adener

Interesting Finding

So, my Mini decided to surprise me today on the highway. I'm still new to these cars, loving every second of it, but still have a lot to learn about the details.

The Scoop came with a 6 speed getrag. I started driving automatic but in the past 2 weeks, I really got into driving it "manual" (well, ya know, as manual as getrag can be). It even has the shift pedals on the steering wheel. Loads of fun. Can also squeeze out another 2 mpg out of the car, since the automatic has a tendency to shift at 3500-4000rpm; way too high for everyday traffic.

Anyways, coasting on I70 at 6th gear, the traffic slowed down and I dipped below 2000rpm and Scoop just sort of slumped. I got lazy and didn't shift below to accelerate. I just floored the gas pedal instead.

Much to my surprise, the pedal didn't stop when it hit the bottom. There was some sort of a "button" there that clicked. Scoop shifted itself to 3rd gear automatically and pushed the engine to the redline. I'm not sure if it was supposed to do something different and me not driving it automatic messed something up. Either way, it was a little scary to have that happen in relatively heavy traffic! :laugh:

I'm still wondering what that was. Anyone have any idea?

2006 MCS: Hyper Blue w/ white roof. Cold weather, Sports, 17" w/ flame spokes.

Not having the auto, I'd have to guess that there's an automatic kickdown feature. My "reasoning" would be that if someone were in a situation where they need to move quick and in a panic, they forget to downshift, they push the loud pedal to the floor and the ECU will drop the tranny to the "right" gear and away you go! Kinda like Mr. Toad's wild ride....

I've only driven one MINI and it was 1st Gen "Just a MINI" and that convinced me that the manual was the way to go. I hope the GETRAG and the MCS does better.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I did this again, this time on purpose and driving it auto. It's exactly what you guys said it is. Sort of a hidden "ZOOM!" button at the end of the pedal. Apparently the reason why Scoop hit the redline the first time was because I was in Getrag and didn't shift it up fast enough (coz I didn't expect it) when it was autoshifted down.

As far as the transmission goes, I cant say I like the automatic too much. It has a tendency to shift way higher than it needs to in everyday driving conditions. I'm sure it'll shift better than me when I have to accelerate to max speed but that's obviously never the case. That said, my opinions of the Getrag drastically changed when I actually started driving it "manual". It's extremely responsive. Steering wheel pedals are so convenient, and it gives me pretty much all the control of a straight up manual without any of the clutch hassle. Then again, my stint with full on manual transmission was a very brief one when I was learning to drive, and it certainly wasn't on a Mini. So I'm not exactly qualified to make a solid comparison between the two.

it gives me pretty much all the control of a straight up manual without any of the clutch hassle. Then again, my stint with full on manual transmission was a very brief one when I was learning to drive, and it certainly wasn't on a Mini. So I'm not exactly qualified to make a solid comparison between the two.
Umm, yeah. :tongue:

Opinions will definitely vary on this (mine does!), but the most important thing is that you like your car and the way it's equipped. If that's the case, it shouldn't (and doesn't) matter what other people think! :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Edge said it! All of my off-road "buddies" made fun of me when I showed up in my CJ-7 with the automatic tranny. One trip out to the sand dunes and they stopped laughing! We all head up Patton Hill and around the 1/2 way point, they hit the clutch to downshift and the sand sucked them to a halt. I just whacked the old B&M shifter and kept going. I waited at the top of the hill while they rolled back down and repeated the process. At the end of the day, we towed one of them home with a fried clutch and I didn't have to take grief from them ever again...

As long as you like it, you know what it does or doesn't do, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks unless they are willing to take over your payments. :)

So, I think I have experienced something similar. When in traffic I find myself having to speed up in order to force the transmission to switch gears... even though I "feel" like the gear is switching way too frequently.

Does that make sense?

There is a sort of lull or stutter in the transmission. I need someone to teach me the ways of the Paddle Shifters. If I could control the shift of the transmission that would be great.:motor:

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Edge said it!
Thanks. To clarify my position, I HATE automatic transmissions. I just find them far less satisfying (even boring!) to drive. It goes to the point that I think I'd rather drive a non-MINI with a manual transmission than a MINI with an automatic! (yes, really!) The "manual mode" and paddles of the auto helps a bit, but it just isn't the same surreal experience.

