DER_MINI

Transmission Issue on Manual 2006 MCS

Hey all. Former DCMM member (and soon-to-be again). My 2006 MCS, DER_MINI, died a little last night. Or a lot. I'm not sure.

Before details, here's the car's vitals: 24k miles, 15% pulley reduction, CAI, and, last but not least, out of warranty.

And now, what happened. Last night as I was parking, I put the car in reverse and as I let up on the clutch, there's a little grinding and then a "ka-chunk". I think, "That's weird," but reverse is working, so I park the car. Then I take it out of reverse to put it into first and . . . nothing. The stick moves forward with no resistance. It will not move left or right or backwards. Just forward, and, again, there is no resistance. With clutch, without clutch, doesn't matter.

So, the question (of course) is: What happened? An ancillary question would be: How much am I going to be paying to fix this?

Any help on diagnosis or suggestions or just plain commiseration would be welcomed.

~Ryan

Hopefully it will be nothing more than an inexpensive, relatively-easy-to-fix, repair of the shift linkage. But somebody needs to put the car up on a lift and take a good look.

Thanks. I talked on the phone with a Service Advisor at Passport MINI and he said, from the way I described it, that it may be "as simple as a snapped cable, or your clutch, or slave cylinder." Certainly better than a full transmission replacement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Shouldn't this be covered by the warranty.

If I am not mistaken it should be 4 years or 50,000 miles?

He's probably over 50,000 miles... either that or it was one of the very early 2006 models (i.e. built & sold in the latter half of 2005).

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

He's probably over 50,000 miles... either that or it was one of the very early 2006 models (i.e. built & sold in the latter half of 2005).

I always thought the warranty was a 3-year. (And now I realize, after a quick google search that it is 4-year. Hey, good to know.) Anyway, car only has 24,500 miles.

And now the good news: it was just a popped clutch cable. No charge to repair. They also diagnosed a leaking thermostat (which I suspected, since two weeks ago my coolant reservoir was nearly dry), recommended a coolant flush and a brake-line flush, and the Level 1 Inspection (which I'm coming up on in a few hundred miles). Thermostat replaced under warranty, and the rest about $800.

I'm totally stoked right now.

Thanks all.

~Ryan

That's awesome news, Ryan! :top:

"Mr. OEM" - 05 JCW (TK, GPIC, SS, GPTA, R56 RSB, StBr, R56 BBK, GPWhls, SV, RS, R56 GSI, IES, StrWhl, GK, HG, LBIT) MCS, HB/HB, Packs: 1, 2, 3 & 4. LSD, Rear FL, LB/PB upholstery (inc. LB SB & HB), HB Int, Anth. HL, PDC, Nav. OEM: DPSM+Aux, SIRIUS, BT, RV Cam, Aux gauges, ILK, Alarm, AK, PFM, DL, SpLnk, CFD, CSL, BIW, R52 diag rods, EuroTL, EuroWT, EPS, EASM. AM: IanCullAUC, Intravee+KCA420i, SchrothR4, MM-STR.

License Plate: SUV2BIG MotoringID: CARVE129

Lucky, my transmission went out and I WAS out of warranty and it was 7 grand

Edited by Edge
Typo fix :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] MR EZ; 06 MCS HB/HB, Sport, Conv, Cold, Areo Kit, Rack, JCW wing, rear fog and lots of nice stickers

never mind...

quirk - '12 CR MCS 6m, WP, MR, HK. Conti DWS, Kosei K4R, Hardened NM TA insert, NM strut bar, Rennline skidplate, WMW heat shield, Philips X-treme, OEM Lumbars, mudflaps & black trim, free camber mod, WeatherTech mats, RearGuard...