luthientier

Needing/Wanting to buy a MINI

Ok, so it was suggested that I come and join this forum and pose my question.

First off I want a MINI very badly. I posted my dilemma on NAM http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/coupe-talk-2007/190041-at-what-point-should-i-give-up.html#post3061367

That is the link to it, and I would appreciate any help that I could get.

For those that don't feel like reading it there, the short story is: I went to Passport of Alexandria to test drive a MINI, I told my MA that I did not want to buy that day at all. But I was VERY serious about getting a MINI so I would be back some other time when I was more ready. MY MA then proceeds to get his GM and they tell me that if I wanted to order a 2010 MINI I would HAVE to do it by the end of May, because once June hits they stop taking orders for 2010's and do inventory, then around July they can start taking orders for 2011's. So I "have" to order my MINI today if I want my dark silver automatic MINI cooper s with black wheels.

So I guess my question is if this is just a ploy to get me to buy NOW, and if anyone has any advice about maybe another dealer/MA I should talk to in the area. Anyone you may have had good dealings with.

If you read my thread on NAM, you can see what my situation is exactly.

Thanks a lot for any help that any of you may be able to give me. I very much look forward to motoring as soon as possible!( but not sooner than I'm ready for!:tongue:

I would just go with what a lot of people on NAM said.

I wouldn't rush into a $30,000 car purchase just because a MA is pressuring you to "BUY NOW"

This is a car that you will (hopefully) be living with for 5-10 years. You don't want to cut corners. Even if what they are telling you (about no ordering in June) is true, you will more-than-likely be able to find a low-mileage pre-owned or even a 2010 new Mini that some dealer is dying to get off their lot in a few months.

If you are like me, however, and once you decide you want something you need to get it FAST, then just make sure you call around to all of the area dealerships and confirm what your MA is telling you is true. Another dealer may be willing to work with you to get what YOU want, and not what THEY want.

I got my 2009 MCS from Mini of Sterling last August, and they had more selection that I knew what to do with. I was planning on custom ordering one, but they had one on their lot that had EVERYTHING that I wanted, minus 1 or 2 options that I could have done without anyhow.

Good luck with the Mini hunt!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks a lot.

I emailed my MA and told him I'm going to wait to buy one, till I do more looking around and thinking before I make such a large purchase.

I am not going to let them pressure me into something I'm not ready for.

I will keep looking around diligently till I make me decision.

:motor:

Thanks a lot.

I emailed my MA and told him I'm going to wait to buy one, till I do more looking around and thinking before I make such a large purchase.

I am not going to let them pressure me into something I'm not ready for.

I will keep looking around diligently till I make me decision.

:motor:

Good call and certainly one that you won't regret. :top:

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

I spent weeks at PMoA studying, analyzing and scrutinizing their inventory. I just couldn't find the ONE. I took a few days and slept on it. They "suggested" that I get my order in for a 2010 but the price list hadn't hit the streets yet.

I don't know why I was out there but I found myself at MoS (MINI of Sterling). I think I was actually having lunch at Weagman's with a friend and just stumbled onto the dealership. I had no intentions of getting a MINI simply because I hadn't found the ONE.

Well, low and behold, she found me... and in a S! The exact packages and color combination. I went in there for cheese and wine lunch and came home with a 09 HzB/B MCS! Talk about a filling meal!

I would hold out and she will find you!

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

My Tigger found me too. I got him at Carmax in Sterling. I had been searching the internet and I really wanted an orange convertible (I had no idea back then that the orange ones only came in convertibles). I found two of them at Carmax and I called to have one reserved for a test drive. One was an S the other wasn't, I honestly knew very little about the MINI but said to reserve the S.

I went in, looked that the two cars and they were very similar in mileage but the S was $1,000 more, it had been sitting on the lot longer so they'd dropped the price. I took it for a test drive and I drove like a whimp, the sales guy kept telling me to go ahead and punch it, but I was scared to. Geeesh :embarassed:

So I said decided to take the S because it had a hood scoop and I thought that was cuter. NOW, I know I made the right decision and have been happy with my Tigger since day one. :motor:

I did buy the first car I test drove, but I had researched enough cars online, knew my price point and had some idea of what I wanted.

If I bought another MINI I'm sure it would be a very different process as I actually know something now, but I agree, not to let the sales guy pressure you.

