Jasen Hicks

Stopping in to say hello!

I'm arranging the Dragon Back trip for 5 July. I am going to get up early and drive out that way... stay the night and do some National Park Visiting the next day. Apparently, it's pretty beautiful out that way. Plus a couple hundred bucks in food, gas, and lodging is worth it.

Everyone is invited to drive out if they want to come... I mean seriously, whats a better way to celebrate freedom and democracy from the UK than driving our English Born cars?

hmm....very tempting, let me get back to you one this...

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I'm arranging the Dragon Back trip for 5 July. I am going to get up early and drive out that way... stay the night and do some National Park Visiting the next day. Apparently, it's pretty beautiful out that way. Plus a couple hundred bucks in food, gas, and lodging is worth it.

Everyone is invited to drive out if they want to come... I mean seriously, whats a better way to celebrate freedom and democracy from the UK than driving our English Born cars?

I have a hard time saying no to awesome ideas!

Jasen, what time would you want to leave on the 5th? For me, the earlier the better. I think my S2000 friend may be interested as well. I'm going to talk to the boss about taking leave on the following Monday, but it's not a deal breaker if I can't.

8110091651_5f23053877_z.jpg

8110087084_23b0220893_z.jpg

Jasen, what time would you want to leave on the 5th? For me, the earlier the better. I think my S2000 friend may be interested as well. I'm going to talk to the boss about taking leave on the following Monday, but it's not a deal breaker if I can't.

8110091651_5f23053877_z.jpg

8110087084_23b0220893_z.jpg

This is a bad thread bc it makes me want to go back to the dragon when I know I can't. Everyone's productivity is now going to go down thinking of motd. Thanks you guys lol

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

I think I'd want to meet up no earlier than 8:30.

Apparently this has morphed into a thing now! Awesome. I'll do some detailed planning this week and post "an agenda" or something.

Since you're a member you can start a new thread in the event planning and feelers thread.

You do know it's about 550 miles each way, so you probably want to get as early a start as possible. Wish I could go :top:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Since you're a member you can start a new thread in the event planning and feelers thread.

You do know it's about 550 miles each way, so you probably want to get as early a start as possible. Wish I could go :top:

No ma'am, only 327 miles from Arlington!

I'm looking up accomodations right now, depending on the number of people and their flexability, this trip can be done on the very cheap! For example....

http://hungrymothercabins.com/beaver-trail-retreat/

(Cliffs: 3 bedroom cabin, 2nights, 1 mile of RT 16 $240!!) $240 / 4 ppl = $60!!

but also there are ALOT of hotels nearby also.

I'm looking up accomodations right now, depending on the number of people and their flexability, this trip can be done on the very cheap! For example....

http://hungrymothercabins.com/beaver-trail-retreat/

(Cliffs: 3 bedroom cabin, 2nights, 1 mile of RT 16 $240!!) $240 / 4 ppl = $60!!

but also there are ALOT of hotels nearby also.

That's actually REALLY cheap. I think it would be a pretty solid, fun trip over all!!

I'm flexible. I have been looking at some of the hotels in that area, to see how they match up with location to BOTD. I am still not sure if the wife is going to go. If so, I may have to spring for something a little more "upscale"... she's not as easy going as the guy who sleeps on a 5.5' x 2' bed aboard a submarine for six months at a time.

I find it funny that the Back of the Dragon website tries to poke fun at the Tail of the Dragon with the phrase "eleven... try thirty-two", implying somehow that Route 16 is better simply because it's longer.

Hmm, let's do the math, shall we?

Back of the Dragon (VA-16)

Curves: 260

Length: 32 miles

"Curviness": 8.125 curves per mile (average)

Tail of the Dragon (US-129)

Curves: 318

Length: 11.1 miles

"Curviness": 28.65 curves per mile (average)

Ummm... yeah. Not even close - with 20 extra curves per mile on average! That being said, I still want to check out Route 16 sometime! :biggrin: Doubt I can make this trip though - logistics. :frown:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I find it funny that the Back of the Dragon website tries to poke fun at the Tail of the Dragon with the phrase "eleven... try thirty-two", implying somehow that Route 16 is better simply because it's longer.

Hmm, let's do the math, shall we?

Back of the Dragon (VA-16)

Curves: 260

Length: 32 miles

"Curviness": 8.125 curves per mile (average)

Tail of the Dragon (US-129)

Curves: 318

Length: 11.1 miles

"Curviness": 28.65 curves per mile (average)

Ummm... yeah. Not even close - with 20 extra curves per mile on average! That being said, I still want to check out Route 16 sometime! :biggrin: Doubt I can make this trip though - logistics. :frown:

:boring:

Wife is probably out, so I will plot everything out and weigh some options and thoughs. Should have something by tomorrow assuming El Derecho doesn't destroy my house! :rofl:

Ok, so here's what I have worked out in my little bubble:

1. Take off from Falls Church at 0830. I think meeting up in the iHop parking lot off of 50 and Annandale would work.

2. Drive for about 3.5 hours and stop for lunch somewhere quick... maybe in Radford or something.

3. Arrive in Marion ~6 hours after depart, 1430.

4. We can check in to a hotel, I am thinking the General Franklin, http://gfmhotel.com/blackrooster/, it's $99 a night. Frankly, I will have just met most of you... you might be creepy. :biggrin: Plus it seems like its a decent place in a populated area so finding a place to grab a drink after we put the kids to bed (... the cars.. not actual kids...) should be easy.

5. Make the Drive up to Tazwell along the Back of the Dragon. It's supposedly an hour.

6. Dinner in Tazwell. Choices are very limited... seems back-woods VA isn't the hip dineout area like DC. Yelp says this place is good? I'm throwing out some ideas. This is literally the most planning I have ever done for a personal trip! http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-mariachi-restaurant-north-tazewell

7. Sunset cruise back to Marion for some drinks and sleep.

8. Leave in the AM. I might hit up some of the National Parks for photo ops of nature... not sure yet.

Ok, so here's what I have worked out in my little bubble:

1. Take off from Falls Church at 0830. I think meeting up in the iHop parking lot off of 50 and Annandale would work.

2. Drive for about 3.5 hours and stop for lunch somewhere quick... maybe in Radford or something.

3. Arrive in Marion ~6 hours after depart, 1430.

4. We can check in to a hotel, I am thinking the General Franklin, http://gfmhotel.com/blackrooster/, it's $99 a night. Frankly, I will have just met most of you... you might be creepy. :biggrin: Plus it seems like its a decent place in a populated area so finding a place to grab a drink after we put the kids to bed (... the cars.. not actual kids...) should be easy.

5. Make the Drive up to Tazwell along the Back of the Dragon. It's supposedly an hour.

6. Dinner in Tazwell. Choices are very limited... seems back-woods VA isn't the hip dineout area like DC. Yelp says this place is good? I'm throwing out some ideas. This is literally the most planning I have ever done for a personal trip! http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-mariachi-restaurant-north-tazewell

7. Sunset cruise back to Marion for some drinks and sleep.

8. Leave in the AM. I might hit up some of the National Parks for photo ops of nature... not sure yet.

Works for me, though I may stay an extra day. My friend Duane (red s2000) is coming and has two more friends that are interested (turbo jetta and mustang) not sure if they are 100% though.