unstable

Fog lights

I want traditional amber fog lights and i have two choices.

Install another set of lights or replace the white bulb with an amber one in the existing fog lights. Im not sold on the real value of adding more lights. I know they look good and lots of folks have them, but how often do you actually use them?

Has anyone replaced the existing fog light bulb with an amber bulb or replaced the whole light with something else?

Brian

2006 British racing green with black roof.

I want traditional amber fog lights and i have two choices.

Install another set of lights or replace the white bulb with an amber one in the existing fog lights. Im not sold on the real value of adding more lights. I know they look good and lots of folks have them, but how often do you actually use them?

Has anyone replaced the existing fog light bulb with an amber bulb or replaced the whole light with something else?

amber or yellow fogs?

I have replaced both my high beam and fog light bulbs with yellow bulbs. I dont know if you can make it out in this photo, but they do have some yellow look to them in the reflection in the bowls when off. Unfortunately, I have no photos of the bulbs when illuminated at this point

for what its worth, I love having the yellow fogs, and put them in all my vehicles

14266577924_04650cb3cd.jpg_DSC1594 by DrFraserCrane, on Flickr

-Dictated but not read to expedite report

Are the yellow fogs just for looks or are they better when it's foggy?

Im certain someone can explain this better than i can...but here goes...

When its rainy or foggy out, the yellow light "cuts" through those better. It has to do with the way the white light gets reflected or something.

Brian

amber or yellow fogs?

I have replaced both my high beam and fog light bulbs with yellow bulbs. I dont know if you can make it out in this photo, but they do have some yellow look to them in the reflection in the bowls when off. Unfortunately, I have no photos of the bulbs when illuminated at this point

for what its worth, I love having the yellow fogs, and put them in all my vehicles

14266577924_04650cb3cd.jpg_DSC1594 by DrFraserCrane, on Flickr

I sort of see it.

How do the fogs (not hi beam replacements) do in conjunction with your regular light beams?

Brian

I sort of see it.

How do the fogs (not hi beam replacements) do in conjunction with your regular light beams?

the fogs are a noticeable supplement to the regular low beams, especially with having the HID lighting the yellow is a much more dramatic color difference. I like them.

I believe you have to reprogram for the fogs and high beams to work at the same time?

thats my understanding as well, and my fogs cut out with high beams in use

I believe you have to reprogram for the fogs and high beams to work at the same time?
thats my understanding as well, and my fogs cut out with high beams in use
I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement in many states - something about not having more than 4 lights active at once (regular headlights + fogs or regular headlights + high beams... but not all 6 combined).

I'm not sure but it might be something that causes a failed state inspection. Just something to keep in mind if you choose to bypass the "one or the other but not both at the same time" lockout.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement in many states - something about not having more than 4 lights active at once (regular headlights + fogs or regular headlights + high beams... but not all 6 combined).

I'm not sure but it might be something that causes a failed state inspection. Just something to keep in mind if you choose to bypass the "one or the other but not both at the same time" lockout.

This isn't my goal, just change out the fog light bulbs.

It will fail inspection if all come on at one time.

Brian

to cycle back to the original question, if it were me, id buy some bulbs and throw em in there. dont like them, go back to stock bulbs

Thats what I'm going to do.

What watt builds did you install?

Im looking at the Hella H11 55 watt bulbs.

Brian

When you installed yours, did you remove the wheel and inner fender, or just turn the wheels and pull the inner fender back to slide in and out?

jacked the car up, pulled the wheel, and removed/peeled back the front half of the fender liner. much easier this way rather than fighting it blind in my opinion

Are you guys talking about the fog lights in the bottom of the bumper cover? You know the ones that aren't even useful in fog? The ones that light up about 20 feet in front of the car, and even then only the curbs? Those lights?

The ones where it would be completely stupid to have them on along with the high beams? (whatever benefit the fogs may give you is negated by the reflected glare of the high beams)

Or are you talking about auxiliary DRIVING lights?

No matter where you go, there you are!

The fog lights in the bottom of the bumper, the ones that do just that, throw light out about 20 feet :rofl:

Correct, they don't come on with high beams, but i don't use my high beams in the fog....thats just pointless. So, adding some yellow light should hopefully make them more usable and give them a purpose.

Are you guys talking about the fog lights in the bottom of the bumper cover? You know the ones that aren't even useful in fog? The ones that light up about 20 feet in front of the car, and even then only the curbs? Those lights?

The ones where it would be completely stupid to have them on along with the high beams? (whatever benefit the fogs may give you is negated by the reflected glare of the high beams)

Or are you talking about auxiliary DRIVING lights?

Brian

Well I took advantage of the nice weather Sunday and replaced the stock fog light bulbs with Hella Optilux yellow bulbs. I was out driving last night in the slight fog and rain and they are WAY better than the stock bulbs.

They add a subtle yellow tint to the light cast by the headlights and cast more usable light than the stock ones.

Brian