Good luck in your search

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I have a slightly different perspective here. First of all, if you really want a MINI but you don't need a MINI right away (i.e. you actually have transportation that will get you by), then don't rush into anything.

Secondly, I am of the strong opinion that it is always better to wait and custom order exactly what you want, no unwanted options, and none missing that you kinda/sorta/wish-you-had. After all, MINI is one of the few brands that lets you choose exactly what you want. They do have "combo" packages available to save money, but you don't have to get the packages to get the individual options - you can still do a full "à la carte" order to include just one or two of those pieces of the combo if you like. Usually you have to go to a much more "upscale" brand like Porsche to get that kind of flexibility!

Yes, it is a difficult wait from the time you place your order to when the car arrives... but what makes the wait all the more worthwhile is that it's your MINI, not a MINI that someone else specced out and you picked out of a lineup. That's not to say that many of our members who bought off their lot don't feel a total, complete connection of their wonderful cars. Many of them have also done additional modifications (mods) to further "youify" their MINI to be even more unique and special. I'm just pointing out that it's a big decision so if you have some flexibility of time, why rush yourself?

Another tip - should you end up deciding to order your own - the way-cool MINI configurator on the MINIUSA.com website has a myriad of options, of course... and you can really "go to town" with them if you like.

BUT

I highly suggest you completely ignore steps 5 & 6 of the configurator, and focus 100% of your attention on steps 1-4. Why? Simply because steps 5 and 6 represent "dealer-installed" options, which often also include additional labor charges... and steps 1-4 are "factory" options.

You only get one shot at choosing your factory options, but the dealer will always be there if you want to add any of the steps 5 & 6 options at at a later date. You're better off concentrating your MINI budget on the factory options that not only avoid labor charges, but many of which are simply not available after the car is built (i.e. factory only!). You'd hate to pass up a factory option you kinda like for a dealer option, and later realize there's nothing you can do about getting it, right? (short of replacing the whole MINI).

Just food for thought. :)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Caroline found me too. She was jsut sitting on the dealer lot looking very very lonely. Now she has a new home, loves backroads, hates I-270 traffic and wants a single thick stripe all the way down her left had side. I think she thinks it's like getting a tatto...

Err... back on topic - I would be almost 100% certain that if you want to order a MINI in June you will be able to order a MINI in June. There's no way any dealer or manufacturer is going to cut off orders for a whole month, so don't panic, it just doesn't make business sense. Smells a lot like it came from a cows behind to me.

That brings me to my next point. That guy is clearly to high pressure for you and therefore is making you feel uncomfortable, so find another dealer or another MA. MoS is a little slow sometimes but Lisa there was great and very low pressure when she helped me out.

Let us know how the hunt goes!!

How long ago did you purchase from MoS?

I was checking their website and didn't see Lisa listed.

I was going to have a friend of a friend sell me a MINI, she worked in a Philadelphia mini dealership.

But in PA they don't offer the MINI Select program.

I'm still thinking of purchasing from the pushy MA at Alexandria, because really it's not a bad deal. I just don't want to be shoved into it.

Ok, so it was suggested that I come and join this forum and pose my question.

First off I want a MINI very badly. I posted my dilemma on NAM http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/coupe-talk-2007/190041-at-what-point-should-i-give-up.html#post3061367

That is the link to it, and I would appreciate any help that I could get.

For those that don't feel like reading it there, the short story is: I went to Passport of Alexandria to test drive a MINI, I told my MA that I did not want to buy that day at all. But I was VERY serious about getting a MINI so I would be back some other time when I was more ready. MY MA then proceeds to get his GM and they tell me that if I wanted to order a 2010 MINI I would HAVE to do it by the end of May, because once June hits they stop taking orders for 2010's and do inventory, then around July they can start taking orders for 2011's. So I "have" to order my MINI today if I want my dark silver automatic MINI cooper s with black wheels.

So I guess my question is if this is just a ploy to get me to buy NOW, and if anyone has any advice about maybe another dealer/MA I should talk to in the area. Anyone you may have had good dealings with.

If you read my thread on NAM, you can see what my situation is exactly.

Thanks a lot for any help that any of you may be able to give me. I very much look forward to motoring as soon as possible!( but not sooner than I'm ready for!:tongue:

They ARE car salespeople after all, and work more for commissions rather than salary. Sounds like a ploy to me.

