Maxicooper

Gran Turismo 5 Photomode

Who's got one of these setups I can test-drive before plunking down the $$? And by 'setup' I mean game, PS3, and steering wheel controller.

I can tell ya that getting the PS3 is worth it alone as a standalone Blu-ray player is gonna set you back quite a bit. the ability to stream HUlU and netflix is awesome too(provided you have an account). . .then there are the games.

Also, for a cheaper alternative to some of the wheel/pedal set up, this controller is pretty slick

hksps3controller.jpg

A steering-wheel-and-pedal setup for your PS3 starts at around $50, but you'll spend at least double that to get into the good stuff. HKS has teamed with InterWorks on a game controller solution that stays at the $50 mark but could work just as well as a wheel while being a little less intrusive.

The hot-coal red Hipermax III replaces the analog joysticks with a thumb wheel on the left side and throttle and brake buttons on the right side. The wheel has center stripe to aid steering, and the precise inputs of the throttle and brake controls are registered in the digital readout in the center of the controller.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/hks-racing-controller-for-ps3-just-makes-sense/

Edited by TATTRAT

WASABIFINAL.jpg.7de341e2df68d8efd5c1485317941c11.jpg

flickr

Also, for a cheaper alternative to some of the wheel/pedal set up, this controller is pretty slick

hksps3controller.jpg

That's very cool, but it's missing a pedal! :tongue:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

It does have a cool maro button mapping function though, allowing yo to make buttons do what you want. I am thinking r1 would be clutch.
Then what about the gear selection?

I suppose since you're talking about using only two hands to replace both two hands and two feet, it's quite difficult. I can definitely appreciate the ingenuity of the design - it's a great low-cost improvement to the standard controller, without paying bigger bucks for the full wheel & pedal setup.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Who's got one of these setups I can test-drive before plunking down the $$? And by 'setup' I mean game, PS3, and steering wheel controller.

Here is my poor man set up. :tongue:

From folding coffee table and IKEA chair, after some modification, it's mutated to my racing seat. :biggrin:

5227486156_123a94f342_b.jpg

Damn, might as well pick up a 46" TV just for GT5, then your setup is complete! :tongue:

Seriously, how's the realism compared to actually driving?

40" Sony 1080i is on sales right now, which should match perfectly for the game.

Btw, other than the lack of G-force, it is really close to the real driving. You will enjoy it. :top:

5223746679_1c2170d0df_b.jpg

Is the r56 in there?

Yes, there is '07 R56 in there, addition to '05 R53 and the classic. :biggrin:

Edited by Maxicooper

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electronics+Promotions/regularCat%3Apcmcat227100050017/pcmcat227100050017.c?id=pcmcat227100050017&DCMP=rdr1430

Best Buy has this deal that includes a TV, PS3, and GT5. It is how I got my TV last year and I sold the PS3 to a friend as I had one already.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]2010 MCS HzB/HzB|Alexandra "Alex"|Auto|Carbon Punch Leather|Cold Weather|Premium|16in alloy bridge spoke|USB/iPod|Sirius|Center Armrest|Auto A/C| Born 11/01/09 - Motoring 5/21/10

(Sold) 2002 BMW 330xi Black|102K miles|Bilstein HD Struts|H & R Sport Springs|Cold Weather|Premium|Xenon (Sold) 1999 BMW M3 Triple Black Convertible|Manual|100K Miles|Projector36 by Umnitza Ellipsoids + Predator 6000K Xenon

I remember a few years ago when I went to Dave and Busters and played a bunch of driving games. After I got in the car later, I felt like if I drove into walls it wasn't going to hurt. It took me a few minutes for real driving to feel normal again.

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I remember a few years ago when I went to Dave and Busters and played a bunch of driving games. After I got in the car later, I felt like if I drove into walls it wasn't going to hurt. It took me a few minutes for real driving to feel normal again.

Ali

Not anymore. In GT5, at level 20 and above, if you hit something it will show damage to the structure of the cars. And with new update (coming soon), it will damage machanically as well. The cars will lose there performance accordingly how much damage it will be. :top:

I think it would be interesting if they added driver damage when you crash. A little bump here or there wouldn't affect you but bigger collisions would affect your vision and perhaps coordination. Like in some FPS games when you get shot...

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman