GreenCactus

Time for a new battery?

Changing a battery on a Gen1 MINI varies depending on whether its an S or a Justa. Mine is an S, and it was very easy. I went with an OE battery from the dealer, although there are cheaper alternatives out there. And, our OE radios do not have a security code that needs to be reset, at least mine didn't.

JAB 67

Fairfax, VA

2004 MCS, PW/B

Changing the battery on the Gen 2 isn't too hard and no radio unlocks are needed. If done properly, you don't even lose your pre-sets!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I think I have a Bently manual at the house for the 2nd Gens. You are welcome to "borrow" it! :) Oh, wait, it's actually yours!

The secret which has worked for me? Start the car and let it run for a couple of minutes before turning it off and then immediately start the replacement process. The 2nd Gen power bus stays active for up to 30 minutes after the car is turned off. Raise the hood and remove the black cowl cover over the battery (two 13mm bolts) and you can then access the battery compartment. Remove the battery hold down (I think it's 10mm). Here's the part that can be tricky and it may not always work. Loosen the battery terminal lugs and have the new battery ready to go in. Pull the terminals off, remove the battery, set it down and put the new battery in place and put the terminals back on. I've pulled the termials and had them off for a little while and I didn't lose my presets on the radio. That's actually about the worst that would come from having the battery out for too long. One "Plus" is that having the battery out for too long is that the ECU will reset itself. Over time, the ECU in the car "learns" and it adjusts the way it handles things. With the reset, it forgets those things and it starts the learning process again. Some people have indicated improved performance by doing the ECU resets. There's no dyno proof that I know of so it's all anecdotal.

If you need a hand, I'd be glad to stop by with the aforementioned Bently manual and a tool bag or a chai tea if you just need someone to point and grunt.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Dont forget that all 2nd gen car should have the battery change regestered in the DME. This will reset the charging profile and will help keep your new battery stronger longer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]MCS GP. Long tube header, Schrick Cam, 180deg T-Stat, Alta JCW air filter,

I actually needed a new battery about a month ago to be honest. Lucy didn't even want to start a few times, I was upset. I will forewarn you, the cheapest places I found for a new battery were either Interstate battery for $115 and NTB for $132 with tax. I believe Cricket is an R56, right? If so, you don't need a reset code. My radio presets stayed fine, the only thing I needed to adjust was the date and time because it went all wonky on me in the first place since my battery wouldn't hold a charge. It's really simple to change the battery but we found that since it's in that funky plastic housing, in order to put the housing back on and make it look all pretty, it was easiest to take off the passenger side windshield wiper. Let me know if you need help and I can help you out! :)