millerd2

Engine Oil Service

MoS prices are high. Passport does the exact same oil change, and it's less than 1/2 what MoS charges.

Look up the guy with a Silk Green Justa, with probably over 500,000 miles on his car by now. He's followed the computer's recommendation for oil changes, for the entire time he's owned the car.

Remember, the computer is calculating time/miles between changes. You still have to top the oil off, as needed.

Try Mach V in Sterling. They're right at $100 or less, and they do top-notch work. :top:

-Jim

I have seen the oil change demonstrated on YouTube and it looks easy. 36mm to take the filter off and then some other size for the drain plug. YouTube even tells me how to reset the oil change reminder on the Mini.. Love YouTube for everything.

Ditto on everything that's been said, an oil change on the MINI is no more challenging that an oil change on most other cars. If you are still under warranty, I would highly recommend not resetting the oil change interval reminder or you'll never get to that "free" oil change from the dealer.

I'm an old school gearhead and I have a hard time accepting the increased life span of synthetic oil but there's enough proof out there that I'm willing to let the oil change go a little longer than I did with the old stuff. I sitll change it at about 5k.

Carman63 did bring up a VERY important point - one that many MINI owners miss. Please check your oil levels and keep it properly filled. It's not a defect or a "problem" because all cars with oil cooled/lubricated turbo's do this. MINI's "eat" oil and it's not a consistent rate of consumption between years or models. I would highly recommend checking your oil every 2-3 times you fill your tank or at least every 700-1,000 miles. If you drive the car harder, check more often. If you don't know how, just ask someone else in the club, we'll be glad to take a couple of minutes to show you.

Happy motoring!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Is this the kind of oil you recommend?

MINI MOTOR OIL FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 5W-30 QT

I found it for $9.95 on MINI Mania. Can you recommmend somewhere else to get it?

Get it from Passport. I think it's $6-7 quart. MINI Mania is one of the more expensive places for pretty much everything.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Thanks.

That is great info. on making sure that they don't reset the oil change indicator. Also, I have heard about them eating oil, because of the oil cooled turbo. All great stuff and very informative.

I used to change my own oil too. I really miss the old days with a timing light/gun and a screw driver. What I would give to have one of the original MINIs as a fun car. If only I had hit the Mega Millions.... :frown:

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Is this the kind of oil you recommend?

MINI MOTOR OIL FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 5W-30 QT

I found it for $9.95 on MINI Mania. Can you recommmend somewhere else to get it?

I actually use Castrol's full synthetic. It meets all of the manufacturers standards. Mobile One is also a good oil to use.

In the near future, I'll be looking for someone to do a "group buy" for oil filters and oil pan drain plug crush washers. The last time I did that, I think we got the filter, filter housing seal and the crush washers for about $6.00 each. I usually buy 4-5 for my own use when I do that and by ordering more, we can get a break on the price/shipping.

Remember, the manufacturer has sales incentive to promote minimal maintenance costs. The oil manufacturer has sales incentive to promote knowing their product and how long under average use the high-tech additives will last. Is why in general I split the difference.

The MINI was the first car I paid to have the oil changed in. Ever and I had my 1st car at 16 and will be 54 this month. I only did it because I wanted a personal base-line of where the computer said the car was at. That said, I can see the value of having the factory machine read the computer memory vs. the almost the same cost of doing it myself along with the oil change. The older I get, the picker I get about what I put my time into. Figure I am on the down-slope . . .

Ron

'08 Chili Red MCa R56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even your local Advance Auto Store has the Castrol Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 for around $9.25 per quarter, which is less expensive than Mini Mania.

Let me know about any future group buy for filters, crush washers, and anything else. I'm always up to saving a few bucks.

Just an FYI, if you don't already know and I don't know if this applies to everyone ( it should be everyone). I was going through the paperwork and documentation for Ernie and the oil change mileage has been changed back to 9K miles. I guess MINI has been listening.

Just an FYI, if you don't already know and I don't know if this applies to everyone ( it should be everyone). I was going through the paperwork and documentation for Ernie and the oil change mileage has been changed back to 9K miles. I guess MINI has been listening.

Does this apply to the maintenance warranty also?

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

This week I DIYed oil and filter changes on my MINI and on my Lexus. MINI (of Sterling) charges more than TWICE what Lexus charges for a filter.

Yep, I've noticed that Sterling's prices are higher on a lot of things. I called around on the extended maintenance plans and they were hundreds more than Passport (Alexandria and MoCo). For the same plan.

I have done my own oil changes for years on VWs, Jeeps, Toyotas, etc. and I'm not sure about the MINI vs. Lexus but I did see a trend that filters (oil and gas) for German autos are larger and more expense than the ones for Japanese cars. I just thought it was part of the German engineering and cleanliness thing. Is that the same for MINI and Lexus?

Reviving yet another thread :)

What kind of oil should I get for my '11 Clubman S? The manual says MINI's brand, Rockwell at PMoA told me to get Castrol Synthetic (really?). I saw TVRGeeks recommendation for Amsoil.

How should I check my oil, I've heard a couple of different things. (Along with changing the dipstick to a CravenSpeed one) one person said to run the car so that the oil gets warm and then let it sit for at least 5 mi so it can settle back in to I can get an accurate reading.

Reading this thread I should DIY the oil & filter more frequently than every 15K? So every 7,500 (that's what my Outback was) or every 5K (that's what my Integra was)? Sears has a Universal filter wrench on sale right now for $7. Should I run, not walk to get one now? AM I buying MINI's filters?

If I install a Fumoto Qwick Valve will that "void my warranty" with MINI, or do I pay them to do it (will they actually charge me to install the valve if I buy it and give it to them while they're doing the oil change)?

As always, TIA

P.S. - Hey Sperry, what were the results from Blackstone?

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Will,

I use Castrol full synthetic and I but my filters online. I'm not a big fan of the drain valve thing because the bottom of that oilpan isn't protected and the valve extends farther down. Knock it off and you have a disabling incident.

I don't think there's enough room for a filter wrench of any kind, I'll show you what the OEM wrench looks like on Saturday and it's not that expensive so I'd highly suggest that.

OEM MINI 5w30 is $7.45/qt and $13.43/filter at MINI of Annapolis.

Which makes OEM oil almost identical in price to Mobil's recommended Mobil1 0w40 at Advance Auto Parts.

Reading the fine print on the Castrol Edge jug was not encouraging. Perhaps they don't want to spoil their deal with BMW. Mobil1 0w40, and only 0w40, indicated comptibility with BMW LL01 requirements.

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...