cmcveay

Tires?

I finished a little project yesterday to get Ernie's extra set of tires up and out of the way in the garage. I took inspiration from a few images on the internet and built a wood frame, wall mounted, tire storage rack. It is built with deck screws, reinforced with deck hangers, lagged into the wall, and has wire cable supports.

As usual, it took longer than expected but I like the result. Yes, that is an old pink pool float tube that has been repurposed to protect the wheel finish.

awesome Bert! I'm jealous of your garage. I'm jealous of any garage. Because I don't have one :( It's been cold as heck working on the bike outside lately lolol

Any pics of Ernie's new shoes??

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

Any pics of Ernie's new shoes??

I understand missing a garage. At our last house I had a two car, 30' by 25' that was built to my specs. when we did renovations. Our current house (purchased 4 years ago) has a "two car" garage from the 1970's. I can get two cars in only when I strip out everything else (shelves, tools, yard machines, etc.). We are looking into options.

Ernie doesn't get to wear his new 17" summer shoes until the snow has stopped and the temperature is consistently above 40. He is comfortable and over confident in his 16" winter shoes right now.

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

I finished a little project yesterday to get Ernie's extra set of tires up and out of the way in the garage. I took inspiration from a few images on the internet and built a wood frame, wall mounted, tire storage rack. It is built with deck screws, reinforced with deck hangers, lagged into the wall, and has wire cable supports.

As usual, it took longer than expected but I like the result. Yes, that is an old pink pool float tube that has been repurposed to protect the wheel finish.

That's awesome Bert! We did something similar in the gardening shed. Lona's summer tires are kind of lonesome out there now though.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Last off topic post in this thread...just bringing a prior comment to Bert about garages full circle.

Bert, this is why I wish I had a garage lolol:

CAM00594.jpg

CAM00598.jpg

Anyway, story behind the pics is I decided to grow a pair and install the RSB myself. Hard part is done: old bar out, new bar in. Just need to button everything up later today, heading to sears for an automatic socket wrench lol...this manual wrench turning is for the birds! Looking forward to playing in my 'fort' today! lolol

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

When you guys order tires online, who do you have install them?

I have factory 205/55 R17 runflats and want to switch to a regular tire. I can't find non-runflats in that size so I'm looking at 225/50 - will they fit on my wheels?

wheels.jpg.dfe81f55de4ce8f0e5ee7b9e4b59a31c.jpg

wheels.jpg.dfe81f55de4ce8f0e5ee7b9e4b59a31c.jpg

I have factory 205/55 R17 runflats and want to switch to a regular tire. I can't find non-runflats in that size so I'm looking at 225/50 - will they fit on my wheels?

[ATTACH]1306[/ATTACH]

I have had a local service station install them and haven't had issues. They've also helped me with sizes that will fit. I also have a certain guy I go to that won't treat me like a girl. He moved to a place right near Passport. I can find the info if you need it.

PTuning can also help

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

[ATTACH]1306[/ATTACH]

That's an awfully big jump to go from 205/55 to 225/50's. I checked on Tire Rack and they have lots of non-runflats in 205/55 so that may be a source that you didn't check yet. At least you'll know if a locally sold brand actually comes in the size you are looking for. Out of curiosity, why skip past 215's and go all the way to 225?

1st Gens may have a bit of trouble stuffing that much tire into unmodified wheel wells but a 2nd Gen can do it if the wheel's offset is right.

If you are on OEM wheels, I think they will be 7 or 7.5" wide and that should work for either of the two sets of tires but you may run into problem with the tires rubbing with suspension compression or when turning at full lock since the 225 is about .75" wider than the 205.

If you order from Tire Rack, they will drop ship to your house or, you can work with just about any of the local tire shops and garages to have the tires dropped there for install. One of our vendors, Mach V motor sprots (fastmini.net) did this for me several times and they provided quick, reasonably priced service.

That's an awfully big jump to go from 205/55 to 225/50's. I checked on Tire Rack and they have lots of non-runflats in 205/55 so that may be a source that you didn't check yet. At least you'll know if a locally sold brand actually comes in the size you are looking for. Out of curiosity, why skip past 215's and go all the way to 225?

All of the 205/55's on TireRack are summer tires and I'd prefer an all-season. I skipped 215's in trying to maintain the same ratio... But I see there are many choices in 215/50, so I guess that's what I'll do.

Edited by melissa99

Somehow, I didn't realize it was you with that question! With the CM, you won't have any issues with the 225 fitting but I'd still be concerned with it rubbing on the inside because of the wider tire on the factory offset putting it so close to the inside of the wheel well.

For what it's worth, take a look at the Kumho Ecsta 4x. Extreme performance all-season tires. I ran a different model - replaced by the 4x and they were simply awesome tires. Looks like they have your size as well! Don't forget a small flat repair kit if you do ditch the RF's, it's just good insurance. I also had a small 12v inflator so I could plug and pump it back up.