My factory warranty ends in April. I love my MINI but I know it does also require a fair amount of visits to the dealer. Have any of you purchased an extended warranty plan? I was looking at some online and didn't see that any would cover my convertible top. That thing will break again and I don't want to spend thousands if I can avoid it.

Any ideas?

Ali

Tigger 2006 the cabrio and Riversong the 2014 Countryman

Tggrrr010.jpg

I didn't like the terms vs the price for any I was able to find on the MINI. The cost for the difference in coverage length (time and mileage) didn't seem worth it. And honestly I'm not much of a fan of most extended warranties for $ on products.

On the other hand I had no idea it could be so negotiable.When I bought my Flex last summer the warr was 3/36,000 bumper to bumper and 5/60,000 on powertrain. They offered 5/70,000 bumper to bumper for like $2,000. I said no fast and they came down a bit. I said no, and I said both the time and mileage beyond the stock coverage are way too low, even at a lower price. Over half and hour and at least 6-7 offers and other people getting into the fun I eventually got 7 year/100,000 bumper to bumper for about $1100. That I felt was a deal and well worth it.

Bottom line, turns out extended warraties are at least sometimes HIGHLY negotiable.

Bottom line, turns out extended warraties are at least sometimes HIGHLY negotiable.
I received some "insider info" on extended warranties - they typically have a 100% markup from dealer cost. If you have an agreeable rep with which to bargain, you can indeed get the cost way down.

In the end, I was able to get it for dealer cost + $100. It was still very expensive (I opted for the highest coverage available to me) but it has already paid out once for repairs, so I feel a bit better about it.

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Good to know when I buy my next one new. I got Tigger used.

I have already replaced the top, the clutch and lots of little stuff has been fixed. I hear that around 50,000 miles it's not unusual for the convertible roof cables to break and it's an expensive fix.

Ali

Tggrrr010.jpg

Just for comparison, in 2006 when my 2002 R53's factory warranty was due to expire I got an extended warranty from MINI of Towson for $2615 for 7 years/75,000 miles. I wish I had researched and negotiated it more, but since then the warranty has covered more than $6000 in repairs (too many to mention), so I think it was a good investment.

If you want to keep your R52 for a while and you can negotiate a good deal, I would definitely get the extended warranty. But you should make sure that any warranty you do get covers all components of the convertible because there are many different policies and coverage.

Finally, I recently was told by a MINI of Sterling SA that my extended warranty company, Warrantech Companies dba Car Care Connection, have been difficult to deal with. He also said that MoS deals with (or sells contracts for) Fidelity, which I've heard is generally good for BMWs and MINIs. Good luck.

I just talked with PMoA on Saturday about getting the extended warranty for Cricket and I was shocked at how much they wanted. He told us the "retail" price was $5500 and he could probably come down about $1700, so that's still over $4000!! I haven't bought it yet because that seemed really high. This was for the additional 4year/60,000 mile warranty.

Any advice or experience with getting it for less?

image.php?u=8&type=sigpic&dateline=14186

I'm in the market too, having just 3,000 more miles left until I hit 50k. It's hard to imagine needing it considering my MINI is less than two years old but I've heard so many stories I'm really considering buying it. But even if I get a 100k warranty, that would only cover another 2 years :frown:

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman

I didn't like the terms vs the price for any I was able to find on the MINI. The cost for the difference in coverage length (time and mileage) didn't seem worth it. And honestly I'm not much of a fan of most extended warranties for $ on products.

On the other hand I had no idea it could be so negotiable.When I bought my Flex last summer the warr was 3/36,000 bumper to bumper and 5/60,000 on powertrain. They offered 5/70,000 bumper to bumper for like $2,000. I said no fast and they came down a bit. I said no, and I said both the time and mileage beyond the stock coverage are way too low, even at a lower price. Over half and hour and at least 6-7 offers and other people getting into the fun I eventually got 7 year/100,000 bumper to bumper for about $1100. That I felt was a deal and well worth it.

Not sure if Mark is still around but does anyone know who he went for extended warranty on his Flex:questionmark: Looking for a FORD-friendly warranty.

