Edge

Curious question for 2nd Gen owners

So... this week I have been driving a loaner while some maintenance is being done on my MINI at PMoA. They gave me a 2015 Cooper Countryman (i.e. "Justa").

While driving the Countryman this week, I noticed something that has disturbed me a bit, and I don't recall it happening on other 2nd Gens I've driven. When I'm stopped at traffic lights, or driving behind a smokey vehicle (especially diesels), I generally like to put the climate control on "Recirculation" mode, so that none of the polluted outside air gets blown in my face. I was a mild asthmatic growing up so I'm extra sensitive to exhaust fumes.

In any case, I have noticed that when I put it in Recirc mode... within 5 minutes it turns off automatically. Very annoying. When I put it in Recirc mode, I want it to stay in Recirc mode until I decide to put it back into Fresh air mode!

Does this happen on anyone else's 2nd Gen MINI?

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Yes, I've had that happen in my 2009 S. Stopped at a light and sometimes car fumes get sucked in. I shut it off; roll down the windows to clear the air; then hit recirculate. Everything is fine until it happens again at another stop light. I realize that the recirculate has stopped. I haven't been motivated enough to look into getting it to stay on recirculate so haven't found a solution. It doesn't bother me until the next time when I think why didn't I look into this the last time!

I've heard of a 15 minute timer, but I wouldn't be surprised it's less than that.

I would posit a guess that it's due to 1 of 2 reasons:

1. Constantly recirculating air could dry out the air in the cabin, causing nosebleeds and/or other issues.

2. The moisture taken out of the air is trapped in the filter and could cause mold / bacteria to grow, and fresh air helps alleviate this potential health hazard.

Purely speculation on my part.

Having just bought my 2007 Mini, I recently enjoyed a quiet evening reading through the owners manual. Somewhere in the climate control section it stated that when the system is in re-circ that the computer would introduce fresh air at certain intervals.

Coming from an older car I find it astounding how much electronic wizardry there is inside and how much the computer controls.

2007 Cooper S - Chili Red - White Roof

Interesting the differences that people have with their 2nd Gens on this. This evening I paid a little more attention and here are a couple more facts on what is happening in this Countryman:

* I always run the climate control in "Auto" mode. I like setting the temperature and letting the car figure out what fan speed, etc. is needed. I've had my R53 for almost 10 years with the Automatic climate control and so I'm used to it there (and love it).

* I did a whole bunch of timed tests this evening - never mind 5 minutes, it always turns off the Recirc after 1 minute - exactly. Every single time. Doesn't matter if I am on the highway, in stop-and-go traffic, waiting a traffic light or parked with the transmission in Park and the handbrake on. 1 minute, every single time.

I'm glad this is not my car, this would drive me nuts! Thankfully my MINI is ready and I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning. :)

Edited by Edge
Spelling correction

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Hmm Craig - you might be onto something... but 1 minute seems a ridiculous cutoff!

I returned the loaner and picked up Mr. OEM this morning, but before I did, I tried it one more time with the Auto mode off... didn't make a difference, still a 60 second timer before Recirc was off again. :stupid:

Both in Coco ('14 S Clubman) and in a '14 Countryman loaner I had this week, the recirculation turns off after about 3-5 minutes when it's cold (30's F) outside.

I'm guessing the "feature" is because in cold weather, having the system on recirc can cause the interior windows to fog.

However, the thing is so darn slow to warm up compared to my Subaru, that I keep punching it back on, praying that I don't die of hypothermia first....

Both in Coco ('14 S Clubman) and in a '14 Countryman loaner I had this week, the recirculation turns off after about 3-5 minutes when it's cold (30's F) outside.

I'm guessing the "feature" is because in cold weather, having the system on recirc can cause the interior windows to fog.

However, the thing is so darn slow to warm up compared to my Subaru, that I keep punching it back on, praying that I don't die of hypothermia first....

Braddlee (and SneakyBaron) may be on to something here. Played with the recirc function yesterday and as soon as I turned it on my windows began to fog up. So, naturally, I turned it off and flipped on defrost.

I haven't been able to test timing because every time I have tried to use the recirc function, it hasn't been good for my visibility.

Curious to try it in the summer time (or at least when the temps warm up) to see what happens.

Grey Goose: 2016 F56 Moonwalk Grey JCW - TTFS/GTPeace Custom Stage 1 (Present)
Shadow: 2011 R56 HT MB/MB - MANIC Stage 1 (Past)

Braddlee (and SneakyBaron) may be on to something here. Played with the recirc function yesterday and as soon as I turned it on my windows began to fog up. So, naturally, I turned it off and flipped on defrost.

I haven't been able to test timing because every time I have tried to use the recirc function, it hasn't been good for my visibility.

Curious to try it in the summer time (or at least when the temps warm up) to see what happens.

I think if you use recirc with the AC it won't fog your windows. You also don't get cold as long as the temp is set warm enough

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg