jcooper

License plate

Yikes! That's expensive! Cravenspeed and I believe Outmotoring have cheaper options. I've got the Craven one on my Countryman which will probably be at MINI of Montgomery on Saturday if you want to check it out.

My experience with the front tag laws is that it depends on the cop... The last time I lived in VA I went 3 years without a front tag with no problems - including picking up a speeding ticket in Centreville from a Fairfax County motor officer who could see clearly that I didn't have a front tag and never mentioned it...

My car's registered in OH now, and there I went 4 years without the front tag including parking tail in across the street from a police station weekly without any problems... Two months ago an officer in a neighboring town was looking for reasons to stop people and nabbed me...:banghead:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haemish had one of those and said it wasn't very good. But I would ask him. Also if you wanted you could put the plate on the in side of the car like I do.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

Haemish had one of those and said it wasn't very good. But I would ask him. Also if you wanted you could put the plate on the in side of the car like I do.

I think he's had at least 3 or 4 of them. The wiring doesn't hold up well. However, they do make a non-electric version that would probably last longer.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Yikes! That's expensive! Cravenspeed and I believe Outmotoring have cheaper options. I've got the Craven one on my Countryman which will probably be at MINI of Montgomery on Saturday if you want to check it out.

My experience with the front tag laws is that it depends on the cop... The last time I lived in VA I went 3 years without a front tag with no problems - including picking up a speeding ticket in Centreville from a Fairfax County motor officer who could see clearly that I didn't have a front tag and never mentioned it...

My car's registered in OH now, and there I went 4 years without the front tag including parking tail in across the street from a police station weekly without any problems... Two months ago an officer in a neighboring town was looking for reasons to stop people and nabbed me...:banghead:

Thats very true. I've stopped at a 711 and a cop gave me crap about my lights and tags. But then ive been parked right in front of cop and nothing happened.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

Is there a screw in/threaded front tow hook on the MINI? If so, many of my exotic customers opt to go that route and I have one on my wife's Cayenne. Perhaps I can reach out to my contact and organize a group buy if there is enough interest.

- Darryl

EDIT: Here's a couple of options for everyone:

http://www.cravenspeed.com/the-platypus/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Cooper-Front-License-Plate-Holder-Bracket-Mount-Tow-Hook-No-Holes-No-Drill-/280925189654

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=54810

Looks as though there are a number of different ones to go with.....this method gets my vote!

Edited by Odds and Ends

Is there a screw in/threaded front tow hook on the MINI? If so, many of my exotic customers opt to go that route and I have one on my wife's Cayenne. Perhaps I can reach out to my contact and organize a group buy if there is enough interest.

- Darryl

There is. There are several vendors out there that have them too - PTUNING, CravenSpeed, and some others that I don't remember. PTUNING has one that can mount a GoPro too

Wondering if anyone in Virginia has experience with commuting without a front license plate. I believe its a ticket-able offense, but do they enforce it? The MINI just looks so great without it :(

It is indeed a ticket-able offense. My friend Stephanie has a white EVO MR X and her car comes from the factory with the license plate on the side to not block the intercooler. She has been pulled over numerous times in the Fairfax area and had to physically show them how her tag is. It's not worth the hassle if you ask me.

Check this one out: http://www.usmillworks.com/mini.html

Yes, it's expensive. IMO it's head-and-shoulders better than Cravenspeed's option. I've owned both, so have a few others on the group. Matter of fact, my wife's running my old Cravenspeed on her MINI and I have the US Millworks on my VW. You're free to compare the quality of both, if you're out my direction.

-Jim

Yes, it's expensive. IMO it's head-and-shoulders better than Cravenspeed's option. I've owned both, so have a few others on the group. Matter of fact, my wife's running my old Cravenspeed on her MINI and I have the US Millworks on my VW. You're free to compare the quality of both, if you're out my direction.

