1975_mini

"Beat the Rays" Tint Party

Er... just realized you need to be a paid member to read the post I linked to. :)

Quick summary here...

There are a variety of settings that BMW/MINI doesn't allow changing through user-accessible means. Some may be for safety, others actually add some nice convenience. These can be changed by those in the know with a laptop and some software, and a special cable to go between the car and laptop.

A small sample of things that can be changed...

- Comfort close windows/sunroof (possibly top if convertible) with remote (hold lock button)

- Two-touch sunroof (one touch tilts open, a second touch opens fully)

- Always show digital speed on tach (for some years that instead showed Time/Temp in the middle of the tach)

- Remove safety warning from Connected/Navigation

- Auto-unlock doors when removing key from holder (may not work if you have the comfort system)

- Disable various light bulb checks (i.e. if you have LED turn signals, brake lights, etc.)

- Disable auto/int wiper icon (moves trip odometer back to bottom line next to regular odometer)

And more. A longer list is available in a Google Docs spreadsheet linked in this NAM post. Even that list isn't complete, but at least things there have been tested by others.

One great feature that can be manipulated is the automatic speed correction. You've probably noticed that your indicated speed is 3-5mph higher than your actual speed? Mike can turn that off and the indcated and actual speeds will be much, much closer.

Another one that I wasn't able to try was for a car with auto wipers and a sunroof. If the sunroof is open and the sensor detects rain, it will automatically close the sunroof.

Another popular setting was one that will leave your front fog lights on with either high or low beam headlights on.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

One great feature that can be manipulated is the automatic speed correction. You've probably noticed that your indicated speed is 3-5mph higher than your actual speed? Mike can turn that off and the indcated and actual speeds will be much, much closer.

Another one that I wasn't able to try was for a car with auto wipers and a sunroof. If the sunroof is open and the sensor detects rain, it will automatically close the sunroof.

Another popular setting was one that will leave your front fog lights on with either high or low beam headlights on.

I like the Fog lights on idea:top:

image.php?u=1209&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I've been chatting with new forum member igzekyativ on the DCMM FB page. He just joined the forums but can't post yet. He's interested in being on the waitlist for tint if a spot opens up and also needs coding on his 2012 MINI JCW and his wife's 2013 MINI JCW.

Signature.JPG

Here in VA, it is illegal to have fog lights on while your high beams are on. I suppose there are some states that it may not be, but I wouldn't recommend doing this one unless you live in one of those states.

The speed "overestimation" is one thing that I really hate. It's the first thing I disabled. The fact that the car tells you that you're going 65 when a third-party GPS says you're actually going 62-63...annoying. One side-effect of disabling this setting though... if you frequently use cruise control, it will continue to refer to the over-estimated speed. So if your cruise control says 70 MPH, you'll really be going 67. another note... this only affects the digital speedometer, not the large analog one.

I've been chatting with new forum member igzekyativ on the DCMM FB page. He just joined the forums but can't post yet. He's interested in being on the waitlist for tint if a spot opens up and also needs coding on his 2012 MINI JCW and his wife's 2013 MINI JCW.

He I first on the waiting list, and if he is coming for the coding. And if the tinting goes a little quicker they might be able to scueeze him in. Craig's likely not going to take the full alotted time

1975Mini001.jpg

1975 Mini 1000, 998cc A+ w/ K&N air filter, 10" Mamba wheels

Made sure the computer still talks to the car this afternoon... fortunately it does. :)

Ready to go... is it Sunday yet?

Here's my own slightly more organized coding list than the one at NAM... has things grouped together by module, cleaner descriptions, and whatnot (also had to do a little homework for some of them). Available for viewing at http://go.mikev.com/minicoding. If you know of a setting that should be added, let me know the details and I'll add it.

A small sample of things that can be changed...

- Always show digital speed on tach (for some years that instead showed Time/Temp in the middle of the tach)

This is the one I really miss having gone from the 2008 Clubman to the 2013 Roadster. I went back to Sterling to ask how to change it, but was told it could no longer be displayed as such. :hmpf:

image.php?u=179&type=sigpic&dateline=140

This is the one I really miss having gone from the 2008 Clubman to the 2013 Roadster. I went back to Sterling to ask how to change it, but was told it could no longer be displayed as such. :hmpf:

It's as easy to enable as it is to disable... :) If you want the time and temp back, it can be done!

Two quick things:

Some may have seen Catalina's post of Carlos passing, which I am sorry to hear. To prevent any confusion we had scheduled through a different mobile tint company for this event and the event is still on.

Also James (Burgrave of Fells Point) can you please confirm your spot for the event either by responding to the PM I sent or on here. I would like to finalize everything today. So I can provide confirmed final numbers to the tint company, thanks.

1975Mini001.jpg

We realized that the food and social discussion wasn't in this thread.

We'll be putting out some BBQ'd ribs and a smoked brisket, grilled veggies, potato salad, mac & cheese (I may also make a special batch of Bacon mac & cheese), grilled veggies, rolls and who knows what else! We'll obviously be open all day so feel free to drop in. As the head chef and chief bottle washer, I'm estimating noon for the food to be ready but remember, that is an estimate. No need to RSVP or respond or anything.

Oh and if you'd like to get some twisties in before or after - here's a local route that just me be very fun! Be careful in/around Clifton as there is frequent and strict enforcement of speed limits. Potential Route.

Thank you everyone for coming out yesterday, it was great to see old faces and a few new ones. Special thanks to Craig and Lona for allowing us to use the garagemahal and demonstrating your mastery of the smoker.

All the tint looked great, and for those that did get tint done keep those windows up. Also give us a review of your tint in a week or two. Feel free to give Wardyl a review on his webpage mentioned above.

Again thank you everyone for making this event a success.

1975Mini001.jpg

Can someone PM me an address? I have no idea how to get there.

Sorry Jay, I was so busy, I didn't even get a chance to log into the forums yesterday once the action started.

Thank you Corey for setting up the perfect day. Great food, great weather, great conversation, and a great technician doing the tint work. And thank you everyone that came by just to hang out. The house was pretty full for awhile. :)

Thank you Corey for setting up the perfect day. Great food, great weather, great conversation, and a great technician doing the tint work. And thank you everyone that came by just to hang out. The house was pretty full for awhile. :)

I second everything that she said! Thanks for setting it up and thanks to everyone for dropping by!

I'm good too, but Brad's new MINI needs tint. We've had some new members who may need it too.

Agreed, we'd need a garage.... which I don't have.

While aimlessly looking through the forum last night I saw this, and was really interested, except that I live in D.C., and if I'm not mistaken the amount my windows can be tinted is pretty low, so I'm not sure if it's worth it?

While aimlessly looking through the forum last night I saw this, and was really interested, except that I live in D.C., and if I'm not mistaken the amount my windows can be tinted is pretty low, so I'm not sure if it's worth it?

I found this

http://tintlaws.com/washington-dc-window-tint-law.php

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

You're right, legal DC tint isn't much more than factory. I had Cricket in DC for a few years and had my windows tinted 50%, which is legal in VA. I never had an issue in DC. I know it was a risk, but no one ever bothered me about it.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I am guessing we need a garage since Criag is no longer with us here. I could ask my brother but getting everyone into his development would be a challenge since he is in a gated community. But I could ask him it would have to be on a Sunday so I could be there to get people in.