zsm

Best Driving Roads in DC Area?

Hey everyone.

I'm semi-new to the area and one thing about DC that really gets on my nerves is all the cars and all the bad city roads.

So, the question is, what and where are the best driving roads within a day of DC (450-mi r/t)? When I say 'driving road' I'm thinking along the lines of CO mtn roads and the Dragon (curves, acceleration, and braking), away from the DC traffic.

Who knows, maybe this list gets good enough to become a sticky. Thanks.

Lime Kiln Road & Snickersville Turnpike in Middleburg, VA is lots of fun. :top: (they're both on the DCMM Spring Fling run)

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

+2 for Snickersville Turnpike; and i'll add one, Blueridge Mountain Road. From my house i like heading out Rt. 50 West to Snickersville Turnpike, going all the way up and turning left on Rt. 7 West and taking the first left again on Blueridge Mountain Road; run that down and at the end making a u-turn and coming back up.

'03 JB MCS- SOLD: JCW front bumper, intake, exhaust, brakes, CF dash, 15% pulley, Multifunction Steering Wheel retrofit, Euro white taillights, Factory Driving Lights, Wyvern Motorsports Rear Seat Delete, and more....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, Blueridge Mountain Road is on the Spring Fling run too. :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I drive Kirby road to/from work every day and as long as some mini-van or utility truck isn't in front of me, it's so much fun! There's also Pope's Head road between 123 and Clifton road but there's a brief stop at Fairfax County Parkway for the light. Once you are on Clifton, there's not of places to explore in that area.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

When I get out past Leesburg, the sound of banjo's gets rather distracting though! It makes me nervous and I keep thinking I'm gonna come across some of my long lost relatives!

Lots of good suggestions here though. Someone should consolidate all of this into a list!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Actually if you're talking 450mi round trip. . .the ridgeline drive through shenendoah park is one of the most beautiful I've seen in the area. Beautiful and twisty. . .but it is a natl forest.

Also out by harper's ferry there were some pretty amazing roads. . .harper's ferry is a pretty fun tourist destination as well. Neat history.

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just did skyline drive this past weekend for the first time...105 miles of twists and turns...only bummer was the 35 mph speed limit with some 25 mph thrown in. Guess the argument for that could be that it lets you enjoy the sights more :-)

Just dont look them in their "tooth" and you will be fine :hahaha:

When I get out past Leesburg, the sound of banjo's gets rather distracting though! It makes me nervous and I keep thinking I'm gonna come across some of my long lost relatives!

Lots of good suggestions here though. Someone should consolidate all of this into a list!

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

Years ago, we started planning a run in the clifton area but it got scrapped, the development and resulting traffic was outpacing us!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com