cmcveay

Dragon Safety - VERY IMPORTANT!

A couple of words for our first time "Dragon Slayers" and please don't let this dampen your enthusiasm but as much as we enjoy having fun on the twisties, there comes a time for a little reality.

For all of the first time Dragon drivers (and passengers), it is highly encouraged that you attend one of the presentations on Dragon safety before you take off across the Hell Bender and go drive the Dragon. Unless you have points on your driving record to spare, lots of amnesty from your insurance company and money burning a hole in your pocket, please remember the thing you'll hear most often - Stay on your side...

The TN State troopers that patrol the Dragon do not have a sense of humor - it was surgically removed at birth - and they will stop you and write you a big fat ticket for many things. One of their favorites is for touching/crossing the yellow lane dividing line and that's why the shirts all say "Stay on your side". Crossing the yellow line puts you into oncoming traffic and if the bozo coming the other way is doing the same thing, it's a full on head-on in the making. If it's a sport bike... Well, you can imagine the results.

If you don't want to attend one of the many offerings for the newbies and 11 tips for surviving the dragon presentation - do yourself and other drivers on the road a huge favor - take the first couple of trips at a very safe speed and work into it as you get used to the roads and turns.

Edited by cmcveay
updated after a new thread was created

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Craig is dead on right. :congrats: :rock: :top:

Last year there was a woman that passed in a blind corner and Kilboy the photographer was coming in the other direction. He knows the road well and was able to avoid her. It became a huge deal on all of the forums as it should have been. Imagine when I heard it was a Hot Orange MINI with flames and a Dragon (whew). I call it Tigger's evil twin. I know I would never ever pass on the dragon, but I'd hate for anyone to even think I did. Shoot I'm almost too wimpy to pass on a straight road if I don't have my own lane.

Just don't pass anyone. If someone is going too slow, won't pull over to let you pass and annoying you, find a place to pull over and let them get way ahead of you. Then you can enjoy the road and be safe. Mark and I had a Dragon run last year where we had to pull over like 3 times to let the big fat Caddie gain some ground on us before we would catch up again.

Also Saturday mid day is the worst possible time to hit the Dragon. It's a total traffic jam and last year I counted like 5 cops on the road. Get out there early morning on Sat or right before dusk when the crowds have cleared.

It's a blast and a fun vacation, but with any motoring activities there are risks. With this many people, it's going to be insane.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Safety cannot be stressed enough. If you can't make a turn without crossing the double-yellow, then you're driving too fast.

There is some really good information on the MINIs on the Dragon site.

Driving the Dragon

Also, don't let the Hellbender (28) fool you. It's got a much higher speed limit than the Dragon, but you need to be just as careful. There is at least one accident every year (not always a MINI) because someone got careless.

Edited by GreenCactus
Added info

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Safety cannot be stressed enough. If you can't make a turn without crossing the double-yellow, then you're driving too fast.

There is some really good information on the MINIs on the Dragon site.

Driving the Dragon

Also, don't let the Hellbender (28) fool you. It's got a much higher speed limit than the Dragon, but you need to be just as careful. There is at least one accident every year (not always a MINI) because someone got careless.

What always gets me on Hellbender is that the swooping turns are so fun, then suddenly there's a 10mph turn and it's sharp. So you really have to watch that one way more then the Dragon. It will sneak up on you

Tggrrr010.jpg

AMEN to all the previous posts!! It is of VITAL IMPORTANCE that all newbies attend a "How To Drive the Dragon" seminar. I would love to see all DCMM newbies go to a seminar.

I'm going to be blunt and if it scares you, all the better.

The Dragon can kill you if you're not extremely careful. It claims lives every year. Nearly every one of the 318 curves is totally blind, with a precipitous, tree lined cliff on one side and a solid rock wall on the other. There are very few guard rails. There are sport bikers and car drivers who are so hopped up on adrenaline and testosterone that they throw caution, and their own mortality, out the window.

