Edge

MOTD7 - Tuesday caravan?

Hey everyone... I'm planning on driving down to MOTD 1 day early (Tuesday, April 28). I'll be taking Rt 66 out to the very end (Strasburg, VA) then taking Rt 81 South from there to Knoxville, then down to Maryville, and finally Rt 129. The total drive time is ~8 hours, plus a stop or two for food & gas. This is my 5th MOTD, so it has become a comfortable annual routine. :smile:

The departure time is not decided yet... but I'm flexible if we end up having a caravan. Since I live in Annandale, only a few short miles (3.2) from I-66, rush hour traffic should not be a huge factor (from my house, at least).

Anyway... are there any other DCMMers who also want to go on Tuesday, that would like to do a caravan? :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Wish I could, but can't leave until Wednesday morning. I like your route, 81 to TN is a great run down the corridor. Just watch out for police, they love hiding up and down there. If you could send me your route details there I will be taking the same route the next day.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wish I could, but can't leave until Wednesday morning. I like your route, 81 to TN is a great run down the corridor. Just watch out for police, they love hiding up and down there. If you could send me your route details there I will be taking the same route the next day.
Yep, police definitely a concern... finding the right "balance" between time efficiency and wallet efficiency is always a challenge! :smile:

Here's the route I'll be taking - starting at I-495:

1. I-66W to I-81S (64.5 miles)

2. I-81S to I-40W (376 miles) (also, a stop for gas just inside TN border)

3. I-40W to Knoxville (32.1 miles)

4. At this point, there are a few turns you have to take through Knoxville, but there should be signs to take you to Maryville. Follow those until you're on Rt 129. (I use my Nav system)

5. Rt 129 to Rt 28 (52.8 miles - the last 11.3 of which is the Dragon!)

6. Rt 28 to Fontana Village (9.2 miles)

The total trip distance is 542 miles, according to Google Maps (route link), for a little over 9 hours. If you are not a "strictly speed limit" person like me, it will take about 8 hours. Add back in the gas/food stop(s), and it comes back to 9.

Mind you, even in my "least efficient MINI" R53, if I start the trip with a full tank, I manage to make the whole trip with only one stop for gas (usually just inside TN, as noted in step 2 above). So 2 tanks for the whole trip.

R56s won't need to stop at the TN border, of course... and they might be able to make the whole distance on 1 tank... if driven very conservatively. :tongue:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

Well I am not going to MOTD; but I am leaving for Oklahoma city on that Tuesday and will be taking the same route; well until Knoxville then I will stay on 40 for another 700 miles or so. I will be leaving early and am not really a "stick to the speed limit" person, ask Kurt about that. But I will be looking for MINIs anyway.

Well I am not going to MOTD; but I am leaving for Oklahoma city on that Tuesday and will be taking the same route; well until Knoxville then I will stay on 40 for another 700 miles or so. I will be leaving early and am not really a "stick to the speed limit" person, ask Kurt about that. But I will be looking for MINIs anyway.
Well, if our intended departure times line up close enough, perhaps a "Caravan to Knoxville"? :smile:

Well, if our intended departure times line up close enough, perhaps a "Caravan to Knoxville"? :smile:

Ok scratch that...maybe. I might have to change my day of departure. I am starting a new job with the FAA, I applied a year ago; got my security clearance and passed my medical and psychological evaluation within the next 6 moths and since then have learned that the government takes their time actually getting a date to start(I have been hired as an Air Traffic Controller by the way) So, now it turns out that I may be leaving a day or two later.

I'm up for a caravan, but probably can't leave until Wednesday morning.

I will do a Wednesday departure caravan. I have a V1 radar detector installed for the police.

2009 MINI Clubman Factory JCW CR/B

Helix BOV, DDM CAI, Helix STS, 35% tint, Black R113 wheels, eibach pro kit, 8000K 55w HID's.

2006 MINI Cooper S PS/B 176 fwhp/ 165 fwtq SOLD

2004 Pontiac GTO BLK 389 rwhp / 454 rwtq SOLD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Muchas gracias, Mamá! :biggrin:

I came down to see friends in Gatlinburg Saturday. There are signs on I-40 saying that parts of I-40 will be closed for a year. Then they give alternate routes. I do not know if this affects getting to the dragon.