Scavenger

Window Tinting Update

I know there are already several threads for tinting, but I want to know, who is the most up to date "best source" for getting Window Tint:questionmark:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I had good luck with sonic sound off of 50 and glebe in Arlington. They're quick, did a good job and guarantee their work. Seems like it was 160 or 180

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After I had one of the windows to be done by Carlos that involved a long trip to his place (not to bash him, but defects happen), I try to use places close to my home or work, so my other car was done in Gaithersburg @ In Car Electronics I.C.E. $200 for an SUV, so MINI should be cheaper.

After I had one of the windows to be done by Carlos that involved a long trip to his place (not to bash him, but defects happen), I try to use places close to my home or work, so my other car was done in Gaithersburg @ In Car Electronics I.C.E. $200 for an SUV, so MINI should be cheaper.

I heard that Carlos is now more mobile and if you get a few people together he'll come to you. You just need a garage and a few MINIs that need a tint.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'd be interested, and I know El_Coqui needs tint too, but he won't be up here until June.

I'd be interested too and June would work for me. But first we need a garage and can't assume that the Garage Mahal is available :biggrin:

Then I could get the contact info for Carlos and find out the details.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Any news on getting people together for a "tint party"? I'd be in on the tint too if we find a reputable tint shop. I'd love to get the new 3M Crystalline, but it appears that only a few places currently use it and they charge a premium for the install. Tint will be my next "mod". I was thinking 35% on the hatch and rear windows and 50% up front...

Btw, ticket for too dark tint in va is $60 (doh!) (i'm running 35% on the sides and back. . .legal in KS where my vehicle is tagged but the local constabulary didn't seem to care)

When you do your tint (if it matters to you), don't forget that the mini comes with a tiny bit of tint form the factory. . .when the officer checked my windows, they were actually about 5% darker than advertised.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Geno got a ticket on his Acura two days after we had purchased it. We were in DC at the time and the police officer finally gave us a warning but she wasn't planning to at first. She didn't care that we had no idea what the tint level or limit was.

Signature.JPG

Mark bought his in VA and we know it's too dark, it came like that from Carmax. He had no idea when he bought it either. You would think a dealer has to make sure the cars they sell are legal. He's been lucky so far

Tggrrr010.jpg

Weird that they can write up something that is legal in the state where the car is registered

I'm guessing you could fight it. What if you're a tourist just passing through? Are you supposed to get rid of your tint just because it's not legal where you are going?

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Truth be told, I don't think most officers care about the tint. . .it's more of a side law that can be tacked on if either someone is being a jerk or the officer is having a bad day.

The officer that pulled me over for allegedly running a red light (I didn't) was being a total jerk with no reason that I could see. Made me roll my window back *up* so he could test the tint. . .he was looking for trouble.

I had GPS proof that I was innocent (shows me sitting for 8 seconds in the middle of the innersection committed to the turn, turned 45* towards the road I was turning into.) Then the messed up rules with the court system disallowed my GPS proof in court citing "no electronic devices in the court to help prevent terroritst attacks". Name one instance in the history of our fine country where a terrorist attack happened on a traffic court. bleah. So I got stuck with a $270 tickets for all of that.

Shameful they let such people be "law enforcement".

Sorry for the rant! Bah!

But I suppose for all the times i deserve a ticket and don't get one, it's fitting that this should happen. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As for fighting it, i called the commonwealth attorney. . .she said the law is based on where you are. Same thing with radar detectors. Doesn't matter where you're licensed. . .if you're using it in their jurisdiction, you're guilty.

Again with the tint, I don't think it's something most officers even bother with unless they've got a chip on their shoulders about something.

Anyway, I like my dark tint. If i have to pay a $60 "tax" to keep it then so be it.

(sorry for derailing the thread!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I paid my $40 "tax" and the $64 admin fee for the radar detector too.

I think the Commonwealth attorney gave some bad info though. When I was on the other side of the badge in San Diego, we had to be cognizant of the registered state for the vehicle when it came to equipment and we couldn't write a ticket for something that was illegal in CA but legal in the state the vehicle was registered. In these cases, I think the tickets are written with the knowledge that a tourist isn't likely to come back to VA (or anywhere else for that matter) to fight it so it's "free money"...

I'm thread jacking though - what was the question?

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Yup, you were the only reason I called in and asked. Sure enough. I spent 3 hours on the phone being passed around trying to get an "Exemption". Turns out the court police or court marshall's office (i'll have to check my notes on whatever they were called) are the only ones that can give you a pass on it and they conveniently never answer their phone or return calls.

Seems like willful obstruction of justice to me! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Weird that they can write up something that is legal in the state where the car is registered

Yeah, that really makes no sense, and seems like just another way to separate people, from their money. That is some schiesty business.

I know that this is a different example, but now, in the City of Fairfax, we are required to have a City Sticker. I had mine, didn't install it due to, well, forgetting all about it. . .got a ticket, had to go to court to say "yes, I have it, and it's on the windscreen", Dismissed. BUT, there were like 8 others, that are attending Mason, have VA tags, NOT LIVING IN FAIRFAX CITY, but were ticketed because the Officer "saw the vehicles for more than a week" and ticketed them all. All were dismissed, but still, what a crock, and a waste of time.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

That happened to me years and year ago. I had plates from Fentress County TN and the Navy had me in Memphis (Shelby County). Long story short, I was running open headers and caught the attention of a County sheriff. He "did me a favor" and wrote me a ticket for not having a Shelby County inspection sticker without realizing I wasn't required to have one. I had to go to court and it was dismissed.

