tvrgeek

Planning mods for spring

Had it enough to know what to attack. When I get it back from the dealer for the long list of defects I already enumerated, I will start "fixing" the rest to make it as enjoyable as it should be.

Grabby breaks. Hawk HPS or PC, not sure which. Anyone have experience here?

Got to dump the run flats. I see the OEM 17 x 7 are listed as 48mm offset, but most aftermarket as 40. Big difference. I want 205 or 215's on it but want it to clear. Long term maybe drop an inch and a half or so. Any advice?

Did Mini correct the strut tower problem, or are the plates still required for the R56? I would rather know before they deform.

Working on ways to move the console switches so I can reach them and a dash pod with voltmeter, temp and oil P. I have about half a mind to put a VDO speedometer in it so I can set it accuratly. Hey, noticed the Md. State was pulling over cars on 270 doing 60 this morning. Must be their plan to solve the state deficit.

I plan on losing the rear seats and putting in a flat deck with a mini spare mounted on it.

I'm running 17x7 +45 offset Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2s (http://www.fastmini.net/tedypr12.html - seen in my sig pic & the page at Fast Mini) with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 215/45R17 for summer. I love them, but the tread wear rating is 200 so they aren't exactly long lasting. When I do wear through them, I'll be getting them again. Jason (LV2CRNR) had the same tire for his Gen1 Cooper before he got a Clubman and, afaik, is a fan too.

As for strut tower; no problems so far and I've hit some monster potholes - more now due to the lovely road clearing damage. I've heard no definitive proof about the deformation being "really" fixed, though.

If you're looking for oil p or temp, there's a tapless adapter from Cravenspeed that's been back and forth on my list: https://cravenspeed.com/index.php?productID=220. I don't know if you can get both pressure and temp or if it's an either/or proposition. That's inexperience talking, so take it for what it's worth ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 for the +45 offset which is what my Rota Torque wheels have. I'm running 235/40R-17's non run-flat Kumho's on them. I went with the Ecsta ASX which is an extreme performance all season tire. Can't help on the brake pads as I went with a Wilwood brake kit up front and the rear is still OEM.

There are a few threads on NAM regarding 2nd Gen's having the strut towers deformed. The day I lowered mine, I put STD's and a cross brace on it.

At one point, I was running 225's and my speedo was within 1mph of being accurate (according to a couple of GPS systems I have) but now, I'm back to the OEM diameter and it's off by the same amount as it was. To be honest, if I had to pick something that bugs me the least, that would be it because I don't think I've ever owned a car that was correct. My 04 VW is off by that amount, the spouse's 350Z is off by just a little less and I drove a CJ-7 for 5 years that didn't even have a speedo that worked!

Good luck with the mods!

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

Hmm. Another post seemed to disappear.

Hawk responded that their feedback favored the PC over the HPS for street use in Mini's. Sounds like a plan.

An hour or so studying dimentions and options I could either put 205-5-16's on the OEM wheels and just buy a mini spare, or 215-50-17 on some new 7 inch rims. I find lots of used OEM mini wheels in California, but have not found any locally. I prefer OEM as they are usually true, strong, and fit. If anyone happens to have some OEM 17's, let me know. There are a lot of quality wheels out there though. Something easier to clean in a dark, but not black color. Black is just too much for bright silver/black trim. My experience with sticky tires as wide as 225 or more is the car gets too sensitive to the road irregularities and you have to chase it too much. Now I need to decide, RE960's or Conti Extreme Contact DWS. I had the 960's on my RSX and liked them very much. Easy to drive, talked to you, predictable in the wet. Reports are also very good on the Conti. About time. They have not been on top since the mid 70's. Either tire would gain me a tad on the speedo error. Guess I am spoiled as my last 5 Honda's, Volvo, and 4 Saabs were dead on. Maybe I can justiofy the 17's as it should make it close enough I would not need to fool with an additional speedo I could calibrate.

I forgot to mention the rear seat delete. I did it and I'm glad I did! If I really need the rear seats (our other "Primary" car is also a 2 seater), it takes about 10 minutes to put the seats back into the car. I'll look and see if I can figure out which kit I used to do it but it's just as you mentioned, a large flat area that really cleans up the back of the car. I carpeted mine so things don't slide around on it and I've also got two pillows under it to cut down on the amount of noise that came from the empty cavity. With the rear seat delete, I was able to fit a 44 bottle wine fridge in the back - in the box - and drive home with both of us sitting IN the car. It's pretty darn roomy back there without it!

Craig

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "Homer"

2012 MB/CR JCW R55 "Merlin" Sold

2009 LB/LB R56 "Archie" Sold

I installed one of my Spring mods today - well, it isn't technically a mod, but I had to replace my antenna mount since mine got broken:embarassed:

I do have some other items planned though :rock:

2006 MCS, SB/S , "B.A."

• Performance: DINAN "Stage 5" tune, throttle body, boost kit (fuel pump, pulley), & CAI; JCW exhaust sans resonator, brakes, & GP IC; DDM IC diverter; CSF Racing Aluminum Radiator
  • Suspension: DINAN front strut brace; Alta 22mm rear bar; KW V1 coil-overs; H-Sport adjustable rear control arms; CravenSpeed strut underators
  • Interior: CravenSpeed gauge mounts with Cooper S boost and voltage, & shift well cover
  • Wheels: Enkei PF01 17"
  • Audio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 HU; MTX Terminator speakers F&B

Alan @ opensource.com

I installed one of my Spring mods today - well, it isn't technically a mod, but I had to replace my antenna mount since mine got broken:embarassed:

I do have some other items planned though :rock:

suspension? ;)

Cricket is getting new wheels & tires. The wheels are the same ones Cameroon has and the tires will be Pirelli PZeros. I'm sticking with runflats, I don't mind them so much and I like having the piece of mind.

I'm not sure what else I'm going to do. I might replace the boot stripes, they're not looking so great.

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

The only real "mod" (other than some minor fixes/repairs) coming to my MINI for the spring are the GP underbody panels.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

My Spring list is long...

Finally straightened out my real license plate and removed the smashed up license plate holder and badges. (someone had apparently run into me while I was parked somewhere)

Biggest spring project:

My NM springs (hey, springs for spring!) will go on once I get my new wheels the beginning of next month. Buying OZ Ultraleggeras (matte graphite silver) and probably Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (205/45R17).

Next biggest project:

Paint my grill trim black and my headlight rings Chili Red if I can find some....

Then a bunch of other 'stuff' that's less of a priority.

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

The only real "mod" (other than some minor fixes/repairs) coming to my MINI for the spring are the GP underbody panels.

That's only because you've already rebuilt your car, so nothing can really count as a mod ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cricket is getting new wheels & tires. The wheels are the same ones Cameroon has and the tires will be Pirelli PZeros. I'm sticking with runflats, I don't mind them so much and I like having the piece of mind.

I'm not sure what else I'm going to do. I might replace the boot stripes, they're not looking so great.

Piece of mind is great, I will concede that. I did pick up a screw in one. Easy. But I prefer my tires to be in contact with the ground. The runflats just don't have that little give for expansion joints in a corner. I did not mind having to catch my Morgan when it jumped sideways over every bump, but I should not have to in a modern car. I think the spring and shock rates are about right, just needing that little tire give. The front almost stays down, just almost. It is the rear that hops too much.

The S stock is about like my RSX with the original KW V1 rear springs. I went one K lower in the rear and it was just enough. It was then a superb suspension.

I could always slow down in corners, but then why would I have a Mini?