Cricket has been having some issues lately. She won't start the first few tries, then the idle is really rough. It evens out in a couple of minutes. The check engine light comes on and the code shows misfires. We've replaced the spark plugs and the coils. She ran fine all week, until this morning. Same issue and same codes saying misfires (cylinders 1, 3 and random). Any thoughts? I really hate to take her to the dealership.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Maybe a loose ground

HOONIGAN

Manic stage 2+, H&R springs, H-Sport 19mm sway bar, K&N intake, Forge Bov, Miltek downpipe, Mini Challenge Exhaust, Alta hotside pipe, Noname Intercooler, Cravenspeed short shifter, Sneed4speed Billyclub, Sneed4speed Aero Package, Sneed4speed

ETR, Sneed4speed track rotors, Carbontech AX6 brake pads

Check the ignition wires. Look for traces of gray. That will tell you the spark is jumping. The best places to look are anywhere the cables touch. A black spot with gray around it is a problem. If it misfires while idling look under the hood at night and you can often see the spark jumping.

You do not need to do the walnut blasting to clean carbon anymore. CRC has a product that cleans the carbon of the back of the valves. It isn't easy to use on a direct injection engine because you need to introduce it into the manifold, but it is much easier than disassembling everything to walnut blast.

You do not need to do the walnut blasting to clean carbon anymore. CRC has a product that cleans the carbon of the back of the valves. It isn't easy to use on a direct injection engine because you need to introduce it into the manifold, but it is much easier than disassembling everything to walnut blast.

Thank you! That's great to know. I'll be sure to mention it to Ptuning!

Our cars must be kindred spirits. :laugh:

Driving to work this morning...my Service Engine Soon light and check engine light (exclamation in triangle) both came on. The car immediately went into limp mode where I couldn't really accelerate above 50mph. The car also seems to idle weird when in gear.

Pulled the codes....P0300 (Misfire.) If I clear the code, it comes back within 1 minute of driving. Spark plugs, coil, and wires were replaced about 2500 miles ago.

For now, it is sitting at the local mechanic. Probably won't be seen until Monday.

2006 Mini Cooper S w/ 120K miles

2006 Mini Cooper S

This reminds me of BLUR. It ended up being the gaskets being replaced that brought her back. After all cylinders and coils being replaced. Thank goodness for seafoam and warranties!

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Did you find what wrong with your car?

Just got mine back. The supercharger intake tube was broken. The car is alive.

Not yet. She's still at Ptuning. They haven't figured it out yet, though they suspect it might be the HPFP. That will really suck, because I'm well out of the warranty.

However, assuming it IS the HPFP.... MINI extended the warranty on them to 10years/100k. Cricket has a 128k, but the HPFP was replaced under the original warranty in 2011 at 55k. Is there a case to get MINI to replace it again? I have no confidence in the dealerships anymore. All of the good people have left.

Randmness: I have heard of supercharger inlet tubes leaking but never 'breaking.' Any idea what caused that?

No idea. They replaced it, and the nature of the misfire changed to cylinder 1 & 3. They swapped out the spark plugs, and now the vehicle is driving correctly again. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if this solved the problem (I pick up the car today.) The spark plugs (in addition to the wires and coil) were replaced less than 2K miles ago. Perhaps, the misfire caused the two plugs to go bad? I'm not really sure.

At this point though, I think it may be time to cut my losses and give the car up.

2006 Mini Cooper S

Just to join in on the misery, my 2011 was in the shop over the weekend as well. Check engine light came on Saturday I limped it to PMoA (glad I was nearby). Oil line leak and coolant issues. I'd rather not say how much it may cost. At least the oil issue has been fixed.

I thought the car was running "rough" and I did smell oil burning a time or two last week. Of course I looked under the car to see if I could obviously tell it was leaking. Nope.

For now, it's back on the road and running well...but that coolant issue has to be fixed sooner rather than later........:hmpf:

On a note more relative to the post, I had my HPFP go at 45K though it wasn't immediate. The check engine light would come on sporadically. Sometimes it would go into limp mode and sometimes it wouldn't. I've also had plugs and coil issues. All my coils were changed at 55K and my plugs were swapped for NGKs at 65K. I have 84K on the vehicle now.

Grey Goose: 2016 F56 Moonwalk Grey JCW - TTFS/GTPeace Custom Stage 1 (Present)
Shadow: 2011 R56 HT MB/MB - MANIC Stage 1 (Past)