CapsFanVA

What should I do with my stock R52 Cabrio

I have a 2007 S Cabrio and not sure where I should start in getting the best performance out of it. I've seen people talk about 15% reduction pulleys for the super charger, but what else has people done to their mini's?

These are not performance related, but I did just buy the FES Top Commander and the auto up v7 module. I'm also going to do the rear seat delete once I find one for my model. Does anyone have experience in taking out the rear set in a cabrio? How much of a pain is it?

Thanks

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Robert

2007 R52 S Convertible - Rogue (Plates R52FUN)

Hey Tigger is an R52, we can talk Mods

He has the 15% reduction pulley

DDM Works Cold Air Intake

Magnaflow Exhaust (we don't have a lot of choices on exhausts because of the bracing)

After getting all of the above done I got a tune from Way at the Dragon.

I have the top commander, it's a little buggy but works for the most part. Don't believe the 15 minute install, that thing was so bad to install I had to pay Way to do it at the Dragon.

I also put on Rota rims which are lighter

Another of my favorite mods was wrapping the roll bars in Dark Silver, which I like way better then the chrome.

I also upgraded the rotors and the brakes because Craig advised that if you're going to add power you need to also have better brakes.

and I have a 19mm hollow sway bar.

I think that's pretty much all of them. I am happy with each and every mod and it's taken me over 3 years to install them all. I do a little bit each year.

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Forgot to mention, I did take out the bottom of the rear seat when installing the 4 point harness, it's really easy, it's just kind of velcroe'd in there. While it was out we added some sound proofing material.

If you do a rear seat delete, then will the area open to the boot be wide open?

Tggrrr010.jpg

Thanks for the info. Now I know where to start putting my disposable income lol.

Here is what I was looking at for the rear seat delete:

http://moss-prod-01.sysiq.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MossMotors-US-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductSKU=102-340-m&CatalogCategoryName=&sitebranding=new-mini&CategoryPath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch%3Dcat_results%2F%2F%2F%2FNew+MINI%2F%2F%2F%2FMINI+Interior%2F%2F%2F%2FAccessories

Not sure if there is anything better or different or if they are all pretty much the same.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Robert

Funny you mention the roadster. I was so excited to see one up close at the picnic that I almost bought one this week. Then I got reminded of how much the car payment would be on an impulse buy LOL.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Robert

Like Ali was saying... pulley, intake, exhaust & tune are the 4 "must have" mods for any S R52 or R53 in the power department.

Brakes - lots of options, from the 1st Gen JCW brake upgrade (which is effectively identical to the 2nd Gen S brakes, except the red paint & logo), to Big Brake Kits (both JCW and aftermarket). I used to have the former, and now have the latter (2nd Gen JCW BBK) retrofitted onto my R53 (see my thread on it).

Then of course you have the handling mods. A larger sway bar gives you the best immediate "bang for the buck", but there's a lot more you can do after that, with upgraded springs & shocks, or coilovers, and caster camber plates.

Obviously lighter wheels will help reduce the unsprung weight and rolling mass.

It's a long, expensive slippery slope... but it's a bunch of fun! :biggrin:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Thanks for the info. Now I know where to start putting my disposable income lol.

Here is what I was looking at for the rear seat delete:

http://moss-prod-01.sysiq.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MossMotors-US-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductSKU=102-340-m&CatalogCategoryName=&sitebranding=new-mini&CategoryPath=All+Products%2F%2F%2F%2FUserSearch%3Dcat_results%2F%2F%2F%2FNew+MINI%2F%2F%2F%2FMINI+Interior%2F%2F%2F%2FAccessories

Not sure if there is anything better or different or if they are all pretty much the same.

I don't have a cabrio, so I could be wrong, but wouldn't that require removing the roll bars?

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

Spoke with someone at http://www.minimania.com and they said that the rear seat roll bars remain.

http://new.minimania.com/part/NMI6010/REAR-SEAT-DELETE-KIT---R50-52-53-COOPER--S-HRDTP--CNVRTBLE

Also there is a bug for the 2007 & 2008 R52 in their "will it fit" where it states it won't fit but it actually does. That was confirmed as well.

Looks like I am placing my order next week once I move into my new place :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Robert

isn't 2007 when they switched to gen 2 turbo vs. s/c or di the cabrios go another year
Only on the hardtops. The convertible models stayed 1st Gen (including the supercharger) through 2008, until the new 2nd Gen convertible (aka R57) was released as a 2009 model.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

In addition to the the Alta intake, 15% pulley, and Magnaflow exhaust already mentioned my next fav's are MUCH lighter wheels, better tires, and my Texas Speed Works chassis brace.

Lighter wheels reduce unsprung weight and improve handling and ride a bit, even accelaration and braking a bit. Very open wheels like the defunct K1's my car wears half the year are under 17 lbs for a 17 x 7 and are so open it even helps brake temps. Ceramic pads make a huge difference in reducing brake dust, especially important in a cabrio as it comes in all over the back seat!

In addition to the the Alta intake, 15% pulley, and Magnaflow exhaust already mentioned my next fav's are MUCH lighter wheels, better tires, and my Texas Speed Works chassis brace.

Lighter wheels reduce unsprung weight and improve handling and ride a bit, even accelaration and braking a bit. Very open wheels like the defunct K1's my car wears half the year are under 17 lbs for a 17 x 7 and are so open it even helps brake temps. Ceramic pads make a huge difference in reducing brake dust, especially important in a cabrio as it comes in all over the back seat!

I've always liked what you did to your cabrio.

Tggrrr010.jpg