cmcveay

Tires?

I went with the Star Spec's and loved every minute with them. The car still has them on it, I noticed that in the "Archie" sighting last week. The downside is that they did start to get noisy when on the road at speed. As far as handling though? Awesome...

thx cmcveay...

Happy :motor:

cp

So, I've developed a slow leak in one of my run flats, and I'm using this as an excuse to make the move to non-runflats.

Unlike Craig, I don't autocross (yet), but I do enjoy sporty driving.

Therefore, my needs are slightly different:

(1) All year tire

(2) That are better than the run craps in terms of handling

(3) That improve the ride-ability of the car.

Any thoughts? It should be known that I"m a New Englander and very familiar with driving in the snow. The tires don't have to be amazing in inclement weather, just not "sliding off straight roads" lack of grip, as a previous poster mentioned. I may begin autocross on a very, very casual basis.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Stella" 2007 MCS, SS/B, Red Lounge Leather, WMW DV, NM Engineering TA, KIWI WIFI + Rev + KUDA

Bill,

You'll get lots of replies so I'll start this ball rolling.

I've found that the Kumho Ecsta ASX (it's got a new name but it's their extreme performance all-season tire) did an awesome job for me. Wet, dry and even in Snowmaggedon, they didn't let me down. They even did well at autocross! No, they aren't the winter tire that some are and they aren't the summer tire like others but from my personal experience, they sure did cover a broad spectrum. I also ran 40's so the low profile made sure that I didn't have too much sidewall to squirm around and take away the responsive handling.

Good luck sorting through the replies and if you haven't seen it yet, google "miata tire size calculator" and you can juse that to compare different tire sizes. When I was sorting out which size to get, I created the spreadsheet and then, I had a quick reference that showed me differences in diameter, width and weight.

I put 235/40R-17's under a lowered R56 and only had minor issues with rubbing - that was at the rear of the rear wheelwells where the mudflaps were attached. Later, I put the same size Dunlop Starspec's on the car and since they are nearly an inch wider, the front tires did touch the fenderwell liner when the the steering wheel was all the way to the stops.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Bill,

You'll get lots of replies so I'll start this ball rolling.

I've found that the Kumho Ecsta ASX (it's got a new name but it's their extreme performance all-season tire) did an awesome job for me. Wet, dry and even in Snowmaggedon, they didn't let me down. They even did well at autocross! No, they aren't the winter tire that some are and they aren't the summer tire like others but from my personal experience, they sure did cover a broad spectrum. I also ran 40's so the low profile made sure that I didn't have too much sidewall to squirm around and take away the responsive handling.

Good luck sorting through the replies and if you haven't seen it yet, google "miata tire size calculator" and you can juse that to compare different tire sizes. When I was sorting out which size to get, I created the spreadsheet and then, I had a quick reference that showed me differences in diameter, width and weight.

I put 235/40R-17's under a lowered R56 and only had minor issues with rubbing - that was at the rear of the rear wheelwells where the mudflaps were attached. Later, I put the same size Dunlop Starspec's on the car and since they are nearly an inch wider, the front tires did touch the fenderwell liner when the the steering wheel was all the way to the stops.

Yeah - I certainly had no idea this was all so complicated!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Stella" 2007 MCS, SS/B, Red Lounge Leather, WMW DV, NM Engineering TA, KIWI WIFI + Rev + KUDA

It doesn't have to be actually. You can stay with the same exact size tire you have now and just find a different brand/model tire. I like Kumho because they won't break the bank but Pirelli, Continental, Dunlop and a couple of others also put out some fantastic tires.

How can I be sure that they will fit the wheels I currently have? I have the Web Spoke R98. The run craps, I believe, are 205/40-17. The Kumho Ecsta ASX sound great!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just make sure the rim size for the new tires is 17" and if you stay with the factory profile, they will fit. The tire industry is reasonably well standardized so a 205/40-17 from company A isn't going to be all that different dimensionally than the same size tire from another company.