Take your time, get your financial ducks in a row...make sure you can afford the car, insurance, etc....

zugzug, I love the look of your MINI.:top:

I have always wanted a red car, but for a MINI I don't want to draw extra attention to myself on my long drives from either, VA to Ohio, or for when I move to NC to ohio.

Besides I've got a great name for a dark silver one, whenever I end up getting it. Also, with dark silver, with black roof, black mirrors, black stripes, and black tires, I will be able to flit from shadow to shadow quite heroically!:motor:

My advice would be to shop out of state. Not sure if it's lack of competition or something in the air, but from my experience both NoVA dealers wanted unreasonable $$, not to mention all their crap about "you HAVE to buy today cause whatever".

well, it looks like my dream of having a MINI are on hold for however long. :( :(

I was going to get one, I REALLY wanted to do the MINI select financing because of the low payments. I REALLY don't want to have $400+ car payment. So I was ok with paying longer and more in the end.

But they ran my credit app and and they said I wasn't good enough.

The thing is, I have very good credit. (I signed up for a Identity guard credit thing) I just don't think I have enough credit. :(

I am so sad, I am in the depths of despair.

I've never had any kind of loan before. I was always done under my dad's name when I was in High school and I drove that car till it died.

I am heartbroken. I thought yesterday was going to be a good day too.

I know it will all probably work out in the end, but I am so disappointed right now.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Before you give up you could look at a used MINI. They're just as fun and could be more affordable for you. That's what I did to get Tigger, but now I know when it's time for my next one I'll be able to afford a newer one. Could be better then no MINI at all.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

:top:

Before you give up you could look at a used MINI. They're just as fun and could be more affordable for you. That's what I did to get Tigger, but now I know when it's time for my next one I'll be able to afford a newer one. Could be better then no MINI at all.

Ali

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

It seems like used MINIs are still fairly expensive unless they have high mileage. So who knows if I could even get approved for one of those. I am going to keep looking around though.

I really just want to have a reliable car because I will be making 12 hours drives by myself.

I will keep you updated though. My dream isn't dead, but it is, I fear, put off for quite awhile.

We will see.

well, it looks like my dream of having a MINI are on hold for however long. :( :(

I was going to get one, I REALLY wanted to do the MINI select financing because of the low payments. I REALLY don't want to have $400+ car payment. So I was ok with paying longer and more in the end.

But they ran my credit app and and they said I wasn't good enough.

The thing is, I have very good credit. (I signed up for a Identity guard credit thing) I just don't think I have enough credit. :(

I am so sad, I am in the depths of despair.

I've never had any kind of loan before. I was always done under my dad's name when I was in High school and I drove that car till it died.

I am heartbroken. I thought yesterday was going to be a good day too.

I know it will all probably work out in the end, but I am so disappointed right now.

Thanks for all your help guys.

see if you can get a low rate credit card, use it for 6 months to a year, paying it off completely each month. That might help you establish credit...

So, I ordered my MINI today.

First I did the credit application, with my husband as a co-signer. I was.. denied. I was heartbroken, literally in the depths of despair. I tried to take it as I wasn't meant for one yet, that God had a better plan down the road.( still super depressed though)

Well, a day later I get a call from Jeanan, the financial manager at MINI of Alexandria, such a helpful nice woman. She told me the reason I was denied wasn't because of my credit. (I checked once I was denied, and found I have pretty darn good credit) But it was because we weren't making enough money. As I am on the phone with her, my husband tells me that I had wrote down the incorrect amount that he makes(but didn't bother to change it himself!!) since I am fairly new to the military life, a whole bunch of money is added AFTER taxes. And I was using our taxes to fill out the form.

So once we got that squared away, I was more than able to be approved!

So in 6-8 weeks I will be the proud owner of a 2010 Dark Silver MINI cooper S!

Awesome, congratulations! :top:

I still recommend you take my advice when speccing out your MINI and focusing on steps 1-4 of the configurator. :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Awesome, congratulations! :top:

I still recommend you take my advice when speccing out your MINI and focusing on steps 1-4 of the configurator. :biggrin:

Oh I definitely did, I only got the stone guards, mud flaps, and floor mats( I know I could have got them cheaper somewhere else, but I am a major procrastinator, to the point of sometimes not doing things)

Before I went to the dealership the first time, I was all about getting checkered mirror caps, rear-view mirror cap, and checkered everything. But, after seeing it in person I didn't like it as much.

pretty soon..soonish I guess this-->:motor:will be mee!!!!