I'm glad we live about 6 feet beyond the boundaries of the City of Fairfax. Out of curiosity, how much does that decal cost and what's the purpose of it?

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

That happened to me years and year ago. I had plates from Fentress County TN and the Navy had me in Memphis (Shelby County). Long story short, I was running open headers and caught the attention of a County sheriff. He "did me a favor" and wrote me a ticket for not having a Shelby County inspection sticker without realizing I wasn't required to have one. I had to go to court and it was dismissed.

I'm glad we live about 6 feet beyond the boundaries of the City of Fairfax. Out of curiosity, how much does that decal cost and what's the purpose of it?

I want to say it was $33? IIRC, they don't issue it/allow you to renew, until you have paid your personal property tax though, so basically, it's just a revenue maker.

Edited by TATTRAT

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

The "parking sticker" for arlington (at least my neighborhood) is $22.

They have some crazy other rules about registering your car. . .My car is registered in Kansas. . .I got sent a ticket in the mail (i park in off street parking. . not sure how they found out that I was parking there) they *insisted* that if I kept my vehicle in Arlington for more than 2 months out of the year that I have to get plates and register my vehicle in VA. After about a dozen phonecalls and letters with me telling them arguing and telling them it's illegal what they're doing, they told me that I could pay a $100 "alternate state registration tax" and if I didn't they'd put a lien on my car. I think i've still got all the letters and docs back and forth on this. I'll see if I can scan them all and upload. It's a complete racket they're running. Don't even let me get on my soapbox about speed/stoplight cameras!

I ended up paying the fee. . .still keeping my car registered in KS though. The difference in yearly vehicle taxes more than makes up the difference. Again, I suspect it's injust and could be fought in court but the amount of time and energy is reaching the point of diminishing returns.

I've lived all over the place. . .I've *never* seen a corrupt system like the Commonwealth of Virginia. Oh well, this is where the jobs are so I'll have to put up with it. :p

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They have some crazy other rules about registering your car. . .My car is registered in Kansas. . .I got sent a ticket in the mail (i park in off street parking. . not sure how they found out that I was parking there) they *insisted* that if I kept my vehicle in Arlington for more than 2 months out of the year that I have to get plates and register my vehicle in VA. After about a dozen phonecalls and letters with me telling them arguing and telling them it's illegal what they're doing, they told me that I could pay a $100 "alternate state registration tax" and if I didn't they'd put a lien on my car. I think i've still got all the letters and docs back and forth on this. I'll see if I can scan them all and upload. It's a complete racket they're running.

I ended up paying the fee. . .still keeping my car registered in KS though. The difference in yearly vehicle taxes more than makes up the difference.

I've lived all over the place. . .I've *never* seen a corrupt system like the Commonwealth of Virginia. Oh well, this is where the jobs are so I'll have to put up with it. :p

My apartment in Falls Church sent out a letter stating that the police could come on the property at any time and ticket any car that didn't have a sticker and VA tags. It's ridiculous.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

They have some crazy other rules about registering your car. . .My car is registered in Kansas. . .I got sent a ticket in the mail (i park in off street parking. . not sure how they found out that I was parking there) they *insisted* that if I kept my vehicle in Arlington for more than 2 months out of the year that I have to get plates and register my vehicle in VA. After about a dozen phonecalls and letters with me telling them arguing and telling them it's illegal what they're doing, they told me that I could pay a $100 "alternate state registration tax" and if I didn't they'd put a lien on my car. I think i've still got all the letters and docs back and forth on this. I'll see if I can scan them all and upload. It's a complete racket they're running. Don't even let me get on my soapbox about speed/stoplight cameras!

I ended up paying the fee. . .still keeping my car registered in KS though. The difference in yearly vehicle taxes more than makes up the difference. Again, I suspect it's injust and could be fought in court but the amount of time and energy is reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Sorry but you live in Arlington and don't register your car where you live? Do you have a Virginia drivers license? Does your insurance company know this? (if not it's insurance fraud...) Maybe it's ok if you are a student. but it's not ok if you are doing it to save some money because you think they charge too much.

If you live in a state you REQUIRED to register the car, and have a drivers license from that state. It's pretty simple...

No matter where you go, there you are!

Sorry but you live in Arlington and don't register your car where you live? Do you have a Virginia drivers license? Does your insurance company know this? (if not it's insurance fraud...) Maybe it's ok if you are a student. but it's not ok if you are doing it to save some money because you think they charge too much.

If you live in a state you REQUIRED to register the car, and have a drivers license from that state. It's pretty simple...

No, you're not. If you're military, for example, you can register your car in whatever state your home of record is. Between your drivers license, car tags, and insurance, 2 of the 3 must be from the same state. Also, if you own a home in another state, and you spend a certain percentage of your time there, you could also register your car in that state and be fine. So, it's not as cut-and-dry as you make it sound.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've got some personal experience with this. If you have sources that state otherwise, please share them.

-Jim

I have a KS driver's license. I own a car, real estate, a home, a business and pay taxes in KS. George W maintained a residence and his state of record in TX but spent less than a week out of the year there. . .I spend far more time back in KS than that, don't see why I can't. I move my insurance back and forth depending on what state my cars are parked at the time.

Don't worry, i'm not committing fraud.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]