I can tell you that I went up to the 235/40-17 with an OEM width (7.5") and offset wheel.

You could go as far as a 215/40-17 and not have any fitment/clearance issues at all.

The Miata tire size calculator that I mentioned earlier will take the tire dimensions and compare them again another size (you enter the numbers) and it will then show you the difference between the two. A "taller" tire or one with a larger diameter will roll fewer times in a given distance just as a shorter tire will roll more. Each has advantages and disadvantages so if it's just too confusing, I'd suggest staying as close as possible to the OEM tire size and just enjoy the improved traction of the better tires.

Careful with calling the Runflats names though. There are folks that absolutely swear by them and I must say, they do have their place in the world. All tires are a compromise and the main advantage of the RF is that you are much less likely to find yourself stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire.

How can I be sure that they will fit the wheels I currently have? I have the Web Spoke R98. The run craps, I believe, are 205/40-17. The Kumho Ecsta ASX sound great!
More likely your current tires are 205/45R17, as that is the standard MINI size for 17" wheels.

Run-flats are definitely a love/hate thing. I love mine... I particularly enjoy the feel of the razor-sharp turn-in, thanks to the uber-stiff sidewalls. I don't personally care much about the harsher ride. :smile: Based upon your posted requirements though, it does sound like you're a good candidate for non-runflats, and Craig's spent a lot of time researching non-runflats before, so his recommendations on tire brand and model are definitely worth consideration.

My only "caution" would be to realize that when you stray away from the stock tire sizes, your speedometer and odometer readings will also stray, unless you find a close match in terms of overall diameter & circumference.

Here is a direct link to the tire size calculator that Craig mentioned - it's very easy to use and I highly recommend it!

Finally, here are the various stock/OEM tire sizes that MINIs come shipped with, and their corresponding diameters:

15" - 175/65R15 - 23.96" (608.5mm)

16" - 195/55R16 - 24.44" (620.9mm)

17" - 205/45R17 - 24.26" (616.3mm)

18" - 205/40R18 - 24.46" (621.2mm)

(stock size info from the Wheel/Tire FAQ on MINI2.com)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

That's good info Haemish. I actually didn't realize just how small the tire diameter is between all of the OEM offerings - Looks like .5"?

In all of this, I also forgot to mention the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com). Even if you don't buy your tires from them, they have all the specifications and you can read reviews from users. These guys will also drop ship tires to the location that's doing the install so you don't have to drag the tires around town.

I've found that there usually is a difference between the calculated diameter and the actual diameter of real tires.

While a 205-45-17 may calculate out to 24.26 a real tire with vary, sometimes significantly... (but not enough to make a difference.)

I just replaced the stock RFT's with Star Specs in the 215-45-17 size. No fitment issues, and my speedo is now only 2 mph off vs the 3-4 it used to be. The non RFT tire is softer, rides better, but has less sharp turning. (as noted) I like it.

Edited by RichSperry

No matter where you go, there you are!

I am also looking at new tires. I was informed that t would be a good idea to get new ones before the Dragon.

These are the ones I was looking at:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=045WR7ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mini&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Cooper%20S%20Convertible&autoModClar=

Any comments?

Steve "Wizzer" P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2009 MINI Clubman S R55 "BATTPODD"

I am also looking at new tires. I was informed that t would be a good idea to get new ones before the Dragon.

These are the ones I was looking at:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=045WR7ECDWSXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mini&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Cooper%20S%20Convertible&autoModClar=

Any comments?

I have those in 215s. I do like them. They are an All Season so you can use them year round. I know at autocross I got a few comments about my tires not being sticky enough, but that's how it goes with All Seasons. What I like about them is that during the shoulder seasons between cold and warm, I still have a nice tire on. They also ride a lot nicer in the winter then snow tires do. I took them to the Dragon last year and was really happy with them. They're also very quiet.

