cmcveay

Memorial Day/Yellow Ribbon Run

Laura drove today and I acted like a navigator - the run on Sunday is going to be fun! Lots of back roads with twisties, scenery and lots of history.

We weren't able to find a place that could handle 30+ cars for lunch (not enough parking or not enough capacity inside) so we found a nice area along the river where we can stop and have lunch.

Please plan on bringing lunch, a folding chair and bug spray (we didn't notice many bugs today but things can/do change).

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I spoke with a friend at work the other day,he lives in shepardstown, that bavarian inn is more of a...you had better wear a tie to eat so the picnic is a better idea for sure. So if we happen to pass by a man on the side of the road bailing hay,thats him so give him a wave. Its nice to know that he is the battlion chief for the sheperdstown f.d. :top:

ps. if you havent done it yet,charge your 2 way radios. I'll bring mine if someone wants to borrow one for the run.

I shot a couple of pictures while out on the route Friday and here they are.

The first photo IS NOT a road that we'll be driving on, it's the C&O canal path. We'll be stopping here for lunch.

The second photo is to welcome our first Countryman to one of our events! We found a small "stream" crossing as a way to say "Welcome".

The third and final photo was almost missed because Cricket decided to get the heck out of that "stream" crossing because that water was COLD! It's also proof that Laura can have a "heavy" foot when needed.

I shot a couple of pictures while out on the route Friday and here they are.

The first photo IS NOT a road that we'll be driving on, it's the C&O canal path. We'll be stopping here for lunch.

The second photo is to welcome our first Countryman to one of our events! We found a small "stream" crossing as a way to say "Welcome".

The third and final photo was almost missed because Cricket decided to get the heck out of that "stream" crossing because that water was COLD! It's also proof that Laura can have a "heavy" foot when needed.

oh lord..another water crossing?? I thought I had gotten those out of the way in NC.

Hey everybody, I just wanted to introduce ourselves. We are so glad to have found other MINI enthusiasts and we can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow. We're hauling out my mama and the baby for this one. I think my mom might be the most excited, lol. She's guaranteed to be a future MINI owner.

NessaDee

Ali,

Is everyone bringing their own lunch or is the plan to stop along the way. I'll need to make an early grocery run or stop in at Wegmans before we head out if we're bringing lunch with us.

Thanks! Ken

Yes everyone, please do your best to arrive so we can have a meeting (everyone) no later than 9:45.

To answer some previous questions now that the route has been finalized.

The length of the route is 112 miles - including lunch, it should be 4-5 hours. For those who need to get back sooner, there are a few places to bail and make a quicker return trip. On this route there are lots of back roads with twisties, pretty good pavement, scenery, and some history. There are a couple of REALLY neat 1 lane bridges and one "tunnel" under a railroad track that's really, really cool.

Lunch will still be a "picnic" style event so don't forget the chairs and bug spray that was mentioned in an earlier post.

Can't wait to see all of you out there!

Ali,

Is everyone bringing their own lunch or is the plan to stop along the way. I'll need to make an early grocery run or stop in at Wegmans before we head out if we're bringing lunch with us.

Thanks! Ken

Ken- You really want to bring lunch, there just aren't a lot of places to stop and get food before we hit the picnic area. The Wegmans will have lots of quick food options that you can get.

I would also suggest a blanket or chair to sit on, they don't have tables, but we are at a very pretty area.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Just an FYI for the newbs: Please give yourselves plenty of time if you plan on getting breakfast/lunch at Wegman's. At 9AM even on a Sunday, there's a possibility that it could be busy, i.e. long checkout lines.

I just say this so everyone has time enough to get what they need and still make the driver's meeting at 9:45. With such a long run and a such a big group, promptness is really helpful to the organizers. Driver's meeting is a must, especially if you've never been on a run before...

See y'all tomorrow :)

Thanks to everyone who came out for the run today. I'd really like to thank Mark for giving up a day with his wife Ali so he could navigate for us. I'd also like to thank Marty and Pammy and Jim and Dave for navigating the second group. Of course, it wouldn't be complete without thanking Ali and Celia for taking the sweep positions.

I hope everyone had a good time and saw countryside that you've never seen before. I really enjoyed meeting all of the new members and I look forward to another event soon!

Thanks for setting up the route Craig. Mark said he had fun navigating with you.

The scenery was beautiful and I also want to thank the couple that knew about the awesome park where we had lunch.

I am now exhausted from a fun day. I liked Sweeping!!! I think that's the most I've ever yapped on the walkie talkie.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Hey everybody, I just wanted to introduce ourselves. We are so glad to have found other MINI enthusiasts and we can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow. We're hauling out my mama and the baby for this one. I think my mom might be the most excited, lol. She's guaranteed to be a future MINI owner.

NessaDee

Hey Nessa it was great meeting you and your family today. I hope you guys had fun. Matchbox looked pretty happy out there on the twisties.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm so tired, I don't have the energy to go upstairs! I may sleep on the couch tonight. Too bad we don't have a vendor that does massage therapy! :)