But that's me. I'm not going to judge you for your own decisions! :biggrin: I have many friends who own automatics and I don't think any less of them for it (that would just be petty). As I indicated earlier - it doesn't matter what I think. Enjoy what you like.

Hopefully none of you will hold it against me for the "blasphemous" statement above (the non-MINI one). :angel:

Edited by Edge
Better clarified

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Adner, it's definitely the automatic kickdown - when you push the throttle to the floor, it'll downshift because it assumes you want to accelerate :) There are a lot of automatic transmissions these days that do that, in fact you can read more about it in the Wikipedia if you'd like :) Just scroll down (or click on) section 6.

I think if I had the option for a dual-clutch "automatic manual" like in current, higher end sports cars that I'd be for it. Having driven automatics all my life until the car right before the Mini, though, I really like having a manual - even in DC traffic :)

Only time I hate it is when I'm stuck on like 267 headed west during rush hour ;)

[edit] I should add that I have nothing against people's choices of what they drive - after all, you're driving it for you to have fun :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do like the VW (Drop top New Beetle, Turbo, GLS) because it gives me three ways to shift. Fully automatic (with a "kickdown" as well), the "Sport" option that will hold shifts longer and then the fully manual but without paddles. Like Edge, I don't care much for automatic transmissions but, they do have their place, their time and their "people". I'd be interested in driving one of these newer versions so if there's a chance, I'd be willing to toss my keys to someone and we can "chase" each other down the road just to experience the difference - I promise I'll behave! :)

Edge, you'll have make your amends to the deity of your choice for the horrible things you said above...

Thanks for the replies :) Yeah, there's nothing to worry about. It's gotta be the kickdown. I forced the car into it in Auto, and it upshifts after the kickdown on its own. I was in manual the first time it happened, so I freaked out a little!

Edge, I find myself agreeing with you 100% on the "control" aspect of automatics. I got sick of it and that's why I started driving with the pedals. The only thing a little iffy with the Getrag is that there's a half a second delay on your shifts. Considering how much I don't like dealing with a clutch though, I'll gladly take that over a full on manual. Just my personal choice ;)

Quitta: I know *exactly* what you're referring to :D The automatic transmission, I find, has a tendency to shift too late for everyday driving. It also attempts to avoid downshifting for some unexplicable reason. It causes the car to stutter and stall in acceleration, if you had to slow down in traffic previously. You end up having to really lean on the gas to force a downshift.

Pedals really take care of all these problems. That much I can tell you. I'm new to it myself, so I'll just tell you how I taught myself the pedal shifting ;) I turned the radio off, pulled down the rear seats to get exhaust noise, rolled down the windows and drove for 40 miles. I shifted on the sound of the engine, and started to line that up with gear intervals on the tachometer. I find that Mini is very cooperative on this! I'm not experienced in it by any means, but it's pretty apparent even to an absolute newbie when the car is roaring with power, and when it's screeching for you to shift up. It's not difficult to get a hang of it after a few tries.

A couple of points about automatics...

1. WOT kick-down has been around forever. Older cars, 1960's, 70's.. possibly 80's too, were cable actuated (well, most everything was... that or vacuum). At wide open throttle, they'd drop a gear, so for a Powerglide, it would drop from 2 to 1 (only 2 speeds), for a Turbo-Hydramatic, it drops from 3 to 2 (three-speed). Of course, with later tranny's with more gears, such as a 700R4... gear numbers increased.

2. One trick often used with automatics is to increase the "stall speed" of the torque converter. I believe this involves changing the viscosity of the fluid, but may also involve changing the number or shape/size of the internal vanes, so that the engine revs higher before power is transferred through the drivetrain. This has further been augmented with the introduction of lock-up torque converters (1980s'?) which provide an actual mechanical connection through the tranny.

Automatics do have a tendency to mute the driving experience, but this is less pronounced on large engines that can produce decent torque at low RPM's. Little 4-bangers don't cope quite so well, although, todays automatic transmissions are super good compared to those of decades ago.

:biggrin: (This is a double-post because it seemed fitting to two different threads!)

