TGGRRR (Ali)

Favorite mods for new members

At the run yesterday we had a few new members and we were all chatting about various mods. It got me thinking that when someone has a new MINI, what are the things they would really want to do.

The first thing Mark got for his new MINI was the light in site, it's not really a mod, but it is a must have. I don't know how I lived before it.

http://www.lightinsight.com/

The other thing I was thinking of is the chimex which I love for keeping the car from dinging because I have a heavy bag in the front seat and didn't engage the seat belt.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/Chimex-.html

These things are cheap and really useful to have.

What other things would be useful to mention to people that are just getting their MINIs?

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

My First Mod was Tint! Tinting BLURs windows gave her a new attitude.

I do have a special place in my heart for MINIs with White Tops and NO Tint. Think that combo deserves Clear Eyes.

Major Props to Carlos at Solar Solutions in Laurel, MD.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

For me the first things that felt like mods were factory installed or supplied and somewhat uncommon. The Aerokit and the limited slip differential.

As for mods like you mean, I'd say top notch non run flats and the 15% Pully on the performance side, and the Wet Okole seat covers for the appearance side. Ceramic brake pads a close second, as a APPEARANCE item. Not that you see the pads, but you sure see the effect!!!

I think the mods will depend upon what the owner wants out of the car, what their plans are for the car and what kind of budget they are working with.

Commuting, track, autocross - each has some overlap and each has some very specific things that you may or may not want to do.

My suggestion? Come out to a meet and greet or an event and meet other owners with the same generation MINI and see what they have done. I'm pretty sure all of will be glad to offer up a demo ride to show off the differences the mods make.

As for the Chimex and things like that. There is a FREE alternative... changing the code with NCSEXPERT turns off the passenger seatbelt gong and, like the chimex, there are no warranty implications. There, that just paid for the Light-N-Sight!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I think the mods will depend upon what the owner wants out of the car, what their plans are for the car and what kind of budget they are working with.

Commuting, track, autocross - each has some overlap and each has some very specific things that you may or may not want to do.

My suggestion? Come out to a meet and greet or an event and meet other owners with the same generation MINI and see what they have done. I'm pretty sure all of will be glad to offer up a demo ride to show off the differences the mods make.

As for the Chimex and things like that. There is a FREE alternative... changing the code with NCSEXPERT turns off the passenger seatbelt gong and, like the chimex, there are no warranty implications. There, that just paid for the Light-N-Sight!

I need that code change.

I do love my Light-N-Sight!!! it's so simple and saves so much aggravation

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Just ordered my Light-N-sight! How had I never seen those before??!

See what I mean? It's the little things that make life better!!!!

I mean I love the big cool mods, but these little things are such a joy. They make you happy when you can sit at a light and not crane your neck to see. :smile:

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

And for some of us, it doesn't matter how much you try, you simply can't see the light...

You already have the Chimex that you paid for.

And for some of us, it doesn't matter how much you try, you simply can't see the light...

You already have the Chimex that you paid for.

the Chimex is better then the beeping, but annoying when passengers get in and try to buckle up and I forget it's in there.

Tggrrr010.jpg

I just got the GP Intercooler, right now it's installed on my Dining room floor, I plan to move it to the MINI soon though. :laugh:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I love this!!! I was one of the new MINIs at the Yellow Ribbon Run and I am definitely ordering the Light in Sight! good call! I'm also working on my windows tinted =) I'm so small in my MINI i need all the help I can get from SUV headlights!!! lol Any other suggestions? what's the pulley everyone is talking about?

Please forgive our 1st generation brothers and sisters who run about screaming and praising the virtues of their almighty pulley as the "holy grail" of performance mods. The pulley they are talking about is an aftermarket pulley for their supercharger that spins the supercharger faster.

2nd gen "S" models are turbocharged so they don't have the mechanical connection like that.

As far as other mods, it really just depends upon what you want to get out of your car. MINIs are like a Harley and in almost all cases, if you can touch it, you can change it. Do you want more performance, better handling, better stopping, different looks, different functions? Hit me up via email or if you can make it out on Saturday, we can talk about different things. You can go off the deep end like I have or you can be conservative like.... um, like... Um.. Yeah, you can be the first member with conservative mods! :)

...or, you can keep it bone stock, which is tough to do in this mod crazy group. Keeping it bone stock is almost a mod all to itself!

If you're after large horsepower numbers, there are stickers that help.. J/K

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover

Alan @ opensource.com

actually, I just thought of another, this has been a big help to the first gen folks> Ian Cull Auto-Up Circuit. It allows one-touch operation for putting the windows up as well as a few other features that some people might like.

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com

...or, you can keep it bone stock, which is tough to do in this mod crazy group. Keeping it bone stock is almost a mod all to itself!

If you're after large horsepower numbers, there are stickers that help.. J/K

Alan, you've got a great point there! I've got those decals and stickers under the hood and they work! That Way Motorworks decal added a few HP and I'm CERTAIN that the RMW decal added at least 15% all by itself...

Good luck on keeping it as it rolled off the showroom floor though... I'm installing a new decal this evening when I get home from work. Mr. FEDEX brought me a brand new Defenders of Speed decal yesterday!

Edited by cmcveay

You said Brian, but you quoted me :laugh:

Brian, you've got a great point there! I've got those decals and stickers under the hood and they work! That Way Motorworks decal added a few HP and I'm CERTAIN that the RMW decal added at least 15% all by itself...

Good luck on keeping it as it rolled off the showroom floor though... I'm installing a new decal this evening when I get home from work. Mr. FEDEX brought me a brand new Defenders of Speed decal yesterday!

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

Alan @ opensource.com