minime331

I've had it with the dust

so after cleaning my car today i went around the block to let some air move over the car to help dry it. and as i come back to look over the car what is that i see on the wheels.... "brake dust" :mad::mad::mad::banghead::banghead: it's crazy how much dust the brakes on the mini's make it just blows my mind.

so with the little story over i want to know what are good brakes i should get i've herd that ceramic are the way to go but what pads are the best for the r53 that will allow me to get slotted,drilled rotors?

I HATE BRAKE DUST F.Y.I :biggrin::biggrin:

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

ceramic break pads, slotted rotors, wheel wax & black wheels!! :top:

what kind of ceramic pads are good (i.e brand )

so i just get slotted or slotted+ drilled

STella- 14' Focus ST Roush CAI, Cobb access port stage1 tune, custom Ptuning 3" exhuast, Levels FMIC, Turbosmart BOV, rally armor mud flaps, more to come.

what kind of ceramic pads are good (i.e brand )

so i just get slotted or slotted+ drilled

Slotted or drilled rotors won't do anything for reducing the amount of brake dust, they just help the rotors/pads work better and cool better in hard use. Many people don't care for drilled rotors as the holes may be a weak point where cracks can start. Personally, I think our technology has reached the point that it's not actually an issue as it was when the idea was new and standard rotors were drilled.

There are lots of choices in brake pads and I will say that I prefer Hawk because I have used them on two different cars with great results. It would be a good idea to do some research to see if you can find ceramic pads that will accept the OEM brake wear sensors. Don't forget to replace the sensors when you replace the brake pads and it wouldn't hurt to flush the brake lines and put new brake fluid in.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Dust is orange?

These are the pads i have. I really like them.

category118_thumb_full.jpg

Yup, the dust is orange, kind of a rust color. It shows up on my Hyper black rims. Once I started treating them the dust didn't stick nearly as bad.

I think those are the same I have. Craig would know better then me, he installed them :biggrin:

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Yup, the dust is orange, kind of a rust color. It shows up on my Hyper black rims. Once I started treating them the dust didn't stick nearly as bad.

I think those are the same I have. Craig would know better then me, he installed them :biggrin:

will these fit in the stock calipers :questionmark:

The Hawk pads fit the stock caliper and some of them allow you to keep the brake wear sensor. If you go to the higher end Hawk pads, you can just tie the sensor back and then keep track of the brake wear. Mach V usually has the pad in stock.

Hey Chris, sorry for the delay in a reply. I would consider the wear sensors as a consumable part and replace them with the pads. If you go long enough, they do actually wear through and need to be replaced. There are only two of them, left front and right rear so it takes some of the "sting" out of replacing them.

Hey Chris, sorry for the delay in a reply. I would consider the wear sensors as a consumable part and replace them with the pads. If you go long enough, they do actually wear through and need to be replaced. There are only two of them, left front and right rear so it takes some of the "sting" out of replacing them.

ok thanks i didnt know if you had to or not but now i know thanks

I too am thinking of joining the low dust club, Mach V sells basically 3 pads that I would consider, so, I need some opinions:

1. HAWK HPS

2. HAWK HP+

3. HAWK Ceramic

I'd prefer to have functional sensors, and I'm also leaning towards the Ceramic - so that begs the question, do the ceramics support a functional sensor? If not, what's the next choice?

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com