jcooper

Popping sound

Okay so today I was driving back to work and had only been driving my car for about 15 minutes. Normally when i drive a little agressively with the "sport" mode on I hear the exhaust pop or gurggle a little and I know this is normal (from what i've read). But, today I heard at two seperate times a quite loud "bang" noise come from the exhaust. Is this normal ? it was quite a startling sound...I actually looked around to make sure that it was me. It was similar to the pops/gurggle it normally makes just louder and more like a "snap". I dont know sometimes those sounds worry me as if I have an exhaust leak or something! But i guess... most of the sounds i'm hearing are normal. Should I be concerned? Do some MINI's pop/gurggle more than others?

Okay so today I was driving back to work and had only been driving my car for about 15 minutes. Normally when i drive a little agressively with the "sport" mode on I hear the exhaust pop or gurggle a little and I know this is normal (from what i've read). But, today I heard at two seperate times a quite loud "bang" noise come from the exhaust. Is this normal ? it was quite a startling sound...I actually looked around to make sure that it was me. It was similar to the pops/gurggle it normally makes just louder and more like a "snap". I dont know sometimes those sounds worry me as if I have an exhaust leak or something! But i guess... most of the sounds i'm hearing are normal. Should I be concerned? Do some MINI's pop/gurggle more than others?

The exhausts do pop and burble, usually when after acceleration when you let off the gas.

Accelerate, let off the gas suddenly, pop, bang, burble, pop and :biggrin:

Tigger has an after market exhaust which amplifies it and makes it really loud. It's not unusual to hear a pretty loud pop, but it shouldn't feel jarring. I can't remember but I think 2011 is the year they brought the sound back. It was in the first gens, then they removed it for the early second gens and people complained so they brought it back.

It does sound a lot like an exhaust leak, but more intentional

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

:dontknow:

The exhausts do pop and burble, usually when after acceleration when you let off the gas.

Accelerate, let off the gas suddenly, pop, bang, burble, pop and :biggrin:

Tigger has an after market exhaust which amplifies it and makes it really loud. It's not unusual to hear a pretty loud pop, but it shouldn't feel jarring. I can't remember but I think 2011 is the year they brought the sound back. It was in the first gens, then they removed it for the early second gens and people complained so they brought it back.

It does sound a lot like an exhaust leak, but more intentional

Okay! I dont mind if its something intentional i like the little pops and burbles. It makes the exhaust sounds pretty throaty. Just the "bang" sounded more like a backfire to me :dontknow: thats okay, as long as I dont have any exhaust issues. Idk, Olive surprises me with her little quirks everyday

In certain situations Rigby will decide to really talk to us with a definite Bang instead of a pop.

It's not jolting but the first time it happened with the top down while driving under a bridge it really got my attention, as well as everyone else's !

We love the snaps, burbles, pops and bangs which all go away immediately when the Sport mode is deactivated. We have to be careful when driving at night into our condo property :-(

You can force a good pop or bang by running up the RPMs while in gear and then decelerating without shifting or going into neutral.

On the Spring Run I could get a good bang in the power transition/over run when I passed over the top of a steeper hill - sometimes combined with slightly and briefly lower G's <g> ( vertical twisty?) Think "bang" as you would go over the top of a roller coaster. The faster I came off the accelerator the more pronounced the pop or bang. That is the fun part - I didn't have to be going fast to make it happen. It seems the loudness is related to the delta v and sudden power drop rather than constant speed.

I'm definitely digging this feature!

...Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Rigsby" - 13 R59 MCRSm, CR, Blk SS, 17" Blk Star Bullets, Blk HL and FL, Blk Mirrors, Stone Guards, Chrome Line Ext & Int, JCW Int, Championship B/R, Packs: 1, 2, 3, 4, HK w/Sirius, NAV, MC, PDC

:dontknow:

Okay! I dont mind if its something intentional i like the little pops and burbles. It makes the exhaust sounds pretty throaty. Just the "bang" sounded more like a backfire to me :dontknow: thats okay, as long as I dont have any exhaust issues. Idk, Olive surprises me with her little quirks everyday

My roommate, Justin, his xA spits fire out of her exhaust and singes grass. It might be normal haha.

