Poison Ivy

Clueless in DC

So if there's something I've learned from the last few times Lola's been in the shop is that I am CAR CLUELESS when it comes to the repairs and how my engine works.

My SA has been great about fighting my warranty company when he could tell they were being jerks, but I didn't bother asking him to explain to me and SA already knows it's Greek to me.

Usually I revert to Geno, my dad, my boss or my DCMM family, but I need to start understanding this stuff better.

Anyone have any suggestions that doesn't involve reading a manual that is hundreds of pages? #aintnobodygottimeforthat....

Anyone else feel the same way?

Sincerly,

Clueless in DC :banghead:

Signature.JPG

Get to know Lola in ways you never thought possible. When I first wanted to learn about cars, I grabbed a boy that I thought was cute and in auto-tech and told him to show me parts, what they do, how they work. It was easy (and an excuse to hang out with him) because it was innocent and fun (and in high school). Ask questions if you don't understand. If the person you ask treats you like you're dumb or explains stuff in gibberish, tell them to slow down :)

When I went to Craig's house to install my MINI and Scion xBox coilovers he asked me, "Do you know what you're doing?" I responded, "No but I'll figure it out". haha I think the hardest part is having the space, tools, and time to dismantle everything to get what you need to install.

03 BRG MINI S: Sold!

05 PW Scion xB: D2 Coilovers, XXR 531 16x8, Yakima rack, Yakima basket, WINK, Plaid interior, and a whopping 108 HP!

Anyone have any suggestions that doesn't involve reading a manual that is hundreds of pages? #aintnobodygottimeforthat....

Honestly, if you make time for that, it is a tremendous help.

http://www.haynes.com/products/?searchType=vehicleApplicationSearch2&searchEnd=yes&sfID1=&sfID2=&sfID3=&year=2003&make=Mini&model=R53+Cooper+S&x=12&y=5

Well spent money. You don't have to read it cover to cover, BUT, it can help you troubleshoot, potentially diagnose, and deff repair. If you have never used a Haynes Guide, they are REALLY easy to navigate, and put things into terms where a monkey could do it, and not a NASA trained monkey

If you REALLY want to get into the ins and outs, without it being overwhelming, grab one for your year.

$30 gets you:

Complete coverage for your Mini Cooper, Cooper S, Clubman & Clubman S for 2002 thru 2011 (See specific years covered) (Does not include Countryman models or convertible top information):

--Routine Maintenance

--Tune-up procedures

--Engine repair

--Cooling and heating

--Air Conditioning

--Fuel and exhaust

--Emissions control

--Ignition

--Brakes

--Suspension and steering

--Electrical systems

--Wiring diagrams

You change your OWN oil ONCE and the book has more than paid for itself.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

Honestly, if you make time for that, it is a tremendous help.

http://www.haynes.com/products/?searchType=vehicleApplicationSearch2&searchEnd=yes&sfID1=&sfID2=&sfID3=&year=2003&make=Mini&model=R53+Cooper+S&x=12&y=5

Well spent money. You don't have to read it cover to cover, BUT, it can help you troubleshoot, potentially diagnose, and deff repair. If you have never used a Haynes Guide, they are REALLY easy to navigate, and put things into terms where a monkey could do it, and not a NASA trained monkey

If you REALLY want to get into the ins and outs, without it being overwhelming, grab one for your year.

$30 gets you:

Complete coverage for your Mini Cooper, Cooper S, Clubman & Clubman S for 2002 thru 2011 (See specific years covered) (Does not include Countryman models or convertible top information):

--Routine Maintenance

--Tune-up procedures

--Engine repair

--Cooling and heating

--Air Conditioning

--Fuel and exhaust

--Emissions control

--Ignition

--Brakes

--Suspension and steering

--Electrical systems

--Wiring diagrams

You change your OWN oil ONCE and the book has more than paid for itself.

+1 for what everyone has said here and you know you are always welcome at the Garage Mahal. Many, many thanks to Laura (Green Cactus) for contributing a Bently manual for the 2nd Gen's. It's on top of the toolbox for anyone to use/reference and I will say that I have used it several times.

When you get Lola back and you want to do an oil change or anything like that, just get in touch. I know I'm not the only one that willing to sit back and point (instead of do) and talk you through processes.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

When you get Lola back and you want to do an oil change or anything like that, just get in touch. I know I'm not the only one that willing to sit back and point (instead of do) and talk you through processes.

I would also be interested in learning to do an oil change. Maybe there can be a 'novice day' or something?

I would also be interested in learning to do an oil change. Maybe there can be a 'novice day' or something?

That's what I was thinking, little sessions us.

Oil changes are so fun and easy!!!! (And cost efficient if you do them yourself). There are quite a few great how-tos out there and I wouldn't mind sharing my knowledge and some tips even!!

What are the pro's and con's of the Bentley vs. Haynes manuals? Would one fit Catalina's needs more than the other?

Bentley is REALLY comprehensive, a VERY thorough book, not that Haynes isn't, BUT Bentley Manuals can read like rocket science sometimes, whereas Haynes Guides are a little easier to use/follow(imo).

Bentley Manuals are pricey too, but you DO get what you pay for. Like I said, they are full of LOADS of details, and delve into some more technical aspects that the average Joe, or Jane, might find intimidating.

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr