1975_mini

Time to look as good as He runs

Since purchasing Watson he has looked great on the outside, but under the hood is an eye sore. Mechanically everything runs great,, but the engine has years of grime, and the former owner make a poor attempt of coating the engine bay.

So I am pulling the engine to give it a good cleaning and replace a few worn gaskets. The big effort will be stripping the bay and cleaning up some backyard wiring. I will also be replacing bushing through out the front end as the all look to be 35 years old.

Hopefully I have him back on the road sooner rather than later. Here is a photo of him doing his best Maynard impression. I'll toss update on here as I go.

IMG_00000052_zpsc1fbd1bb.jpg

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

awesome dude! throw a hayabusa motor in there!

Those are pretty cool, but kind of like having a actual a-series motor when you lift the hood. I did pick up a 1098cc motor the other weekend, and spent the last two week breaking it down. basically a stroked version of the 1000cc motor he is currently running.

1975Mini001.jpg

I need to do the same thing with Nigel. The PO cut a large hole into the left inner wing where the radiator grille slats used to be. So at some point I would like to put a repair panel in - as well as clean up all the gunk and grime.

2006 MINI Cooper R50 'Austin': WMW CAI, Borla Exhaust, Sprint Booster, R81/Imola/Holies

1980 Austin Mini 'Nigel': 1293cc MORSPEED Stage 1 Engine, HiLo Suspension

Those are pretty cool, but kind of like having a actual a-series motor when you lift the hood. I did pick up a 1098cc motor the other weekend, and spent the last two week breaking it down. basically a stroked version of the 1000cc motor he is currently running.

I wish I was at that level where I could just buy a motor and break it down and install it! Mad props to you good sir! You should have an open garage day so noobs like me can watch and learn!

2009 MCS - Passenger seat delete--Rear seat delete--Arm rest delete--Cup holder delete--Seat Belt Delete--Cup holder added back because coffee

You are welcome to borrow the pressure washer that I have. It'll make quick work of most of the grime. Once he's back on the road, we'll have to get that photo shoot for you too!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I need to do the same thing with Nigel. The PO cut a large hole into the left inner wing where the radiator grille slats used to be. So at some point I would like to put a repair panel in - as well as clean up all the gunk and grime.

I know pulling mine is pretty simple like 6 wires, the heater hoses, the fuel line, and undo the motor mounts and out it comes. Yours is a little newer so might be a bit more involved.

I wish I was at that level where I could just buy a motor and break it down and install it! Mad props to you good sir! You should have an open garage day so noobs like me can watch and learn!

My level is not that high, old a series motors are pretty simple (no computers or fuel injection). My garage is not much, but always open for anyone that wants to stop in or need tools and a hand with something.

You are welcome to borrow the pressure washer that I have. It'll make quick work of most of the grime. Once he's back on the road, we'll have to get that photo shoot for you too!

I might have to take you up on the pressure washer, I still need to return your your brake compression cubes. I have been doing some scouting for a good spot, see if we can get one that bumps Ali's photo as my profile pic.

1975Mini001.jpg

I know pulling mine is pretty simple like 6 wires, the heater hoses, the fuel line, and undo the motor mounts and out it comes. Yours is a little newer so might be a bit more involved.

Sounds simple enough. Did you use an engine hoist? I've heard that two guys can lift the A series engine out of the car :wink:

2006 MINI Cooper R50 'Austin': WMW CAI, Borla Exhaust, Sprint Booster, R81/Imola/Holies

Sounds simple enough. Did you use an engine hoist? I've heard that two guys can lift the A series engine out of the car :wink:

I had a friend bring a hoist over. You could pick it up with two guys, but I would do that as a last resort. A buddy and I picked up and loaded the 1098cc I bought, but it was not in an engine bay. Lifting out of an engine bay is just ask to drop it damaging the engine or the car. You would pretty much be straight leg dead lifting it, and ask to hurt your back.

You might be able to put a jack under and push it up most of the way then lift out.