Mark runs the DW summer performance version of them and likes them a lot.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I switched from OEM Dunlop run-flats (squeezed 46K miles out of them, btw) to Conti DWS this Sunday. The biggest impression - much, MUCH softer ride, kinda comparable to 'justa' loaner on 15 in. run-flats I drove recently. Haven't noticed any degradation in steering response that some report with Contis.

My RFTs are wearing out right on schedule, I'll need new tires by EOY. I wanted to go up to 17" and from all of the info already posted (:adore: Edge & cmcveay) it appears I can with 205/45's. My two questions:

Per Miata.net my speedo will read 0.4 mph too fast. I do/do not have to have it recalibrated (I thought my speedo was already off, an inherent MINI character trait)?

Any suggestions on where to buy OEM MINI wheels other than the dealer? I've already been trolling eBay, CL and NAM classifieds with no luck, and time is running out. Or am I just going to have to ante-up and sack everybody else's holiday gifts to fund my own fun & games?, e.g. http://parts.miniofsouthatlanta.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1096846&ukey_product=8405261 + four new tires. :eek:

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Or am I just going to have to ante-up and sack everybody else's holiday gifts to fund my own fun & games?, e.g. http://parts.miniofsouthatlanta.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1096846&ukey_product=8405261 + four new tires. :eek:

+1 :biggrin:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

The speedo reading fast is an inherent characteristic of, I believe, all cars. They wouldn't want it the other way for liability reasons.

Why insist on OEM, BTW?

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

My RFTs are wearing out right on schedule, I'll need new tires by EOY. I wanted to go up to 17" and from all of the info already posted (:adore: Edge & cmcveay) it appears I can with 205/45's. My two questions:

Per Miata.net my speedo will read 0.4 mph too fast. I do/do not have to have it recalibrated (I thought my speedo was already off, an inherent MINI character trait)?

Don't worry about the 0.4 mph difference. That's small enough for it not to really matter.

The 4 main OEM sizes on non-R60 MINIs are:

175/65R15

195/55R16

205/45R17

205/40R18

There are also these other OEM exceptions to the above 4:

205/60R16 (only on the R60)

205/55R17 (only on the R60)

215/40R17 (only on the GP2)

225/45R18 (only on the R60)

Any suggestions on where to buy OEM MINI wheels other than the dealer? I've already been trolling eBay, CL and NAM classifieds with no luck, and time is running out.
A few dealers do a lot of mail order / remote sales of OEM parts at a notable discount from the average dealer. Like a 20% discount. Classic MINI of Ohio and Morristown MINI come to mind. :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

For OEM stuff, I've been using Sewell. Register on North American Motoring for a discount, and look for Monday and holiday deals.

Kumho ASX is replaced by 4X. Good test results (snow not tested yet) on TireRack, and dirt cheap, and on sale as of yesterday... Dangit, cmcveay,you've complicated my choice. I was going for GY F1 Asymmetric (also on sale).

And the Kumho is available in my personal favorite size (225/50/16 on 7.5x16). Given your 235’s, seems I would not have rubbing on my stock height R56, despite the response from the TireRack rep. Negatives? Pretentious TV ads...

Other tires I had cosidered were the Conti DWS, and what appears to be the only acceptble RF, the BS 960.

Edited by OhBe1

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

I've ordered my 17" wheels and non-RFT tires, so now I'm thinking about getting the MINI spare. In searching NAM a poster suggested carrying a DynaPlug as slime can damage the TPMS. Anybody have/use one of these things?

Detroit tuned has a good deal on a spare

http://www.detroittuned.com/mini-spare-tire-kit/

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Put in an order for a set of Hankook Ventus V4 tires. I'm excited to try out the new tires and how they handle.

hankook_105_lg.jpg.47826234d2f71bd74a3d8aa4d2332f0c.jpg

hankook_105_lg.jpg.47826234d2f71bd74a3d8aa4d2332f0c.jpg

03 BRG MINI S: Sold!

05 PW Scion xB: D2 Coilovers, XXR 531 16x8, Yakima rack, Yakima basket, WINK, Plaid interior, and a whopping 108 HP!