Audrey, certain years do it so don't feel bad. Lucy doesn't pop or burble either.

Steph is correct. That is why the article talks about the burbles returning in 2011. I don't know when they left (which model year) but my 2012 MCS R56 is an automatic and there are times I let the burbles fly.

"Burbles Happen!"

image.php?u=1000&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Ernie McStreet's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/erniemcs.street

Steph is correct. That is why the article talks about the burbles returning in 2011. I don't know when they left (which model year) but my 2012 MCS R56 is an automatic and there are times I let the burbles fly.

"Burbles Happen!"

I know early R56s don't burble. I want to say it was maybe 2010 that it was brought back?

Here is the status of ECU-induced burble from the factory, by model year - to the best of my knowledge:

2002-2004 1st Gen S (original): No

2005-2006 1st Gen S (refresh): Yes

2007-2009 1st Gen S (R52): <unsure?>

2007-2010 2nd Gen S (original): No, except Factory JCWs (2009+), which do have it

2011+ 2nd Gen S & JCW (refresh): Yes

Here is the MotoringFile article that mentions the first introduction of the burble in 2005 models:

The amusing thing is that due to customer complaints and concerns about it, MINI had to release a service notice ("service measure") explaining that this is perfectly normal and intended behavior. It also reveals (at least in the 1st Gens with it) that it is specifically designed to occur when engine braking in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears, or when over 3,000 rpm when stationary.

So there's the trick to know to force it, at least in the 1st Gens with it! Not sure if the 2nd Gens with it were programmed for the exact same triggers or not.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

I've startled the gate guards here at work with it. Sport button on, engine braking down the hill to the guards and all they hear is the grumble, grumble, pop, grumble... A couple have stopped me and commented on it.

Audrey, try the "triggers" that Haemish mentioned OR, take a ride with another 1st Gen that does it and see what it sounds like. There's also the chance that you aren't hearing it if you are like Ali and "sing" along with your radio at deafening levels...

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I've startled the gate guards here at work with it. Sport button on, engine braking down the hill to the guards and all they hear is the grumble, grumble, pop, grumble... A couple have stopped me and commented on it.

Audrey, try the "triggers" that Haemish mentioned OR, take a ride with another 1st Gen that does it and see what it sounds like. There's also the chance that you aren't hearing it if you are like Ali and "sing" along with your radio at deafening levels...

Sara never really heard it until the dragon, now she is addicted to the sport button!

image.php?u=1185&type=sigpic&dateline=13

Sara never really heard it until the dragon, now she is addicted to the sport button!

Take a look at this.

Fairly easy install. What I REALLY like about this thing is the ability to have "stealth" circuits for power.

I have two devices that won't be mentioned here (they aren't legal to USE in VA or D.C. so that would violate site rules) that are controlled by the stealth circuits. A quick double tap on the DSC or Sport button and I can turn the electronic devices off or on. No need to reach up to the roofline or anything. This could also be used to control lights or other devices with the use of a relay.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Take a look at this.

Fairly easy install. What I REALLY like about this thing is the ability to have "stealth" circuits for power.

I have two devices that won't be mentioned here (they aren't legal to USE in VA or D.C. so that would violate site rules) that are controlled by the stealth circuits. A quick double tap on the DSC or Sport button and I can turn the electronic devices off or on. No need to reach up to the roofline or anything. This could also be used to control lights or other devices with the use of a relay.

ooOOOoooh! :tee:

image.php?u=1181&type=sigpic&dateline=13

I've startled the gate guards here at work with it. Sport button on, engine braking down the hill to the guards and all they hear is the grumble, grumble, pop, grumble... A couple have stopped me and

I had a guard stop me the other day he was like "this is a MINI? What about those lights, are they bright?" Yeah baby. MINI. I just didn't have the heart to say the lights weren't wired yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]