minime331

OEM wheel painting

sadly i have taken some road rash/ curb rash to my rims. what i want to know there a way to re paint the scratches as the is there a product oem or other brand that matches the color of the wheels.

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

If you want to do it yourself there are a number of products and kits available. I remember a thread on Motoring Alliance not long ago. You use filler (what is used to repair car bodies to fill the curb rash and them paint. The hard part is the sanding. Wheels have lots of areas that are hard to get down into. The easiest way is to have the wheels glass beaded. Original equipment and most aftermarket wheels are painted with the same paint used on the rest of the car, two part urethane. The most durable type of coating is powder coating. There is a place in Frederick that will do just the coating not the preperation for $50.00 per wheel.

sorry but if you really love your car you wouldnt get rash in the first place, except on tire....thats understandable.:stupid:

i do love my car but when you get the car used and the person before you scratches the wheels its just one of the thing that i now need to fix

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

sorry but if you really love your car you wouldnt get rash in the first place, except on tire....thats understandable.:stupid:

Andrew - sometimes accidents happen, it doesn't mean one doesn't greatly love or appreciate their car. There's no reason to be rude towards a fellow MINIac who is simply asking for solid advice.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Andrew - sometimes accidents happen, it doesn't mean one doesn't greatly love or appreciate their car. There's no reason to be rude towards a fellow MINIac who is simply asking for solid advice.

thank you

well i didnt think of the used car deal, my brother is a horrible driver and has alot of beef with curbs lol......but if your going to paint or dip, black is always the way to go to me :motor: so.....now that my foots out of my mouth any other options for rims lol

Was not trying to disrespect or be rude to anyone, but didnt think of the WHOLE situation or possibilities.

I did mine, including fixing some rash, for about $65 in materials, and about 4.5 hours of work. It really isn't hard.

Are your rims flat, or cleared?

I have a step by step(with pics)if you are interested.

clear i think there the black r108 multi spoke wheels

2818d1334166788-multi-spoke-r108-black-winter-wheels.jpg not my pic

i was wondering if i can do just the rash parts or should i do the whole wheel? if its recommended to do the whole wheel ill just have it done by a pro if i can just do the spots i might do it my self

If I could find a cheap used oven and a certified electrician willing to work cheap, we'd have powdercoating options! The oven would be needed to do the "Baking" part of the powder coat process and I'd need an electrician to run the 220v out to the garage to power the oven. With a set up like that, custom wheel/part powdercoating would be a pretty simple process!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

If I could find a cheap used oven and a certified electrician willing to work cheap, we'd have powdercoating options! The oven would be needed to do the "Baking" part of the powder coat process and I'd need an electrician to run the 220v out to the garage to power the oven. With a set up like that, custom wheel/part powdercoating would be a pretty simple process!

You can't use the oven in your kitchen? :biggrin::wink:

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I thought about that - trust me. The powdercoating's "off gassing" makes it unfit for food preparation. If I didn't ever cook, it would be a different story! :)

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

My dad could do this :biggrin:

http://www.yeolewheelshop.net/

Ye Old Wheel Shop

6363 Washington Blvd

Elkridge, MD 21075

Phone: 410-796-8400

I've used these guys in years past.

I hate that after 20 years in business, they have such an antiquated site. I remember the site from 3 years ago, or so, and nothing has been updated. Everything you click on from the gallery, to testimonials, stall all says "Coming Soon".

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

I hate that after 20 years in business, they have such an antiquated site. I remember the site from 3 years ago, or so, and nothing has been updated. Everything you click on from the gallery, to testimonials, stall all says "Coming Soon".

While I agree that their site stinks, I'm more concerned about their wheel repair vs. web master skills.

2006 R53 6 Speed with Aero

British Racing Green

------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While I agree that their site stinks, I'm more concerned about their wheel repair vs. web master skills.

Well, that's just it: I would love to read some reviews/testimonials, as well as see some examples of their craftsmanship. . . and ya can't:frown:

They reviews Google provide all stink, the reviews in Baltimore.cityseach all suck. . . all the more reason they should have a site that features what they say they can do, not have the features installed, yet do nothing with 'em. Just a little bit of an internet peeve for me.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr