeat or worse than what you've described about Laura's first year. I hope it all fits! Packing starts tonight.

I've ordered a pair of MF Wash Mitts

Super Flex Water Blade

MF Cleaning Towels

Griot's Garage Car Wash (bottle, not gallon jug)

Multi-purpose folding bucket

Wheel Brush

Edited by Poison Ivy

Signature.JPG

I can totally see myself being a repeat or worse than what you've described about Laura's first year. I hope it all fits! Packing starts tonight.

I've been amazed at what all Laura was able to pack into Cricket :rock:

We're using MOTD as a test-run for MTTS, as we've never tried to do a long trip with just the R57.

I've ordered a pair of MF Wash Mitts

Super Flex Water Blade

MF Cleaning Towels

Griot's Garage Car Wash (bottle, not gallon jug)

Multi-purpose folding bucket

Wheel Brush

The only thing I would add to that is a quick detailing spray. I also bring a California Car Duster. I use that before I quick detail, to get the pollen and dust off.

Because I'm in the car show, I'm bringing wax and polish this year.

I usually keep a small backpack in the boot with small bottles of products (like Jim posted, but mine are from Griots) and a few microfibers.

Laura should copyright her MINI Cooper packing technique! The entire shipping industry could take lessons!

Thanks!

I actually learned it from my mom. I think she would repack the car before every vacation because my dad was insistent that it wouldn't all fit. It always did. :)

One of the ways I can get so much stuff in there is the type of bags I use. I try to use more small bags for things that are soft, so I can cram them in. Last year, I bought a huge duffel bag, but it's the perfect size to fit in the boot with the seats up, if necessary. Also, I rarely get it right on the first try.

I'm happy to help anyone pack!

I know everyone makes fun of me for how much stuff I take, but I can pack suitcases really well, too. I only took an overnight-bag sized carry on for a 3 night trip to California a couple of years ago. I knew no one would believe, so there's a picture on Facebook somewhere. :)

Not to get TMI, but there are certain articles of clothing that I set aside just for trips. T-shirts that are about ready to be tossed, for example. And I'll take those items on trips, and toss 'em along the way. That way I have room for souvenirs (like a new t-shirt :biggrin:) or whatever.

Depending on the trip's duration / location, you can always send your stuff ahead (or send home) via USPS, UPS, etc.