1975Mini001.jpg

Figured I should get some work done before the next artic freeze. I was able to get the engine full disconnected and ready to pull. So Brandy and I we were able to get all fuilds drained, the carburator, alternator, distributor, and starter removed. The gear selector diconnected, axels pulled from the differential, and all wires disconnected.

Once it decided to be above freezing (garage is not heater) we will removed to prelossened motor mounts and lift the engine.

Here is a link to the photobuck album, it is mostly kind of boring reference photos at the moment. http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/buckshot2191/library/Watson/Engine%20Refresh

DSCF2359_zpsd622e6aa.jpg

Gus decided he was helping too

DSCF2081_zps25adfea2.jpg

1975Mini001.jpg

My Gus is a beautiful baby, he makes George look so small. Did not realize how big English bulldogs were when I said I wanted one. But he is a great lap dog at 70 pounds LOL and he loves his MINI's, Possibly will bring him to the photo shoot in DC in Feb. Only issue is he gets in and does not want to get out. Corey said he put the rest of the pictures of him "helping" on that link.

I am proudly asking anyone who would like to help him the garage to come on over. I know a little about working on a car and don't mind helping when it is warm, Not a fan of doing it in a non heated garage when it is below 50 degrees. PLEASE come help him so I don't have to do it, LOL. I guess my main part will come with cleaning the parts since I am sure I can handle that. But between helping with the takedown of the bought engine and then unhooking everything with this one and getting it ready to come out, I am pretty much well beyond my helping. I think he needs some guy time LOL

http://www.dcmetrominis.org/forums/image.php?u=1132&type=sigpic&dateline=1367319111

Let me know when you decide to get back to work on Watson. I don't have a lot of experience, but can provide an extra set of hands. Plus, any hands-on time with a classic will only benefit Nigel later on :smile:.

Finally got my hands on a friends engine hoist, and wanted to get the engine out before traveling for business.

One rusted motor mount held me up for a few hours, but engine is officially out:rock:

A lot of cleaning ahead of me. Also need to decide whether to keep the engine block black. black is original for 998cc motors in mk IIIs. Depend if I keep the engine bay black or try to match it to the exterior paint.

Here is the link to the album, set filter to oldest fist and the pictures are in order

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/buckshot2191/library/Watson/Engine%20Refresh

Looking back I probably should have covered the fenders, got luck no dings.

DSCF2477_zpsd73d1eef.jpg

I found the original Red paint

DSCF2489_zps428b26db.jpg

1975Mini001.jpg

all the ulgy flaking rino lining gone, and repainted to match the body, also repainted the subframe black after this photo. the engine is painted as well and hopefully ready to go back in this weekend.:top:

DSCF2533_zpse452a71b.jpg

1975Mini001.jpg

Engine is ready to go after a refresh: degreased, repainted, new hoses, belt, and gaskets. Also a shiney new 11 blade fan that has all blades, the old one had 10 and a numb.

Hope to drop back in this weekend, and have him running again next week.

DSCF2546_zpsd1d9a121.jpg

DSCF2544_zpse2f8becf.jpg

1975Mini001.jpg

That looks really, really nice!

Thanks, Craig

Awesome! Can't wait to see him in person! When he is ready to go, you should head to Katie's Cars and Coffee. There is usually handful of classics there.

Thanks, Tyler. I have been wanting to check out cars and coffee, but its an hour drive for me and I have not made the commitment to getting up that early. Definitely going to need coffee to gt there.

1975Mini001.jpg

Thanks, Craig

Thanks, Tyler. I have been wanting to check out cars and coffee, but its an hour drive for me and I have not made the commitment to getting up that early. Definitely going to need coffee to gt there.

Well message me when Watson is ready to go and as long as it isn't an autox weekend I will meet you there. It's about 45mins for me.

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Great job on the engine bay and engine. What a difference!

You should definitely come to Katies Cars and Coffee sometime. I took Nigel for the first time last week and had a lot of fun. The classics definitely get a lot of interest!