Driven within safe and speed limits, the Dragon is a total blast..a ride you'll never forget. You will enhance your experience immensely by attending one of the seminars.

Ok, I'll stop lecturing now. :X

I also agree with everything said above. The Dragon is no joke, there are LOTS of blind corners, and some vehicles, especially sport bikes, can show up so quickly... you need to be darn sure you stay on your side of the double yellow!

Bottom line - if you aren't comfortable taking the corner and not crossing the double yellow... then you are driving beyond your limit and you need to slow down. It's not a race, it's not an opportunity to show off, and everyone needs to get home safe. If you're worried that you're slowing down the vehicle behind you, don't. Just go at your own pace until you come to a shoulder pull-off (there are some dispersed along the road), then pull over to let them pass.

REAL drivers don't cut corners!
:motor: (
especially in a MINI!)

...and, to repeat some good ones that our own Coop(eration) came up with:

• DON'T BE A PASS ASS
  • BACK OFF SPEEDRACER
  • DRIVE FRIENDLY and WITHIN THE LINES
  • DON'T BE THAT IDIOT
  • DO NOT CROSS YELLOW LINES - BLIND TURNS KILL
  • BE ALERT FOR SLOWER TRAFFIC
  • NO PASSING // BLIND CURVE AHEAD

...although they looked much cooler on the bumper stickers he designed. :angel:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

That's great Laura! Yes, even a tire's width of line crossing is dangerous.

I forgot to mention that the area is packed with wildlife...bears (!), boar, deer, turkeys, porcupine, snakes, possum, etc. This is their habitat we're driving through, so be aware of animals crossing roads, especially at night. They're not so prevalent in and around Fontana, despite what Laura may tell you.:wink:

Another thing to be on top of is making left hand turns into Fontana from Hellbender. Last year, someone was T-boned by another driver, turning left into the main drive leading to the lodge. Please make sure that there's no oncoming traffic before you make the turn!

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is the importance of paying attention to the road.

If you're a driver, you don't get to take pictures, look at the flowers, wave at the bears, etc. Your eyes need to be on the road at all times. A lot of times, other drivers will signal if there's something you need to watch out for. It might be that there's a cop, but it might be that a large vehicle is coming through or there's been an accident.

It gets intense and it's ok to pull over if you need to.

Also, if you're arriving via the Dragon, make sure the stuff in your car is secure. You don't want suitcases, coolers, food or pets falling on you.

Have we sufficiently scared all of the first-timers, yet? :wink:

It amazes me people go to one of the twistiest roads in the US and cut all the corners trying to make it straight!

One of the things that worries me more than cutting corners are drivers that drive beyond their limit. Like the previous posts, it isn't a race and it isn't a show off session. It's a fun road to be enjoyed. Unlike an autocross, where hazardous situations are taken into account, this is real life. Trust me, you won't have a little incident on the Dragon. It's gonna be BIG and probably painful. If not physically, surely financially. PLUS everybody will know who you are and what you did. Driving 10/10th in a controlled event is one thing. With all my years of racing Legends, and other oval track stuff as well as autocrossing, I still only drive the Dragon at 8/10ths.

I agree with a prior post, "Don't be that guy!"

Wow, I really touched a nerve! :)

A couple of things that I can say now that so many have commented. First, when you drive the Dragon, you represent the entire MINI/Mini community so please don't be "That Guy" or "That Girl" who puts everyone else in a bad light and secondly, we wear our DCMM clings and clothing with pride and it's visible to those who see us out there driving. Whether you drive at, under or over the speed limit, do so responsibly stay within your capabilities and be courteous to the other drivers on the road please.