2009 MCS, HzB/B, CWP, PP, "BLUR" MOTORING ID: SOAR143 - MINI Community Service

2013 JCW GP, Thunder Grey, "SMOKIE" MOTORING ID: FAST060

2014 MCS Clubman, Highclass Gray, "THE ADMIRAL" 

Not sure if Mark is still around but does anyone know who he went for extended warranty on his Flex:questionmark: Looking for a FORD-friendly warranty.

I finally got the AAA extended warranty, and it has been awesome. Covers most everything. They handle all kinds of makes and models.

Tggrrr010.jpg

The factory warranty covers the clutch. They replaced one is Merlin at about 20k.

Thanks. That's what I thought I'd heard (just couldn't recall from where). Also from what I remember the main cost of any clutch work in the MINI comes from the labor as the entire front end has to come off. A one-time clutch replacement at the dealership was enough to cover the cost of the extended warranty (again, from my foggy memory).

The AAA guy was trying to tell me how I didn't need the clutch option as the only way I was going to need a new clutch under 100K miles was if I didn't know how to drive one. I had to explain to him that warranty coverage isn't for covering what should happen, it's for covering what shouldn't.

image.php?u=1046&type=sigpic&dateline=13

The factory warranty covers the clutch. They replaced one is Merlin at about 20k.

I'm pretty sure this is the maintenance warranty, not the powertrain. The clutch is considered a consumable, so I believe it is highly unlikely that a extended warranty would cover it. I do know that it's covered under my extended maintenance, though.

Thanks. That's what I thought I'd heard (just couldn't recall from where). Also from what I remember the main cost of any clutch work in the MINI comes from the labor as the entire front end has to come off. A one-time clutch replacement at the dealership was enough to cover the cost of the extended warranty (again, from my foggy memory).

The AAA guy was trying to tell me how I didn't need the clutch option as the only way I was going to need a new clutch under 100K miles was if I didn't know how to drive one. I had to explain to him that warranty coverage isn't for covering what should happen, it's for covering what shouldn't.

AAA is not a maintenance warranty, it's an extended warranty for stuff that breaks but not things like the clutch, brakes, hoses etc. MINI has an extended maintenance warranty which will cover the clutch but it won't cover things like your turbo, parts failures etc

Different types of warranties

Tggrrr010.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the maintenance warranty, not the powertrain. The clutch is considered a consumable, so I believe it is highly unlikely that a extended warranty would cover it. I do know that it's covered under my extended maintenance, though.

Per Rockwell: The clutch is covered by the extended maintenance plan (which I already have).

Still need/want PMOA quote for comparison as I shop.

Clutch is considered a wear and tear item usually. I have the MINI Maintenance program to 100K and just hope if the clutch goes they say its worn.

R50 04 PS MCa - Sold

R53 05 PS MCSa - Sold

R56 12 LiB/B MCSm Born 10/13/11 Bought 10/31/11 Home 11/5/11. CW, TP, SP, Sunroof, Xenon w/B Housings, AnthraciteHeadliner, Tint, JCW CF door handles, JCW CF Spoiler, JCW STB, DDM Street CAI, Stubby, Black grill, Black R98, JB+

Which level did you go with? Silver, Gold or Platinum?

I know you weren't asking me, but I went with Platinum. The upside: it paid for itself within three months. The 2nd repair, I think it was a blown turbo, exceeded the total cost of the warranty. The downside: it paid for itself within three months with a single repair exceeding the total cost of the warranty.

Also, when I traded in my '11, I was only 20K miles into the 100K coverage, so I received a prorated refund of the unused portion.

I know you weren't asking me, but I went with Platinum. The upside: it paid for itself within three months. The 2nd repair, I think it was a blown turbo, exceeded the total cost of the warranty. The downside: it paid for itself within three months with a single repair exceeding the total cost of the warranty.

Also, when I traded in my '11, I was only 20K miles into the 100K coverage, so I received a prorated refund of the unused portion.

Sounds good. I just sent in the final payment on Phineus, who is now 37 months old, so I guess I need to do something here.

image.php?u=179&type=sigpic&dateline=140