-Jim

That's a heck of a lot cheaper than the one from Swift...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Jim

+1 for usmillworks.com it can be adjusted in all directions. The Cravenspeed one didn't allow enough room around my bumper to install. I ended up returning it.

CHILLIN001.jpg

-Jim

+1 for this outfit! The lightened version gives you all kinds of options for mounting with regards to up/down and to either side. Top notch quality too!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I think he's had at least 3 or 4 of them. The wiring doesn't hold up well. However, they do make a non-electric version that would probably last longer.
Although I am not directly familiar with the "Swift Performance" version of the hideaway license plate product, I have lots of experience with a very similar, competing product called the "Show N Go" by Altec Products, which is sold by many vendors including Amazon.

I bought the motorized one, because it was a cool idea. Indeed, it's a pretty neat trick to hit a button on your keychain and watch the license plate fold away out of sight, or pop back out again. However, after I made the initial investment (it's about $100 extra for the motorized one vs. the non-motorized one), plus the labor of installing it (including figuring out a way to easily detach it when the bumper cover has to come off), I can say that it has been nothing but a bad decision.

I have had so many of these break or fail on me... I think I've bought 5 of them now, each at $130-150 a pop. They are so flimsy and the motor and drive wires to drive the plate are so cheap. Due to the design requirements, just about everything is exposed to the elements, right there under your front bumper cover.

Looking back, I wish I'd just bought the $50 non-motorized version and manually slid the plate away (or pulled it out) as desired, without the fancy motorized version. Assuming I get my MINI back the way I want it from the April accident, I will be replacing it with the non-motorized one.

I like the tow hook designs (the US Mill Works one is definitely very well made), and you can't go wrong with that method... but I like the idea of quickly and easily hiding the plate when you are at a car show or you travel to a state that doesn't require a front plate (like TN & NC... every year for MOTD). :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

+1 for this outfit! The lightened version gives you all kinds of options for mounting with regards to up/down and to either side. Top notch quality too!

+...(Where are we now, 4 or 5?) :top:

I have the US Mill works holder on both the Wagon and the M and it works GREAT! I love the fact that it's heavy duty AND the ball mount lets you angle it to match the bumper. I've taken the one on the Wagon through a few car washes with no problems :biggrin:

Wonder how the revenuers woud respond to this...

http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/usa-euro-style-license-plates.html

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

Wonder how the revenuers woud respond to this...

http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/usa-euro-style-license-plates.html

Since it's not an official plate issued by the DMV they would ticket you for not having a front plate.

I've been through this - even if the tag matches your state registration, it's not the tag issued by the DMV and therefore does not meet the front tag requirement... If they want to get you for not having a front tag - a Euro tag won't get you out of it...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since it's not an official plate issued by the DMV they would ticket you for not having a front plate.

I've been through this - even if the tag matches your state registration, it's not the tag issued by the DMV and therefore does not meet the front tag requirement... If they want to get you for not having a front tag - a Euro tag won't get you out of it...

UGH well that's just annoying :( :banghead: ... I hate Virginia sometimes (by sometimes, I mean more than sometimes.)

UGH well that's just annoying :( :banghead: ... I hate Virginia sometimes (by sometimes, I mean more than sometimes.)
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the case would be the same in any state that requires a front plate.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Oh, I agree they'd ticket you, if they realized it was a faux plate. But the existence of legal foreign plates in this area might throw them off. Looks cool, anyway. Certainly better than the MD 1812 plates.

At any rate, I've been driving Miatas without a front plate since '98.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...

Oh, I agree they'd ticket you, if they realized it was a faux plate. But the existence of legal foreign plates in this area might throw them off. Looks cool, anyway. Certainly better than the MD 1812 plates.

At any rate, I've been driving Miatas without a front plate since '98.

If the cop is looking for a reason to pull you over - and if you're getting nabbed for no front tag they're looking for a reason to pull you over - the Euro tag isn't going to get you out of it...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]