As far as sight seeing? I've been a passenger on the Dragon twice - once with Ali driving and once with Lona driving and I actually enjoyed the scenery but Ali will tell you that I kept telling her "STOP WAVING AT OTHER DRIVER'S AND DRIVE DAMMIT, I'LL WAVE AT THEM"! After the 22nd or 28th time, she got it (okay, it was probably only the 2nd or 3rd time). Go be a passenger, enjoy the scenery, enjoy watching other drivers and learn as much as you can so you too can have as much fun.

As far as sight seeing? I've been a passenger on the Dragon twice - once with Ali driving and once with Lona driving and I actually enjoyed the scenery but Ali will tell you that I kept telling her "STOP WAVING AT OTHER DRIVER'S AND DRIVE DAMMIT, I'LL WAVE AT THEM"! After the 22nd or 28th time, she got it (okay, it was probably only the 2nd or 3rd time). Go be a passenger, enjoy the scenery, enjoy watching other drivers and learn as much as you can so you too can have as much fun.

He speaks the truth, I was just so happy that everyone waved. But I learned, two hands on the wheel, crank up the tunes and drive safely. I am usually the slow one in the group and I just don't care. I don't want to squeal my tires or hit the turns faster then I feel comfortable. I know that I'll catch up with everyone at the end and no one has ever made fun of me for it. Well not in a mean way :hahaha:

Tggrrr010.jpg

He speaks the truth, I was just so happy that everyone waved. But I learned, two hands on the wheel, crank up the tunes and drive safely. I am usually the slow one in the group and I just don't care. I don't want to squeal my tires or hit the turns faster then I feel comfortable. I know that I'll catch up with everyone at the end and no one has ever made fun of me for it. Well not in a mean way :hahaha:

Ali - I'm happy to drive it slowly with you. If I want to go fast, I'll ride with Haemish. :biggrin:

:motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor::motor:

Considering I needed to be rescued at the Spring Fling for not knowing who to properly check my oil, I think this is good information to share.

(I pulled this off of MA). http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/minis-dragon-10-may-2-6-2012-tn-nc/13037-pre-motd-mini-prep-checklist.html

Time for the annual occurrence of this checklist.

 Oil – Close to 5K mark on current Oil? Go for an early change.

 Under Bonnet Check –Look for leaks, broken/worn engine mounts, worn plug wires

 Gearbox Oil – If near 2 years or 50K miles - Change

 Brakes – Check Rotors and Pads – Have at least 50% left

 Brake Fluid – If near 1 year or 25K miles – Change

 Coolant – MINI recommends every 4 years from build date for a change, every 2 years would not hurt.

 Tires – Tread level should be at least ½, check for uneven wear

 Wheels – Check Torque on lugs 83ft/lb 1st gen, 102ft/lb 2nd gen – Check often on site. See Chad at Detroit Tuned tent to use his torque wrench.

 Wipers – Replace blades if older – It could be quite wet at MOTD

 Lights – Check all lights to verify operation

 Battery – good condition, make sure is securely fastened

 Suspension – Check all bushings for wear, replace as needed

 Steering – Check for wear – replace anything questionable

 Exhaust – Secure with no leaks, check mounts

 Wheel Bearings – Check for excessive play

Running The Dragon even at the posted limit taxes all the systems on our MINIs. 311 Turns in rapid succession will find the weaknesses if not attended to ahead of time. Please be sure to check you braking system well.

Check list compiled with the assistance of Chad from Detroit Tuned.

Signature.JPG

That's a good list for the most part. The lubricant in the manual transmission is listed as a lifetime product and I belive I've read that there's not even a drain plug for it. For the auto's, I've read that it's a dealer service option only and they suggest that the fluid has a very long lifespan as well.

As far as the oil, Yep, a fresh oil change prior to the dragon is a good idea. As far as checking the oil, I'll just say again that you can't go wrong with checking it every couple of fill ups and while at the dragon, I check it each morning along with the level of other vital fluids.

For those who haven't been out to autocross, many of the things on the checklist above are tech/safety inspection items as well.

Did I mention it's only 10 days until Lona and I leave for the Dragon???? :)