TGGRRR (Ali)

Getting rid of ghosting

After the old bonnet stripes were removed from Tigger I had some ghosting where the paint is not faded where the stripes were.

I just finished washing and waxing with Prima's Epic, I used Craig's random orbital buffer and the car looks amazing, but the ghosting is still there. I think I need something grittier to get rid if it and maybe a professional.

What do you guys think? If I need a pro, who would you recommend?

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Not what I wanted to hear :frown:

When I had my Celica it was red and got really faded. I took it to a detailer and they compounded it so that the paint looked brighter and almost new. I figured I could do something like that again, but maybe the paint will never match back up. Or maybe I can just blur the edges a bit so the old stripes aren't so obvious.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Do u remember this stuff back in the day called Color Back? It was good 4 faded (especially red) paint? I dunno if it's still around, but it might help. Just my 2 cents ...

image.php?u=25&type=sigpic&dateline=1424

'scuuuuze me while I kiss the sky ~ Jimi

I was googling and found some site where a sign shop was talking about removing the ghosting after taking lettering off of a truck. They said I need a good polisher and not to use a compound. So I wrote Prima customer service and asked for a recommendation on a product.

If I can't get rid of them, maybe I can at least make it less obvious.

In the meantime, Tigger has an amazing shine from the Epic. My husband did his Silver 99 Acura and it looks amazing.

I must buy myself a random orbital buffer, I love power tools!

Tggrrr010.jpg

That's what my husband keeps telling me, but I have to at least try and see if I can make a difference. I spoke to the guy at Prima who told me to use the Prima finish and a white polish pad with the random orbital buffer.

The ghosting isn't really bad, I just want to see if I can minimize it.

What is the difference between paint oxidizing vs fading or is that the same thing?

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Well, my 30 years in the body business might help. What's happened is the color has been bleached out by the sun, even though it's clear coated. Kinda like the reason plants grow in a green house. The suns UV rays still affect the pigments in the paint, and with orange being a shade of red and reds not being super UV resistant, the color gets bleached out. Since the stripes hid the color from the sun, it didn't get bleached out like the non bonnet striped area, so basically it was still new color under there. I don't think you're gonna bring any color back to that area. More stripes might be the only answer short of a repaint. Though DuPont matches hot orange nicely.

As for the Celica, Toyota didn't clear coat their red until the late 90's, though they should have much earlier. They'd start out red then fade to a nice lipstick pick! But with no clear, you could buff through the fade and expose new paint and start all over again.

I was waiting for Dale to weigh in. Nothing like have a resident expert in the group my it out on the line...

Maybe Mike can work something into the flames to obscure it?

Dale - what do you know about the MINI emblems on the 2nd Gen cars? I think the rear is applied with adhesive tape, what about the front?

Tks,

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Make sure you find me and my Clubman Sunday and I'll have a look at TGGRR. Opinions and Answers are free. Correct answers are a bit more.

Craig, All the meblems on the MINI's are adhesive and easily removable. Just go slow and easy.

I would not "give it a try" until you have our resident pro (above) look at it, unless you are ready for a re-spray. As an ammature who has only painted a couple of cars, I can fully attest how easy it is to mess it up with a buffer. Oooo. I want one of those nifty little PorterCables.....

I like the craftsman that I loaned you. It was under $100 and uses the same batteries as my drill, sander, vacuum, jigsaw, skill saw and work light! That makes life a little easier.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold