TGGRRR (Ali)

2nd Annual MINIs Rally Against Melanoma

Last year we did a Time Speed and Distance Rally and it was fun.

This year we're doing a Gimmick Rally. It too will be a lot of fun and will test your skills of cunning and observation.

We also have a prize for the best rally themed car!!!

The start will be in the parking lot near the Ruby Tuesday in Gateway Center in Gainesville, VA. We'll be ending inside the beltway. The route promises to be challenging, adventurous and a lot of fun. Here's a link to the starting point

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ruby+Tuesday,+Iron+Bar+Lane,+Gainesville,+VA&hl=en&sll=29.797005,112.818555&sspn=27.503239,34.145508&doflg=ptm&t=h&z=16

If you're coming from inside the beltway take 66 West

exit at 43A route 29 south

merge in to 29 south, get left

take a left at the first light onto Linton Hall Rd

left at the first light onto Gateway Center Drive

1st left onto Iron Bar, we're meeting in the lot to the left by the Liberty Mutual.

We'll also be raising funds for the Melanoma Research Foundation. They're a great organization that has funded many grants to forward research into treatments, education and hopefully a cure for Melanoma. Melanoma is the most deadly form of skin cancer with a very low survival rate. We're working hard to change that!!!

How this rally works

Cars will leave in intervals

You should have at least 2 people in your MINI (not limited to MINIs). This rally works best with a driver and a navigator, if you have a third person it could be even better.

You will be provided with a set of directions, the directions will be very clear. Within the directions will be questions based on sites along the route. A question could be answered by the name of a cross street, or an image on a sign. You may need to pull off the edge of the road to find an answer, but you do not need to leave the route. You will be told if a question requires leaving the car to find the answer. All directions and questions are in the order that you will find them. For example, if we have you on street A and then you turn onto street B, the next questions would be about the stretch of Street B that you're on, there will not be a question about Street A. Questions will also be in order.

A sample question could be "What color is the tiger's sweater?". It could come between direction 10 and 11, so between that stretch you are looking for a sign or statue that has a tiger wearing a sweater. It will be very clear when you find the right answer.

You do not get points based off of your time and you will be given ample time to complete the route, stop for a snack etc. They say the first person in is never the winner. Ties are determined by mileage, you tell me your mileage, you can give your exact mileage or just tell me what you think it should have been. If there's a tie, it goes to the person that is closest without going under.

Like last year I am working on getting some good sponsors to provide some fun prizes to the participants. We will also be raffling off some prizes. I have received confirmation from Go Badges and Prima products that they are sending raffle prizes.

Registration cost: $25 per car (tax deductible)

Registration time: 9:30 - 10:00

Start time: 10:30

You can prepay on our event page by making a minimum $25 donation here

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/CAWilliams/2ndannualminisrallyagainstmelanoma2011/event

Things to bring

A clipboard and a pen

A map either on your smart phone or on paper. It helps if you get off track, to get you back on track.

Checks are made out to MRF (Melanoma Research Foundation)

GOODIE BAGS we have em!! For up to 30 cars.

The Melanoma Research Foundation hooked us up. I have sunscreen, sun sticks, sun detection wrist strips, black cancer bracelets, black ribbon magnets and a few other goodies. Passport MINI also hooked us up with some fun MINI swag!

Sponsors

Prima Car care

Target

Go Badges

Cravenspeed

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

Planning for this event has started. While you were all out having fun on the scavenger hunt I was running this route and getting lost. It has a little of everything. There's some busy roads, some residential roads, some country roads and everyone's favorite, a nice stretch of twisties.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Quitta and I went out to work on the route today. We ran a good chunk of the route and found landmarks to ask questions about. We have pictures of every landmark and are now coming up with fun and interesting questions that are answered by these various landmarks.

At the end of the rally there will be pictures on display of every question so that if there's any doubt about an answer you can see the answer.

We also hit the mid rally twisties which is the no questions asked section and it was clear of mini vans, YAY!!!

It's going to be a blast

Tggrrr010.jpg

Mark and I ran the rest of the route today, it's fully set and we have some fun and interesting quiz questions. It will challenge you and make for an interesting game.

I can't wait to see how well people do, this is a different kind of skill set. You need powers of observation to win this one.

:captain:

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm excited, thanks to Stephanie Klos club member with an awesome Spice Orange Cabrio we now have a $50 gift certificate from Target. I will be using it as either a winner's prize or a raffle prize.

Thanks for helping out Stephanie!!!

I'm also contacting Prima again for their support and I've been emailing with Craven Speed for some gift certificates.

Tggrrr010.jpg

We have a new sponsor this year

Go Badges is sending me some stuff for the raffles and Prima is supporting us again.

I also picked up some cool swag from Passport MINI for the goodie bags!!!

We have swag! both MINI and sun protection

:congrats:

Now we need more people to sign up.

I posted a link if you want to pay by credit card, it will save time at the registration.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Mark and I just re-ran the route. It was fun and all my ground work was good, I had very few errors in the first draft of the directions, yippeee. We did discover that one of the roads we were using was totally destroyed in a construction project, so had to do some quick re-routing. Good thing we're quadruple checking our route. We want you to have fun, not get lost.

We hit the twisty part of the route and flew through it behind a few motorcycles, some fun roads there, esp when you're not looking at the back of a mini van or an SUV.

The route took us about 2 and a half hours and we stopped for a break, I would think you guys will take about 3 hours minimum to get through it. You have plenty of time to pace yourselves, take a break and get a snack, even back track if you miss something.

This is a fundraiser and we really do need more participants. If anyone wants to invite their friends to drive in their car, please invite them along. At the end of the route we'll have some fun social time at the pub.

Two weeks till we rally!!!!!

Tggrrr010.jpg

Let's go everyone, let's get out there for the "ALI RALLY"! It's a good time, just waiting for you to show up!

Edited by cmcveay

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Hey DC Guys and Gals, Don't miss this chance to take your MINI out and have some fun with it! Gimmick Rallies are a LOT of fun. It's easier than it sounds, trust me! When you get the directions they'll have questions spaced in between the directions. If you get to the next direction before you answered the question, then you know you missed it. You just make a U turn and go back an dfind it or decide to keep going and get the next answer.

Don't think you need any special equipment or a super fast car. You don't! In all my years of running and organizing gimmick rallies, I've never seen the first car in win.

Besides, it's for a good cause and Ali has put a ton of work into it. AND...ya get to hang out with a bunch of MINI folks.

Goodie bags are packed, all participants will get some waterproof sunscreen, a sunsense detection bracelet, a black cancer bracelet, pens, a magnetic black ribbon, some fun MINI swag (tattoos or trading cards) and literature all delivered in a nice reusable bag (you can use this thing for groceries)

Tggrrr010.jpg

OK Everyone we rally this Sunday!!!

Does your team have a name picked out??? Ya gotta name your team.

Don't forget a clip board or something that you can use to lean your directions on to write, there are pens in the goodie bags.

The starting location has a Starbucks so if you get there early enough you can get your morning coffee and if your MINI needs fuel there's a station across the street from the start. Gainesville has cheap gas too.

When you get there the parking lot is always a bit more open off to the right where the Liberty Mutual is, so we're planning to start there. Just look for some MINIs. Mark and I will be there by 9:00 but registration doesn't start until 9:30.

Looking forward to a great rally and if anyone has any questions about how this is played or anything else about the event please ask.

Tggrrr010.jpg

Two quick questions:

1) I don't get the tie-breaking info: "Ties are determined by mileage, you tell me your mileage, you can give your exact mileage or just tell me what you think it should have been. If there's a tie, it goes to the person that is closest without going under"

Am I being dense when I don't understand this? :rofl:

2) I was thinking about PayPal-ing ahead of time. Can I throw in my membership fee into one payment?

2011 Clubman S - LzB/Black "Clubby"

Go Wahoos!

Saving Second Base, One Mile at a Time! (Round #3, May 2014) http://info.avonfoundation.org/goto/MShoe

2) I was thinking about PayPal-ing ahead of time. Can I throw in my membership fee into one payment?

The payment for this event is done though the Melanoma fundraising website.

Membership payments to DCMM is done through paypal on under User CP.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Signature.JPG