RyanMBlue

Cleaning Wheels

So I have Rota RBs, Black with Polished Lip.

1st question. The polished lip. I have to assume that is polished aluminum? Chrome? I need to pick the correct cleaner to match the material.

2nd question. Any cleaning suggestions to remove some stubborn brake dust and black spots on the polished part of the rim?

Thanks in advance!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For the brake dust, Sonax (order online) or Simple Green. If you want to try the Sonax, I have some you can use.

One the wheels are clean and dry, spray them with Armor All Wheel Protectant. It really helps repel the dust and makes cleaning them the next time much easier.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

At the Dragon they were showing the Prima Wheel Sonax, it has a chemical reaction with the brake dust and allows you to wash it off easily. It changes color as it works. It goes on green and turns a dark red as it lifts the brake dust

Mark bought it and I think he liked it.

I'm using Armoral wheel protectant right now, but I think Prima might have one and if they do, I'll just switch to that.

I found it here and they have images at the bottom that explain how it works

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax-Full-Effect-3-Pack-Kit_p_593.html

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

So I have Rota RBs, Black with Polished Lip.

1st question. The polished lip. I have to assume that is polished aluminum? Chrome? I need to pick the correct cleaner to match the material.

2nd question. Any cleaning suggestions to remove some stubborn brake dust and black spots on the polished part of the rim?

Thanks in advance!!!

If you want to try Sonax, LMK. I'm close by, relatively speaking, and have a few bottles.

That being said, if your wheels are really dirty, any wheel cleaner will need the assistance of a brush to agitate the dirt. I've had good results with diluted SImple Green, some Adams General Purpose cleaner, and a few others. The cleaners I have are safe for all finishes, so no worries there.

-Jim

I have the same Wheels in Gunmetal and the same issues you are experiencing.

It looks like the coating on the "Polished Lip" coating is coming off and has black spots too.

I think they might need to be resurfaced or polished professionally to remove those spots and then after that only use products like SONAX that react only with the brake dust. I am not expert but when I had a "Wheel" guy look at them that was his initial recommendation.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

If you want to try Sonax, LMK. I'm close by, relatively speaking, and have a few bottles.

That being said, if your wheels are really dirty, any wheel cleaner will need the assistance of a brush to agitate the dirt. I've had good results with diluted SImple Green, some Adams General Purpose cleaner, and a few others. The cleaners I have are safe for all finishes, so no worries there.

-Jim

Pressure washer!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I believe you can also use a dremel and some really fine grit sandpaper to smooth those kinds of areas out. I'd have to research it a bit though.

Do NOT do that if the wheel lips that are polished have a clear coat over them. If the brake dust has gotten into the clear coat and its starting to spider web, stain or flake then the aluminum is oxidizing and there is nothing you can do now.

Your option is to have the clear removed off of the lips, re-polished and then cleared again. I would leave them bare without polish because the clear takes a little of the shine away from the aluminum. Having no clear on the lips means more work tho. Making sure the wheels are cleaned weekly, and polished every once in a while.

I've had good luck with "Wheel Wax" taking off baked on brake dust and those pesky little black dots. That was applying by hand, so lots of elbow grease...but was able to restore one of my neighbors wheels to a very acceptable level of appearance.

Wheel wax is a wax and has cleaning properties as well.

Sherm

:top:

Do NOT do that if the wheel lips that are polished have a clear coat over them. If the brake dust has gotten into the clear coat and its starting to spider web, stain or flake then the aluminum is oxidizing and there is nothing you can do now.

Your option is to have the clear removed off of the lips, re-polished and then cleared again. I would leave them bare without polish because the clear takes a little of the shine away from the aluminum. Having no clear on the lips means more work tho. Making sure the wheels are cleaned weekly, and polished every once in a while.

Exactly what my Wheel Guy said.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

I use Maguire's wheel cleaner or Simple Green foam. The SG stuff is fantastic, and hopefully not too harmful. Then throw on some polish or even Banana Gloss to help cut down on the brake dust. Next wash I'm going to try out Prima's stuff, I'll let you know how it goes.

I find the biggest problem is getting the actual rubber tire clean. If that's clean, my wheels tend to look better for awhile, but getting the rubber clean without too much wear on it is difficult. Applying tire shine also seems to collect up brake dust too. I'm ways off from new brakes (only at 12k), but I'll probably make the switch too.

Has anyone painted their calipers? I was discussing this with the younger brother (Mustang owner) and have thought about it, just don't know anyone who's done it with good/bad experiences.

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe

Has anyone painted their calipers? I was discussing this with the younger brother (Mustang owner) and have thought about it, just don't know anyone who's done it with good/bad experiences.

Laura painted Cricket's calipers green

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I use Maguire's wheel cleaner or Simple Green foam. The SG stuff is fantastic, and hopefully not too harmful. Then throw on some polish or even Banana Gloss to help cut down on the brake dust. Next wash I'm going to try out Prima's stuff, I'll let you know how it goes.

I find the biggest problem is getting the actual rubber tire clean. If that's clean, my wheels tend to look better for awhile, but getting the rubber clean without too much wear on it is difficult. Applying tire shine also seems to collect up brake dust too. I'm ways off from new brakes (only at 12k), but I'll probably make the switch too.

I did!!

I used the G2 caliper paint. You can buy it from Mach V, but I bought it directly from G2's website. They have about 10 colors that are "stock" or you can get any color you want custom made. You just send them the paint code. It's $40 for the regular stuff and $100 for the custom. The kit includes everything you need.

It was pretty easy, but you have to be patient with it. The hardest part was cleaning the brakes. I did it with the brakes still on the car (this is how the instructions are written), but if I did it again, I would probably take them off so I could thoroughly clean them. You also can't drive the car for 24 hours while the paint cures. I borrowed Craig's garage to both do the project and let Cricket hang out overnight. My apartment complex would've had a fit about a car being left on jack stands over night.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I used a Magic Eraser on my white wheels and I no longer had brake dust, but it definitely damaged my clear coat.

I got them repainted and switched to ceramic brake pads. :)

That's what I want - some pads that produce much less dust!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I have the same Wheels in Gunmetal and the same issues you are experiencing.

It looks like the coating on the "Polished Lip" coating is coming off and has black spots too.

I think they might need to be resurfaced or polished professionally to remove those spots and then after that only use products like SONAX that react only with the brake dust. I am not expert but when I had a "Wheel" guy look at them that was his initial recommendation.

Same wheels and issues with 2 of the 4. Under warranty, Mach got the replaced. For the dust, put on ceramic brake pads.

So much for m typing... Mach V (Dan) got the Rota wheels replaced under warranty. Also bought the brake pads from him. Ordered the "special" caliper compression tool online, worked great. Hardest part was removal of the sensors, used fishing line to patiently pull without breaking.