TATTRAT

Factory Horn Replacement

my horns are based off of agranger's set up, i have the same horns but instead of CO2 i use air, and instead of a t handle i have a secret button in my shift knob!!

Here is the link for his horns, hes got pics, videos and lots of feedback that was really helpful!!

Celia,

Link???????:stupid:

my horns are based off of agranger's set up, i have the same horns but instead of CO2 i use air, and instead of a t handle i have a secret button in my shift knob!!

Here is the link for his horns, hes got pics, videos and lots of feedback that was really helpful!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

..my wimpy factory horn!

Hm, I wonder if it's a model year/options thing, but the horn in my clubby sounds quite solid, almost too solid for a small car.

Could be a matter of personal preferences/taste, though...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+accessories/exterior+accessories/black%2C+ultra+compact+air+horns.do

Looking at ordering this. Seems like it has good reviews all around and a straight forward install.

I really like the sound of the "Big Truck" one... it's a shame that it isn't as loud as the other two.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+accessories/exterior+accessories/black%2C+ultra+compact+air+horns.do

Looking at ordering this. Seems like it has good reviews all around and a straight forward install.

The black ultra-compact is the one I have. It'll mount in the OEM horn location, but check the clearance for the felt wheel liner - those plastic screw-on caps might rub against it.

I have the compact air horns from MINI Mania. They are installed in addition to my factory horn. I think they were around $50 and I paid a little under $200 for Mach V to install them.

air horns are the way to go....really scares those stupid SUV drivers!:evil:

I'm currently running a set of Hella Supertones and I love 'em. They're a lot louder than stock and don't sound like anything else I've heard

Also like the FIAMM ElGrande horns. . .makes you sound more like a big SUV than an itty bitty mini!

Install on the supertones was a little tight in the stock location but not bad. The El Grandes are almost exactly the same size as the originals.

Edited by Edge
Converted YouTube links into embedded videos

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 For the Hella's. The install can be a real PITA because the OEM horns are mounted under the passenger side headlight. The best way is to pull the entire front bumper off the car for this install. If done properly, you can even use the OEM horn button to fire those babies up!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

It's exactly what I did. . .'Except on the R53 there's a horn mounted behind each headlight. I mounted them to the stock mounting locations (had to bend the hella mounts a little though.) I then cut the OEM wiring piece off of the crappy stock horns, soldered on some leads with female spade connectors and hooked that to the hella's so I didn't have to cut the stock wiring harness. Slicker'n snot :) Didn't have to do any extra wiring for the relays or anything.

You do have to take off the whole bumper as Craig says, they're just too big to fit in the little access hole (at least with my giant monkey hands.)

+1 For the Hella's. The install can be a real PITA because the OEM horns are mounted under the passenger side headlight. The best way is to pull the entire front bumper off the car for this install. If done properly, you can even use the OEM horn button to fire those babies up!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's exactly what I did. . .'Except on the R53 there's a horn mounted behind each headlight. I mounted them to the stock mounting locations (had to bend the hella mounts a little though.) I then cut the OEM wiring piece off of the crappy stock horns, soldered on some leads with female spade connectors and hooked that to the hella's so I didn't have to cut the stock wiring harness. Slicker'n snot :) Didn't have to do any extra wiring for the relays or anything.

You do have to take off the whole bumper as Craig says, they're just too big to fit in the little access hole (at least with my giant monkey hands.)

That's exactly what I want to do, swap out the OEMs and use the existing horn control on steering wheel.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

beside installing an air horn set up, I don't understand why anyone would do a swap that WASN'T operated by the stock horn buttons.

Honestly, I want to do both, I would like to have my stocks replaced with hella supertones for just daily driving, and those kind of "gentle" nudges where you don't want to blow someone away, BUT I want a set up like Celia(Stickers)has for those moments that I am sure everyone has, and you're like, "WTF, ARE YOU SERIOUS", and want them to snap back to reality, and remind them that while behind the wheel, DRIVING should be the Number 1 priority, not talking on the cell/putting on make up/being clueless to others around you.

As for replacing the stock horns, I though it would go without saying that they need to be operated by the factory wheel mounted buttons.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

Heeeere's what you need for your horn:

http://gizmodo.com/5907889/the-worlds-loudest-bike-horn-is-more-deafening-than-a-747-taking-off

Edited by elpollodiablo
Converted YouTube link into embedded video

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

beside installing an air horn set up, I don't understand why anyone would do a swap that WASN'T operated by the stock horn buttons.

Honestly, I want to do both, I would like to have my stocks replaced with hella supertones for just daily driving, and those kind of "gentle" nudges where you don't want to blow someone away, BUT I want a set up like Celia(Stickers)has for those moments that I am sure everyone has, and you're like, "WTF, ARE YOU SERIOUS", and want them to snap back to reality, and remind them that while behind the wheel, DRIVING should be the Number 1 priority, not talking on the cell/putting on make up/being clueless to others around you.

As for replacing the stock horns, I though it would go without saying that they need to be operated by the factory wheel mounted buttons.

Jono - Many who install aftermarket horns don't tie them into the horn button on the steering wheel so I felt I should mention that location. Due to the increased amperage draw of the aftermarket horns, it's not a simple swap on them, the Hella's require a relay. When I installed them in Archi, the horns drew power directly from the battery and the power relay (mounted in the front cowl with the battery) was connected to the OEM horn wires. With the 1st Gen, that's complicated just a little because the battery is in the boot but I think you can easily find a hearty 12v source of power up front with very little effort. Mounting, wiring, routing the relay is easy enough.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Now that's a horn! Too bad it makes it dangerous to ride (a bike). It might also be a wee bit dangerous in your car too. Honk the driver in front of you with that thing (above) and who knows what their reaction might be:

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Road-rage-shooting-sparked-by-honk-of-a-horn/QSBzr1PRyEujs03dSK6N3w.cspx

Did you ever upgrade your horn? I was looking at this one. It looks like it might be any easy install.

The nice thing about electrically-powered air horns is that they ramp up - so if you do a quick tap, they're brief and relatively quiet.

The bad is that they can get clogged with debris, including insects seeking a home.

Worse, however, it the difficulty of actuating the horn in a MINI at all, at least mine. I have to hit the horn pad in just the right place, and hard.

I've taken the airbag out to adjust the contacts a bit, but it's difficult to do that without getting too sensitive. I'm considering adding a separate button.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

I'm currently running a set of Hella Supertones and I love 'em. They're a lot louder than stock and don't sound like anything else I've heard

Also like the FIAMM ElGrande horns. . .makes you sound more like a big SUV than an itty bitty mini!

Install on the supertones was a little tight in the stock location but not bad. The El Grandes are almost exactly the same size as the originals.

I'm running Hella Supertones tooooooo