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

WOW, Alans explanation is super technical...:wavey: I love the automatic, although I have burned one all ready, and all I do is drive it in manual. After some time you'll get the hang of it and will learn to appreciate it a lot more. I also agreee with Haemish that nothing compares to a real manual transmition, but since I used to drive some much, and I havd driven stick all my life, the thought of not having a clutch is a relive.

The best part of it is on the track, that is when I have found the most use for it, only cause it is quicker than the actual stick and it shift up by it's self.

I would love to have a double clutch one, they are supposed to be even better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

Thanks for the replies :) Yeah, there's nothing to worry about. It's gotta be the kickdown. I forced the car into it in Auto, and it upshifts after the kickdown on its own. I was in manual the first time it happened, so I freaked out a little!

Edge, I find myself agreeing with you 100% on the "control" aspect of automatics. I got sick of it and that's why I started driving with the pedals. The only thing a little iffy with the Getrag is that there's a half a second delay on your shifts. Considering how much I don't like dealing with a clutch though, I'll gladly take that over a full on manual. Just my personal choice ;)

Quitta: I know *exactly* what you're referring to :D The automatic transmission, I find, has a tendency to shift too late for everyday driving. It also attempts to avoid downshifting for some unexplicable reason. It causes the car to stutter and stall in acceleration, if you had to slow down in traffic previously. You end up having to really lean on the gas to force a downshift.

Pedals really take care of all these problems. That much I can tell you. I'm new to it myself, so I'll just tell you how I taught myself the pedal shifting ;) I turned the radio off, pulled down the rear seats to get exhaust noise, rolled down the windows and drove for 40 miles. I shifted on the sound of the engine, and started to line that up with gear intervals on the tachometer. I find that Mini is very cooperative on this! I'm not experienced in it by any means, but it's pretty apparent even to an absolute newbie when the car is roaring with power, and when it's screeching for you to shift up. It's not difficult to get a hang of it after a few tries.

I have an auto on my 06 MCS, and NEVER used it 'til my brother coerced me in2 letting him test drive when I first bought her. He told me he loved it, and showed me how. I did it only the 1 time, however, and need 2 have my memory refreshed. Question: do u pull the hand pedals toward u or push them away from u when shifting??? I know it might be a silly ?, but I don't want 2 mess anything up doing the wrong thing. Thanks!

image.php?u=25&type=sigpic&dateline=1424

'scuuuuze me while I kiss the sky ~ Jimi

So, my Mini decided to surprise me today on the highway. I'm still new to these cars, loving every second of it, but still have a lot to learn about the details.

The Scoop came with a 6 speed getrag. I started driving automatic but in the past 2 weeks, I really got into driving it "manual" (well, ya know, as manual as getrag can be). It even has the shift pedals on the steering wheel. Loads of fun. Can also squeeze out another 2 mpg out of the car, since the automatic has a tendency to shift at 3500-4000rpm; way too high for everyday traffic.

Anyways, coasting on I70 at 6th gear, the traffic slowed down and I dipped below 2000rpm and Scoop just sort of slumped. I got lazy and didn't shift below to accelerate. I just floored the gas pedal instead.

Much to my surprise, the pedal didn't stop when it hit the bottom. There was some sort of a "button" there that clicked. Scoop shifted itself to 3rd gear automatically and pushed the engine to the redline. I'm not sure if it was supposed to do something different and me not driving it automatic messed something up. Either way, it was a little scary to have that happen in relatively heavy traffic! :laugh:

I'm still wondering what that was. Anyone have any idea?

Hmmmm. I had an instance this week where I was loafing along at about 45 and needed to nail it. Not all the way to the floor, but got on it hard. It shifted into neutral and jumped towards redline. I got off and it picked up again and took off. I was in standard full automatic mode.

Better mileage in manual mode? Guess I should quit being lazy and get with it. I remember a study BMW did on milage. They recommend moderately hard acceleration and very low shift points. This kept the engine in a more efficient loaded region and you got to cruse quicker.

It goes to the point that I think I'd rather drive a non-MINI with a manual transmission than a MINI with an automatic! (yes, really!)

WHHHAAAAAAATTTTTT???????:questionmark:

Haemish, I hear you can get a great deal on a Hummer with a manual transmission.....:tongue:

btw folks, Its paddles on the steering wheel and pedals on the floor...