JAB 67

Need suggestions re: A/C

2004 MCS, 125K. a/c is anemic, and I have exhausted my diagnostic skills in trying to figure out why. MachV doesn't do a/c work; any suggestions? Hesitant to take it to the dealer. TIA.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

My A/C went out last summer on my 04 R50. What are your symptoms. Also I went to Sterling Import Auto Services and he determined it was a blown line. Fixed and recharged for a 1/4 of what the dealership wanted.

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

Someone with a little more experience may want to chime in but that makes me think it's either a leak in the system (have you checked the pressure?) or the compressor isn't working right (worn seals, etc). My AC was giving me problems a few months ago and it wasn't until I got one of those $40 recharge kits that I discovered the condenser leak. :frown:

Sounds like this is the problem I had. Its hard to look at but there is a line that goes from the condensor to the firewall. The whole hose is metal except for about 6 inches. The rubber portion was the failure point on mine as it was rubbing a part of metal on the car which eventually made the hose fail and leak out all my coolant.

[sIGPIC]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/500/nh21003.jpg[/sIGPIC]

2004 MC JB/W CVT DSC H/K R50 "Operation De-Chrome" 90% Complete

Thanks for the various suggestions, but my understanding is that if the refrigerant had leaked out, such as through a ruptured hose, the pressure sensor would prevent the compressor from engaging. As my compressor does engage, I don't think the problem is low or missing refrigerant.

I'm still looking for a shop that has experience with Mini a/c but is trustworthy and charges less than the dealers.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

If it were me I'd go buy a recharge can with gauge and hook it up and see. It might be something simple like it's just low on charge... (yes, I know that won't fix a problem, but it's a start to see what pressure you do have...) Besides, it's only about $20...

No matter where you go, there you are!

Did you check to see if the fan is kicking into high speed? I just had my system gone over and the mechanic said that there's a low and high setting. . .

Also. . .is the air blowing out the vent as hard as it should? Might there be an obstruction in the airpath? (Not likely but worth a look.)

Alice Cooper - Hyper Blue R53 with a few light mods

???? - Montego Blue 335xi with even lighter mods

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]